Oil pressure line too close to headers? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Oil pressure line too close to headers?

scott9497
Jul 26th, 09, 12:06 AM
I just installed an oil pressure gauge in my 72 Malibu with the swapped 454. The line is installed above the oil filter and the plastic line seems close to the headers. should I put an elbow on the fitting to keep further away and can i use a t fitting and hook up the idiot light sensor in the same place? I will have the same question about the temp sensor. I have the light and secondary mechanical gauge that came in my 3 cluster gauge set oil, temp, volts... Thanks for the help
-Scott Paterson

Dave427
Jul 26th, 09, 12:15 AM
I eliminated my idiot lights and replaced them with factory gauges. An elbow is a good idea to get the line facing away from the headers. A better idea is to buy a kit from Autometer, that replaces the plastic line with a copper line. Some tracks will not allow you to race with the plastic line.

Here's a link for the kit;
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/3224/10002/-1

Rich-L79
Jul 26th, 09, 12:18 AM
NEVER, EVER use a plastic line. Replace that plastic line with a steel or copper line and add a few coils to allow the line to flex a little when the engine moves. With a metal line you can also bend it to where you want it and it will stay put, away from the header pipes, not so with a plastic line. Melt or break that plastic line and you spill a lot of oil in a hurry and could start a fire with all that oil hitting a hot header pipe.

scott9497
Jul 26th, 09, 12:27 AM
Thanks, thats is good to know. The gauges were the 'cost effective' kind and I was thinking that plastic wasn't the best material. I'll be working on the first thing tomorrow and changing the plastic line on the '66 as well.

Tod74
Jul 26th, 09, 1:46 AM
Use dash 4 braided line...that other stuff is so small it doesn't show a pressure drop immediately. jmo

Robinls5
Jul 26th, 09, 2:58 AM
Both cars have the woven or braided stainless. (sprint car stuff) Cost $ 28.00 and will outlive you and your car and is VERY safe.
A 3 foot length will work well on Chevelles, It did stainless braided on both of mine.
( Its called piece of mind ) Spend your money in the right direction, 5-10.000 dollar engine and a $ 3.00 Nylon oil line ????????????? AT least go with coiled copper, NOTHING LESS..........
Bob

scott9497
Jul 26th, 09, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I am going to check at the parts store today and see what they have along the lines of stainless. Thanks for all the help.:thumbsup:

Wooderson
Jul 26th, 09, 1:35 PM
If you look at many newer cars and trucks, they have plastic/nylon fuel line carrying high-pressure gasoline into a hot engine compartment. I have ran the nylon for years, and have never had a problem.

Mike
Jul 26th, 09, 1:39 PM
You do have 5 other locations along the block rail and 1 in the front to choose from.
Your not limited to the oil filter location for the pressure gauge tap.
BTW,I'd go with the braided or copper.

Schurkey
Jul 26th, 09, 2:42 PM
If you look at many newer cars and trucks, they have plastic/nylon fuel line carrying high-pressure gasoline into a hot engine compartment. I have ran the nylon for years, and have never had a problem.
Agreed.

There is NOTHING wrong with the nylon tubing, provided it's routed away from excessive heat; and routed so that it isn't being abraded or cut. I've got nylon tubing that's older than some folks on this forum; and it works just fine. The only thing I'd caution about the nylon tubing included with cheap gauges is that the tubing I've used was purchased long enough ago that it's probably not Chinese. I won't guarantee that the Communists make a quality product. So I suppose I should say there's NOTHING wrong with PROPERLY MADE nylon tubing.

By the way, that'd be my suggestion with ANY tubing--route it away from excess heat, secure it so it vibrates as little as practical, and don't let other stuff abrade or cut it. Makes no difference if we're talking nylon, copper, steel-braid-over rubber or teflon liner--any plumbing should be manufactured properly and installed properly.