winter storage [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: winter storage

baron
Oct 8th, 09, 5:42 PM
What are you guys doing for winter storage in very cold climates regarding fuel antifreeze basic engine maintenance. First year for the new engine tranny also first year engine has ran very fresh 350:hurray:its getting cold here:(some opinions would be helpful thanx

Don_Lightfoot
Oct 8th, 09, 6:05 PM
I use my own garage Bryan and have since I got back into the hobby in 1991. To me the most important thing is to keep the humidity down which is one reason why I added a propane heater in 1995. I don't believe cold temperatures in themselves will do any harm. Mine is now shut down for the season until late April or early May. You may get some responses about numerous things which should be done. To be honest, I've never really done too much except - 1) add some fuel stabilizer, 2) - take out the good R59 battery, 3) - add some "anti rodent" stuff in the trunk, engine compartment and inside. Adding air to the bias ply tires is a good thing, but I've actually never done that and haven't had a problem (I usually rotate the tires 120* twice over the winter). You will also get different opinions as to whether to run the engine a couple of times over the winter which is really your call. Storage for longer than a few months is an entirely different ball game.

I've never used one, but a car bag is the best option fior sure.

steve_sutherland
Oct 8th, 09, 7:36 PM
With mine i just add fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas. I also use tinfoil to make a little cup that I put mothballs in, and lay then around the car, in the back (El Camino), and sitting on the inner fenders. Then a rag in the tailpipe and that's all that I do.

I know a lot of people like to start the car a couple times over the winter. I don't with mine. After sitting for a while, the oil will have mostly ran down, Although it wont be fatal to a motor, I cant imagine a couple low oil pressure starts every year are good for it. As well heating up the cold exhuast pipe(s) will cause condesation in the exhuast. That is why I don't bother starting mine during the winter. Although that is just me, some people may entirely disagree with me.

EDIT: Also, the Last two years I have stored my car with a good quality car cover on it, I am still undecided about it this year however because of a recent paint job.

grandsport
Oct 8th, 09, 7:40 PM
I hate to think about it!:sad:

baron
Oct 8th, 09, 7:43 PM
Don do you top up the tank with premium then ad the proper amount of stabil.

baron
Oct 8th, 09, 7:45 PM
The wife wants another picture of the dog :)

charbilly2001
Oct 8th, 09, 7:51 PM
I've heard lots of ideas over the years. Don't know which to buy and which to toss.

#1 50/50 antifreeze is always a good idea if the garage is unheated.
#2 Put the car on jack stands and deflate the tires. Inhibits "cracking" of the rubber.
#3 I've never had a "car bag" but if it's rodent proof it sounds like a good idea.
#4 A rag or steel wool in the tail pipe(s). Good blockage against rodents.
#5 Don't start the car in the winter. All that does is encourage condensation in the engine.
#6 First start in the spring should be preceeded by an engine crank for oil pressure build-up minus spark plugs.
#7 Remove the battery and DO NOT set it on the floor. At minimum make sure it's sitting up on wooden 2x4's rather than concrete.
#8 Moth balls might keep rodents away. Don't know. Never stored a car over a winter.
#9 Do anything possible to de-humidify the storage space. Keeps things like brakes and brake hardware from rusting.

Etc...

steve_sutherland
Oct 8th, 09, 7:55 PM
Oh, looking at the list made me think of something else, in addition to my other post, I also disconnect my battery

baron
Oct 8th, 09, 8:01 PM
Car is minus the interior for the winter but was still wondering ab ot the cooling system as far as draining or using rust inhibitor brand new rad with hard lines

grandsport
Oct 8th, 09, 8:02 PM
I've read conflicting opinions on the gas stabilizer thing.

Dean
Oct 8th, 09, 8:13 PM
About all I've ever done is disconnect one battery cable and put a float charger on it.
I already have antifreeze in it so nothing to do there.

On nice days, I can connect the battery cable, start it up and GO.

One year though, I did have a mouse that chewed the insulation off of a bunch of the black wires and chewed up a couple of black vacuum hoses. :mad:
He never touched any of the red wires. :confused:

Don_Lightfoot
Oct 8th, 09, 8:13 PM
Don, do you top up the tank with premium then ad the proper amount of stabil.

Never have Bryan. Whatever is left in there by this time of year is how it stays. Run the car for a few minutes after adding the stabil so it gets in the lines and carb. Never had a problem this way in 18 years.

baron
Oct 8th, 09, 8:14 PM
I apoligize i missed Steves reply on the stabil topic thanx Steve.

CY72SS
Oct 8th, 09, 8:38 PM
I've had my 72SS (LS3) Chevelle since 1999. Every winter I fill the tank, put the car on jack stands (to take the weight off the suspension and for cleaning the bottom from last summers driving). I put the battery on a trickle charger. I start it once a month and run it until there is no moisture vapor coming out of the exhaust (Gardner Exhaust System). I have done this for going on 10 years. I have had no problems.

In the spring, change oil and i'm ready to go for another season of crusing.

Chris R
Oct 8th, 09, 8:43 PM
When I put my car in storage I clean it up and put a cover over it. I also have a set of not so nice wheels and tires that I also put on. Although that step isnt really necessary. I will also put a fuel stabilizer in the tank like Seafoam. I dont do anything special with the engine to prepare it.

Green-cars-live-forever
Oct 8th, 09, 9:43 PM
Stabilizer into a full tank of gas and let it sit. I dont think starting it makes alot of sense.

if you have mice around put boxes of rat poison in as many places as you can think of.

Thats all there is to it.

baron
Oct 9th, 09, 4:39 PM
Thats why i love this site lots of good input and opinions thanx everyone

steve_sutherland
Oct 10th, 09, 9:14 PM
Thats why i love this site lots of good input and opinions thanx everyone

Not a problem:yes: Feel free to ask anything, anytime:thumbsup::D

Chevy 70 SS vert
Oct 10th, 09, 10:36 PM
I am a little different.

I try and drive each of the vehicles once every 2 weeks. That way I do not have to worry about the fuel thing, the antifreeze thing, and the battery thing. I never drive the car when it is wet outside. Here in KC I can generally can get the car out every 2-3 weeks and not have any weather issues.