how to rotate motor backwards [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: how to rotate motor backwards

curley8788
Jul 22nd, 09, 9:02 PM
trying to use a piston stop to find tdc. i cant rotate the engine backwards at this point. i was using the crank pulley bolts to rotate it in the normal direction, but now that i have to rotate it backwards im out of luck. i dont have a flywheel/flexplate tool to turn the motor that way. i pulled all the plugs and used locktite on one of the crank pulley bolts to try to get it to lock up enough to where i could turn it backwards without breaking it loose. no luck. anyone with any ideas that i could tr tonight, let me know.

edit: by the way, no crank bolt on this motor...its a 327

69bu
Jul 22nd, 09, 9:07 PM
I have used a long screwdriver/pry bar with the plugs out to rotate mine using the teeth on the flexplate. I used very small bites to prevent damaging the teeth or stabbing myself. Kind of wedge the screwdriver against the inside of the transmission to use it as a fulcrum. I am not sure if I explained this adequately but it does work.

69 Malibu
Jul 22nd, 09, 9:12 PM
put a strap oil filter wrench around the crank pulley

M.Maner
Jul 22nd, 09, 9:26 PM
Replace the crank pulley bolts with three longer ones and use a long screwdriver,breaker bar,etc.
Mike

oldtimr
Jul 22nd, 09, 9:27 PM
verter bolts

Mike
Jul 22nd, 09, 9:47 PM
With the plugs out ?
Still in car ?
Socket and ratchet on the alternator pulley nut.

Bob Tiley
Jul 22nd, 09, 11:11 PM
Pry bar on 2 bolts installed in the rear crank flange when on the engine stand

trmnatr
Jul 22nd, 09, 11:16 PM
trying to use a piston stop to find tdc. i cant rotate the engine backwards at this point. i was using the crank pulley bolts to rotate it in the normal direction, but now that i have to rotate it backwards im out of luck. i dont have a flywheel/flexplate tool to turn the motor that way. i pulled all the plugs and used locktite on one of the crank pulley bolts to try to get it to lock up enough to where i could turn it backwards without breaking it loose. no luck. anyone with any ideas that i could tr tonight, let me know.

You have a flywheel turner or can you borrow one?

If not we can work something out and i can send it to you to borrow but a screw driver/pry bar will work if your slow and carefull

Jerry70
Jul 22nd, 09, 11:23 PM
Replace the crank pulley bolts with three longer ones and use a long screwdriver,breaker bar,etc.
Mike

That's how I do it and has always worked fine.

curley8788
Jul 22nd, 09, 11:53 PM
nevermind i got it. i had to take off the belts and try to turn the pulley and turn the wrench on the pulley bolt at the same time. took a while but i got it squared away. sorry for the dumb question.

Mikeys69
Jul 23rd, 09, 12:00 AM
put a strap oil filter wrench around the crank pulley
Like this idea.:thumbsup:

Mikeys69
Jul 23rd, 09, 12:03 AM

Whats ya building curley8788 ?

curley8788
Jul 23rd, 09, 1:03 AM
Whats ya building curley8788 ?

o nothing at all just making a new timing mark on my balancer of TRUE TDC. my timing has always been a mystery on this engine and i wanted to get it right. i will check it tomorrow after work. going solid roller this year though...hopefully by september:yes:

Mikeys69
Jul 23rd, 09, 1:14 AM
o nothing at all just making a new timing mark on my balancer of TRUE TDC. my timing has always been a mystery on this engine and i wanted to get it right. i will check it tomorrow after work. going solid roller this year though...hopefully by september:yes:

Good stuff Curley. I wish I had at the time, but cash dictated other wise.
Maybe this winter. I'm already sick of the oil BS..lol

greg_moreira
Jul 23rd, 09, 2:15 AM
glad to hear you have it figured out. FYI here is a tip along the same lines if you have one really locked up(similar to what Bob Tiley mentioned).

I seem to collect a lot of junk small chevies, and probably half of them have been frozen up bad. Here is what I do if they are locked up good enough. I have a flat, 3 inch wide, roughly 3 foot long piece of steel that I drilled two holes in. The holes are the distance apart of two of the bolts on the rear mounting flange. I just thread the bolts right through my homemade breaker, and right into the crank and bust her loose. Tons of leverage this way, and not much risk of damage!

I keep this thing laying around all the time, cause occasionally, they are locked tight enough that I get nervous about the amount of pressure Im putting on the crank bolt. Little bit of kerosene and PB blaster dumped into the cylinders is part of the method for the bad ones. Oil Im sure would help also, but its assumed they are well rusted up(one sat in a field for probably 3 years)

Granted...this is overkill in most situations(like with a fresh motor)...but it is sometimes necessary so I figured Id share since we are somewhat on the topic.

trmnatr
Jul 23rd, 09, 3:52 AM
Mike, Do you know how to check camshaft end play when going solid roller?

If not find someone that does, too bad your up there