Harbor Freight coil spring compressor and ball joint separator [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Harbor Freight coil spring compressor and ball joint separator

csilkman
Jun 16th, 04, 9:21 AM
Has anybody ever used these two tools from Harbor Freight. They cost $9.99 so I do realize you get what you pay for but I will most likely only be using each tool once or twice.

I am putting in new front end bushings, springs and shocks and need the right tools. But I'm on a tight budget.

67lemanster
Jun 16th, 04, 9:56 AM
Originally posted by csilkman:
Has anybody ever used these two tools from Harbor Freight. They cost $9.99 so I do realize you get what you pay for but I will most likely only be using each tool once or twice.

I am putting in new front end bushings, springs and shocks and need the right tools. But I'm on a tight budget. there have been alot of posts lately over at second gen camaros about harbor frieghts coil spring compressors busting when the spring is under load. if i had a choice i would either find a good spring compressor or use the floor jack method. the latter is my choice i am careful and take my time and have not had any problems.

John_Muha
Jun 16th, 04, 10:08 AM
I have both. If you are going to install new ball joints you don't need the ball joint seperater. The job can be done with a 4 pound machinist hammer purchased from Home Depot.
The spring compresser is dead after about 4 springs. All the threads are rolled over on the shaft. I'm amazed it didn't bust loose or get stuck when TimC was using it.

hilljack
Jun 16th, 04, 10:38 AM
Yeah I had one strip the threads right off but I didn't grease it. The second one has lasted a few springs and still looks to be in fine shape. The sad day will come when we have to start paying American made prices for this stuff. Ace Hardware made in China tools aint cheap :eek:

The jack method works fine, you can tie the spring down with a chain for safety.

zefhix
Jun 16th, 04, 3:43 PM
yep, my spring compressor was crap after two springs...that's why I bought two sets. My brother had exactly the same problem as well. I didn't use them like you were supposed to, though. Used the shock mount and used the compressor on the inside of the spring accompanied by a chain and jack.....a little easier but still just as scary. :eek:

feedphillipnow
Jun 16th, 04, 4:16 PM
HEY HILLJACK, Your in Orangevale? Are you in SacChevelles?

Got_CID?
Jun 16th, 04, 5:47 PM
The ball joint separators are ok, but they are made from a somewhat softer metal and tend to get gouged after using them a few times. You get what you pay for from that place.

jocww
Jun 16th, 04, 5:59 PM
i have both the spring compressors suck and the pickle forks are ok i broke one and they gave me a free replacement.

TimC
Jun 16th, 04, 6:16 PM
Originally posted by John_Muha:
The spring compresser is dead after about 4 springs. All the threads are rolled over on the shaft. I'm amazed it didn't bust loose or get stuck when TimC was using it. I owe you one John graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Those big block springs definitely put some miles on your compressor. graemlins/sad.gif

If you're needing to do any springs, let me know and I'll have a new compressor for you.

wes migletz
Jun 16th, 04, 6:29 PM
Could someone recommend a quality spring compressor that would last more than a few cycles that could be purchased at Sears, NAPA, etc. Thank you, Wes

csilkman
Jun 16th, 04, 6:39 PM
Sounds like I'm better off renting a better quality spring compressor from a local auto store.

TimC
Jun 16th, 04, 7:07 PM
I wonder what a Snap-on compressor goes for?

I may ask the Snap-on guy at Rusnak if I see him tomorrow.

hilljack
Jun 16th, 04, 8:18 PM
Originally posted by pnutkemist:
HEY HILLJACK, Your in Orangevale? Are you in SacChevelles? No dude I might later on.........my Velle aint under it's own power yet so I'm just a wanna-be, I do cruise my 61 Buick drop top up to Red Robim in Folsom on Wednesday night once in awhile. Too hot tonight might go later.

You ever go up there?

rocks66ss
Jun 16th, 04, 8:41 PM
I paid $100.00 for mine from Snap-On quite a few years ago. Glad I did. Is worth every penny I paid for it.
I read all these posts about all you guys who seem to have all this trouble using your spring compressors. My opinion for what it's worth is.......if you want $9.00 results buy a $9.00 tool!! The one from Snap-On couldn't be any easyer to use.
But by all means if you value your safety use a spring compressor. And here is where 50 guys chime in saying they don't use one! I for one have seen the results of a spring unleashing itself when a jack slipped, if it don't KILL you, you would a wished you spent the money for one, because the damage to the car will FAR outweigh any amount spent on one.

Rocky

Chevyboy
Jun 17th, 04, 1:42 AM
Dont pay nothing rent it i work at Autozone and we rent the spring compressor and ball joint press and you get all your money back the spring compressor is $40.00 and the ball joint press is $100.00 and they are in good quality and hell if it breaks on you and hurts you. You can sue autozone for not properly maintaining there equipment. I know im thinking about doing it. Just kidding But that is the way to go you dont have to waist no money on item you will use once or twice.