shock adjustment.....strange double adjustable [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: shock adjustment.....strange double adjustable

benjam2002
Apr 7th, 09, 2:14 PM
hi guys i am having some problem adjusting my shocks. let me know if this is right? the extension is how hard or soft you want to plant the tires? and the compression is how long the rear tires stay planted to the track. IF this is correct the guys that run double adjustable shocks on their cars please give some tuning advice. ....i know all cars will not be the same , just want to make sure i am going in the right direction. thanks ben

yellowchevelle
Apr 7th, 09, 2:31 PM
How much power do you have and what tire?

ToyzRMe
Apr 7th, 09, 3:49 PM
hi guys i am having some problem adjusting my shocks. let me know if this is right? the extension is how hard or soft you want to plant the tires? and the compression is how long the rear tires stay planted to the track. IF this is correct the guys that run double adjustable shocks on their cars please give some tuning advice. ....i know all cars will not be the same , just want to make sure i am going in the right direction. thanks ben

Basically yes, that's right.

The extension adjusts the rate at which the tire is driven away from the body and toward the track by the suspension.

The compression adjusts the rate at which the tires are alowed to return toward the body and away from the track.

On sticky tracks, I set the extension rate a click or two stiffer to take some of the agressiveness out..

On slippy tracks, I run a couple more clicks softer extension, and even a click or two stiffer compression.

The above is for the rear end.

For the front end, stiffer extension settings control the rate of weight transfer, and cut down the tendency to wheelstand violently on a sticky track. Be careful not to soften the compression on the front on a sticky track, or the front end may get damaged when it bottoms out coming down off a wheelstand.

Softer extension does the opposite. It allows the front end to rise more easily. Stiffer compression in this case helps keep the front end up a hair longer.

The concept is the same on all cars. The amounts will be different. :)

Randy

benjam2002
Apr 7th, 09, 6:59 PM
yellowchevelle ,the motor has about 700 hp, and i run a 29.11.15 goodyear. the car weight is about 3940lbs.....thanks

benjam2002
Apr 7th, 09, 7:04 PM
thanks randy for your reply, thats great info....ben

Winston Wolf
May 8th, 11, 2:42 PM
What's a good starting point for these Strange DA's in the rear? All the way soft on the extension? a couple clicks from all the way soft? Middle of the adjustment range on the compression? They have 9 clicks.

This is for a mid 11 second car that doesn't wheelie.

I just put some in, in place of air shocks, and don't really know where to start.

crazydavey
May 8th, 11, 5:28 PM
I have no idea why this got moved from the performance section....:confused:

The Old Reliable
May 8th, 11, 5:43 PM

shocks = suspension :yes:

Winston Wolf
May 8th, 11, 5:44 PM

Probably so no one will see it and respond. That way the guys that know what to set them at will keep beating the guys who don't.....

The Old Reliable
May 8th, 11, 5:51 PM
i am having some problem adjusting my shocks.

You've definitely come to the right place...the TEAM CHEVELLE Suspension forum is one of the very best on the internet. :yes:

And to answer your question, yes...you're going in the right direction(s) with the adjustments & your definitions.

crazydavey
May 8th, 11, 8:33 PM
shocks = suspension :yes:

double adjustable = performance :yes:

creeper72
May 9th, 11, 10:56 PM
Subsribed. Ordered a set of 5064's today. Aske them about set up and guy said he would request an instruction sheet be sent. WTH???? you would think they would come with them .
If you havent called them or have it done by the weekend ? I will send you a copy.

creeper72
May 14th, 11, 11:50 AM
Well , The instructions leave alot to be desired and have no info on initial settings.
Only thing I figured out was......... Nice metal knob is compression (bumb) and the knob with ridges on it (feels plastic) is your extension.
Clockwise on both knobs stiffens.

Expected better from strange.