Update on my '70 Chevelle... [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Update on my '70 Chevelle...

cwilks
Jan 14th, 09, 12:56 PM
Had an issue with engine height (original 307 car..guy had tall steel mounts on it)...put correct poly mounts on it but tranny was too high (for my liking) so we cut the tranny mount off and re-welded it to the cross member :thumbsup:

Motor had a popping in it when you first started it (468,10 to 1,Victor G manifold,781 heads, Eddy 800 carb)..thought it might be a valve too tight....installed a new Holley 770 Street Avenger carb...woila...no more popping :thumbsup:

This weekend gonna install my Flowmaster 3" mandrel bent system with Delta 50 series muffs.....that should wrap up the underneath (except for Diff girdle and sway bar)...now its on to the interior :thumbsup:

shadowgray396
Jan 14th, 09, 1:15 PM
Sounds like you are working hard on your Chevelle.
How about some pictures.
Ray

cwilks
Jan 14th, 09, 1:18 PM
Sounds like you are working hard on your Chevelle.
How about some pictures.
Ray

I'll get some this weekend and post em

Green-cars-live-forever
Jan 14th, 09, 3:11 PM
Not following with the tranny being too high? I did the same thing with a 307 car used the tall and narrow factory frame mounts with poly mounts mating a 396 to a th350.

I did not notice what you are describing or any other issues regarding height of engine fan to shroud interference, hood clearance etc. You have me worried.

cwilks
Jan 14th, 09, 3:31 PM
Not following with the tranny being too high? I did the same thing with a 307 car used the tall and narrow factory frame mounts with poly mounts mating a 396 to a th350.

I did not notice what you are describing or any other issues regarding height of engine fan to shroud interference, hood clearance etc. You have me worried.

307's came stock with the short/wide mounts (there's also a tall/ narrow choice as far as mounts go).....mine had the stock frame stand and the tall/narrow steel mounts on it when I got it....tranny (also a 350) had a Energy Susp mount on it.....the yoke/ujoint was really close the the floor (body mounts OK)......I put the short/wide Energy motor mounts on and since it was still close with the same tranny mount I tried to find a shorter tranny mount.....it was less work to just cut the bracket off the crossmember and re weld it 1/2 lower....worked for me :thumbsup:

BlueSS454
Jan 15th, 09, 12:53 AM
THose Energy Suspension Tranny mounts cause the pinion angle to be off......something that Energer Suspension DOESN'T TELL YOU!! I had one on my 70, the car had a vibration between 60-75 MPH. I put a stock mount on, problem gone. I had the tranny mount changed in 5 minutes..alot less work than cutting and rewelding :yes:

cwilks
Jan 15th, 09, 8:57 AM
THose Energy Suspension Tranny mounts cause the pinion angle to be off......something that Energer Suspension DOESN'T TELL YOU!! I had one on my 70, the car had a vibration between 60-75 MPH. I put a stock mount on, problem gone. I had the tranny mount changed in 5 minutes..alot less work than cutting and rewelding :yes:

yeah....I tried that......stock mount was MAYBE an 1/8 of an inch shorter.....didn't work for me :noway: