: GTO red wheel wells

Krister
Jul 1st, 09, 3:41 PM
I recently have seen a couple of 66/67's GTO's where the inside of the wheel wells are painted an almost floursent red/orange. Is this just a custom idea or something more to it?

Brettd85
Jul 1st, 09, 3:44 PM
IIRC its a factory thing, I think its for some sort or special model only though.

webfoot
Jul 1st, 09, 3:52 PM
I think this was originally on W-30 Olds and just applied to a GTO.

RAMBO
Jul 1st, 09, 4:21 PM
I think this was originally on W-30 Olds and just applied to a GTO.

Correct- in 1966 Oldsmobile 442 W-30 cars recieved the red plastic inner fenders. They continued this up to 72, but only on W-30 cars.

The repop 66-67 plastic inner fenders recently became available... So thats probably why they are running them. I don't think i'd heard of GTO's getting the red inner fenders from teh factory, but i could be wrong.

Alwhite00
Jul 1st, 09, 5:20 PM
GTO's had them from the factory too, There was just a original owner goat in Hemmings Muscle Machines that had them and they did mention they were original.

LK

chadh5
Jul 1st, 09, 6:06 PM
I concur on the factory GTO option.

RAMBO
Jul 1st, 09, 6:45 PM
I concur on the factory GTO option.

So was it all GTO's or just ones with a special option package?

What years got them?

442 Harv
Jul 1st, 09, 7:44 PM
I'm a Olds man, and have a W30 with red inner fenders. I thought Olds was the only GM to have them. Then I saw some GTOs with them, and talked to the owners and found out they were avalible in, not sure what years, but I think 66-67. The one thing different on the GTO, than the Olds,the GTO also had them in the rear fenders,where Olds front only.

Chris R
Jul 1st, 09, 7:52 PM
I always wondered about that too. Was there any logical reason for only adding these to specific optioned cars like the w-30?

Alwhite00
Jul 1st, 09, 9:01 PM
I'm a Olds man, and have a W30 with red inner fenders. I thought Olds was the only GM to have them. Then I saw some GTOs with them, and talked to the owners and found out they were avalible in, not sure what years, but I think 66-67. The one thing different on the GTO, than the Olds,the GTO also had them in the rear fenders,where Olds front only.

The one in hemmings was a 66 or 67 and had them front & rear.

LK

RAMBO
Jul 2nd, 09, 4:12 AM
I always wondered about that too. Was there any logical reason for only adding these to specific optioned cars like the w-30?

they were plastic instead of metal, so in theory, lightened the front end up for factory race cars.

Also- the bitchin red color told anyone looking that you didn't just have a 442, you had the BAAAADDDD 442 ;)

Alwhite00
Jul 2nd, 09, 7:23 AM
they were plastic instead of metal, so in theory, lightened the front end up for factory race cars.

Also- the bitchin red color told anyone looking that you didn't just have a 442, you had the BAAAADDDD 442 ;)

My budy was just at a junk yard and stumbled across a GTO vert that thad them in. (he buys & sells parts) and he said that the front ones were "liners" that were inside the oem steel wheel wells, Not sure if the olds are the same though.

LK

67shovel
Jul 2nd, 09, 9:31 AM
They put them in the high HP cars to simulate that they had a "hot" motor under the hood.

Krister
Jul 27th, 09, 3:05 PM
Went to an all Pontiac show in St. Charles IL this past weekend and asked this question to the Pres of the local GTO club. His response was that they were an option for the GTO's in '66 and '67 - front and back. The factory shipped them loose in the trunck and the dealer put them on. They were plastic and did not replace the metal fender wells for reduced weight - instead were placed in front of them and were only for "cool" factor.

upstate dave
Jul 27th, 09, 5:22 PM
I parked next to a original owner 67 GTO convertible PHS documentation a couple of weeks ago. The car had almost 2K in options, listed for $5300.00 bucks. Red fender liners under the metal inner fenders, automatic, base motor 325 Horse (maybe 335 horse). I believe the red liners on the GTO were a cosmetic thing.

Daverde
Jun 12th, 11, 9:26 PM
the red fender wells on a w30 olds are the inner front liners only.
used from 67 to 71 unlike the gtos liners that were installed over the factory
liners.

Chris R
Jun 12th, 11, 11:01 PM
Funny this was brought back up again. There was a W-30 running at the dragstrip this past weekend that had these red inserts in the front wheel wells.