Moog front coil spring install: white mark up or down? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Moog front coil spring install: white mark up or down?

67 vette guy
Nov 15th, 09, 6:11 PM
The Moog front coil springs I have for my 69 have a white mark on one end. Yes, I misplaced the installation notice sometime ago. I looked at both ends and could not really determine a flat portion. Any help? Does the white spot go up or down?
TIA,

GRN69CHV
Nov 15th, 09, 7:03 PM
Not sure on the white marks. Upper part of coil is noticeably flatter. End that sits in the control arm will have the pigtail slighty down. Just curious what spring did you get. I had 5390's in there, had to cut 1/2 coil for ride height, spring was still a little too stiff for my liking. I just installed 5372's. listed as std spring for 70-72 w/o AC. Very happy with these. Ride height is good, ride is nice.

Rizzi427
Nov 15th, 09, 7:17 PM
The right choice Moog #5372 we have been using it for years in all Chevelles.Ride /height/ the right way to go~~~~ finally Bob Rizzi

LS7
Nov 15th, 09, 7:32 PM
The Moog front coil springs I have for my 69 have a white mark on one end. Does the white spot go up or down?
I want to say the top (UP) but not %100 sure, IIRC the instructions may be on the box. I can check a box I have in the garage attic if necessary. :thumbsup:

Rizzi427
Nov 15th, 09, 7:45 PM
John, 100% right "white" goes up ^ MOOG/ Bob RIZZI

LS7
Nov 15th, 09, 8:01 PM
John, 100% right "white" goes up ^ MOOG/ Bob RIZZI
Thanks for the confirmation Bob. :thumbsup: It has been a couple of years since I replaced a pair of front coils, and the old memory isn't what it used to be. :o

Rizzi427
Nov 15th, 09, 8:12 PM
John,no problem I hit 60 this year and have had this Chevelle "Thing" since 1965.When I work on these cars I go down as smooth as oil but I can't get back up !!!!

67 vette guy
Nov 15th, 09, 8:29 PM
On my Ground Up bill... it just lists 69 big block. If it matters, my car has factory air. I remember see some numbers stamped on one end. The chassis is across town. I'll check ont the stamping info. Thanks to all...

Chevelle4evr
Nov 17th, 09, 11:34 AM
Speaking of coils. I also bought a set of Moog coils from Groundup. IS there a trick to get them in? I am using a spring compressor, but I just can't get them compressed enough to get them in. I'm working with a bare frame, so there's no weight on the frame to use a jack to install them. Any ideas? I spent about 4 hours last night with no luck. And don't suggest bagging it with air bags!

6t7gto
Nov 17th, 09, 1:14 PM
This worked for me with my bare frame...
http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthread.php?t=386527&highlight=coil+spring+install

david

Chevelle4evr
Nov 17th, 09, 4:29 PM
I thought about that, but the rental I have from Advance Auto won't work in my favor that way. The threaded part is too wide for the shock tower hole, just by a little bit. Would it be wise to widen the shock tower hole in order to slide in the thread? Either that, or do the reverse, mount it on the control arm end and rachet down. The latter seems very dangerous and scary. I'm almost sorry I took them off. Taking them off was easy compared to this!

Thanks in advance!

~Will

rocks66ss
Nov 17th, 09, 5:32 PM
Speaking of coils. I also bought a set of Moog coils from Groundup. IS there a trick to get them in? I am using a spring compressor, but I just can't get them compressed enough to get them in. I'm working with a bare frame, so there's no weight on the frame to use a jack to install them. Any ideas? I spent about 4 hours last night with no luck. And don't suggest bagging it with air bags!

Take a 4 x 4 thats long enough to go from your frame to the ceiling in your garage, with a smaller piece of 4 x 4 that will span across a couple of ceiling joists for support. This will spread the pressure across a couple of joists.

Rocky

mwiggett
Nov 17th, 09, 8:53 PM
Just installed some and the instructions said white mark up