1970 Chevelle SS question [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 1970 Chevelle SS question

macs69
Oct 13th, 09, 11:44 AM
Ok, here's a tuffy... Found a beautiful '70 SS Chevelle yesterday. Car has everything I'm looking for... Factory tach dash with 6500 rpm tach (original to the car), cowl induction with the flap, LS7 crate engine w/ "569" intake, original cowl air cleaner, correct fan, etc.. Body is a no rust body, and has been painted the correct Forest Green, and appears flawless. Has been sitting for 4 years since painted, and needs reassembly. Has all parts to complete car, but the whole interior including dash is out.

Sooo, based on an October '69 production date, this is probably a L78 car. It just needs reassembled, and you'd have a pretty much perfect car. Is it worth the $20k asking price? There is no documentation....

Bunz-T
Oct 13th, 09, 12:04 PM
Car has everything I'm looking for...

How much less can you pay and still use these words in the description. Just those words alone may ad many thousands of dollars over someone who is less passionate about the car. Just think how much you are already ahead by being able to look yourself and the freight savings.

704EVER
Oct 13th, 09, 12:16 PM
Pictures would really help, it's hard to evaluate without them.

macs69
Oct 13th, 09, 12:31 PM
Nick, will be tough to get pictures right now. Car is in typical "just painted" condition. No exterior stainless on it right now, no bumpers, no door handles, etc. He has TriCity rechromed bumpers, and all parts to complete. It's buried in a storage building right now....

704EVER
Oct 13th, 09, 12:43 PM
Nick, will be tough to get pictures right now. Car is in typical "just painted" condition. No exterior stainless on it right now, no bumpers, no door handles, etc. He has TriCity rechromed bumpers, and all parts to complete. It's buried in a storage building right now....

From my experience with deals like this, it always seems to cost me 5-10K in parts, to REALLY finish the car. A very good inventory of what is actually there and what is not would be my first order of business. Also, even though they claim all the parts are there, are they all still useable or do they need to be replaced.

macs69
Oct 13th, 09, 1:20 PM
Good input, guys. I need to rein myself in a little.....I don't want to spend another $5-10k to finish a car that I'll be way upside down in after a ton of work....

704EVER
Oct 13th, 09, 1:51 PM
I'm certainly not trying to scare you off this car, you just need to be really thorough in evaluating it. I have a customer who just bought a 70 Chevelle, matching numbers, frame off, frame done, drivetrain installed, fresh out of the paint shop, and the interior needs to be installed. All the parts are there but I just put together a list of the parts he still needs and the parts he needs to replace because the old ones are just that, old. His list totals just over 7K. This is a very common senario, that's all. Good luck!!!:thumbsup:

Bunz-T
Oct 13th, 09, 2:05 PM
It is just hard far me to comprehend $20K + Only my labor = Finished and done. If it is possible you should be outside hooking up a trailer and on your way after it .

macs69
Oct 13th, 09, 2:13 PM
I agree. If it ended at $20k, with a bunch of wrench turning on my end, I'm all over it. I'll let you know what pans out....

Bunz-T
Oct 13th, 09, 2:28 PM
Maybe at $25K too. If you are short of money I will just print you some. :D

Good Luck.

macs69
Oct 13th, 09, 3:01 PM
Thanks! Send as much as you'd like, and bill size is not important, lol.

Bunz-T
Oct 13th, 09, 3:04 PM
To save on postage I will just you one $5000 one!

Burnsamatic
Oct 13th, 09, 3:59 PM
As far as the L78 goes, no way of proving without paperwork.

macs69
Oct 13th, 09, 4:11 PM
You are absolutely correct. Value of the car would be that it is an extremely nice '70 Chevelle that was probably a L78 car... but would not command the $$$ of a build sheet or numbers matching car.

macs69
Oct 14th, 09, 4:17 PM
Well, I offered the fellow $18k, and he said that he had to get $20k. Guess I'll keep looking....

Bisquit037
Oct 14th, 09, 5:04 PM
Well, I offered the fellow $18k, and he said that he had to get $20k. Guess I'll keep looking....

I would not let 2k get in the way if it's really what you want.

704EVER
Oct 14th, 09, 5:35 PM
Did you inventory what he has for parts that go with the car? It may very well be worth 20K and a good deal at 20K. Without knowing what's actually there or not for parts, it's hard to say if you walked away from a good deal for 2K. A new decent paint job is 10K alone in my neck of the woods, just a thought.