Polishing Stainless Fitting??? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Polishing Stainless Fitting???

jonh1373
Dec 20th, 08, 12:51 PM
I have an old polished stainless hose fitting that has tool marks in it. Is it possible to polish those out with a dremel tool or grinder? I don't care if the finished product looks polished or like brushed stainless. What would work best? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...Jon

RT
Dec 20th, 08, 2:54 PM
First, if it's possible, buy a replacement, b/c if you value your time at all, it'll probably be cheaper to buy new when all is said and done. If it's no longer available, first start with a 100 grit disc on a DA sander to get the big gouges out, then do the same with finer grits. A sisal wheel with an aggresive compound followed by softer wheels with finer compounds will bring it back to a fantastic luster. I haven't done this in a few years (polished all the stainless trim on my two Chevelles) so I don't remember the correct wheels or compound grits, but if you research this online you should be able to find the specifics.
Hope this helps,
Rich

jonh1373
Dec 20th, 08, 6:50 PM
Thanks for the input Rich. Anyone else have experience with this?

Belair
Dec 20th, 08, 9:59 PM
Depending on severity of the marks to give you an idea where to start. If they are heavy use a file to clean them up. Then go in steps with sandpaper. 400 grit, 800, 1200 and then use a felt wheel on a dremel. A lot of hardware stores or harbor freight have compounds for the felt wheel. Generally, the lighter color the compound the finer the finish. White being a mirror finish.
Try to stay away from dark gray or black compounds, some of them will leave deeper scratches than you had with finer sand paper.

langss
Dec 20th, 08, 10:16 PM
You can buy Scotch-Bright Surface Conditioning Discs and the necessary equipment to use them from ENCO www.use-enco.com And when your done removing the tool marks, you can use the same disks to clean up rotors and assorted other things.