sbc 355 camshaft suggestion! [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: sbc 355 camshaft suggestion!

dioismyhero
Nov 12th, 08, 12:58 PM
hi i am looking for suggestions for a camshaft, i'll tell you what i got so far! i am looking for the "best bang for the buck" i'm open to all CAM suggestions, this is mainly going to be a street/strip car, i ALREADY HAVE THE PARTS LISTED so thats not going to change ;) !

1985 trans am 3200lb car give or take a few lbs
3.42 gear ratio
(dont have much of an option for gears, 9 blot gta rear end:cool:)
turbo 350
3000 stall
26x10.5x15 m/t et streets

i have a 350 .30 over 4 bolt main
.125 dome trw pistons
stock crank and rods
750 holley mechanical secondary
professional products hurricane intake
11.1 compression
procomp aluminum heads 2.02/1.60 link to the heads specs,
http://www.procompelectronics.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=37060
and 1.5 roller rockers

i would like to go hydraulic roller or solid roller but i'm on a budget so let me know what you think!

thanks Brian

Dave427
Nov 12th, 08, 1:41 PM
Your gears suck thats true.
Since your cubes are small too , I would go with the XR274R
Duration @ 050 is 236-242
Lift 564 570

Next cam is one bigger XR280R
Duration @ 050 242-248
Lift 570-576

I would go with the smaller one since your gearing is only 3.42

curley8788
Nov 12th, 08, 1:58 PM
if you are on a budget, go solid flat tappet and use the money left over to change your gears.

dioismyhero
Nov 12th, 08, 2:18 PM
if you are on a budget, go solid flat tappet and use the money left over to change your gears.

i have a "GTA" 9 bolt rear end and the gears are VERY HIGH IN PRICE, and the only avalible from what i read are 3.70's that are notoriuos for being noisey.... so i'm stuck with 3.42's with out doing a rear end swap,

wildman926
Nov 12th, 08, 2:21 PM

X2 :yes:

curley8788
Nov 12th, 08, 3:16 PM
i have a "GTA" 9 bolt rear end and the gears are VERY HIGH IN PRICE, and the only avalible from what i read are 3.70's that are notoriuos for being noisey.... so i'm stuck with 3.42's with out doing a rear end swap,

i cant see how any gear set would be more than the 600+ dollar savings you'd have if you went with a solid flat tappet over a hydraulic roller. any rear that's noisy isnt set up corectly.

fabio
Nov 12th, 08, 3:35 PM
you can still move using those gears. Your car is light so that helps.

Dave427
Nov 12th, 08, 3:46 PM
you can still move using those gears. Your car is light so that helps.
The gears aren't that bad , just wish they were 3.70 or 4.10's. He is using a shorter tire so it should go. Thats why I recommended the smaller cam.

Dave

dioismyhero
Nov 12th, 08, 4:04 PM
i cant see how any gear set would be more than the 600+ dollar savings you'd have if you went with a solid flat tappet over a hydraulic roller. any rear that's noisy isnt set up corectly.

i stand corrected, i just found a motive gear ring and pinion for an australian 9 bolt 3.70 gear, part number gm9-370 motive gear, but i dont know anyone who would touch it around my area, and i'm not letting someone who has never heard of a 9 bolt set up gears,

but with all that said, i am using what i have so gears are out of the question.

dioismyhero
Nov 12th, 08, 4:06 PM
The gears aren't that bad , just wish they were 3.70 or 4.10's. He is using a shorter tire so it should go. Thats why I recommended the smaller cam.

Dave

thank you dave, what would you suggest on a hydraulic cam or hydraulic roller?

wildman926
Nov 12th, 08, 4:13 PM
i stand corrected, i just found a motive gear ring and pinion for an australian 9 bolt 3.70 gear, part number gm9-370 motive gear, but i dont know anyone who would touch it around my area, and i'm not letting someone who has never heard of a 9 bolt set up gears,

but with all that said, i am using what i have so gears are out of the question.

Motive Gear, they are a very good. If you don't know anyone "who would touch it" around your area, then it may be time to learn how to do it yourself. That is what most do.

Your gears are going to be your limiting factor. If your compression is true 11-1, than you are going to have a hard time finding a cam that will run with that compression, and be happy with those gears. Just go through the catalog of Lunati, Comp, etc., and you will see what their suggestion would be for each cam according to compression and gears.

The old saying that it is all about the combo...you build EVERYTHING towards the combo to make it work.

dioismyhero
Nov 12th, 08, 4:30 PM
Motive Gear, they are a very good. If you don't know anyone "who would touch it" around your area, then it may be time to learn how to do it yourself. That is what most do.

Your gears are going to be your limiting factor. If your compression is true 11-1, than you are going to have a hard time finding a cam that will run with that compression, and be happy with those gears. Just go through the catalog of Lunati, Comp, etc., and you will see what their suggestion would be for each cam according to compression and gears.

The old saying that it is all about the combo...you build EVERYTHING towards the combo to make it work.

i knew this was going to happen with the combo, thats why i added "ALREADY HAVE THE PARTS LISTED so thats not going to change ;) !" in the inital thread, going with what i have without spending extra money on GEARS. and a dual plane intake, what is the best camshaft for the combo, thanks

dirtlips408
Nov 12th, 08, 5:11 PM
your gears suck thats true.
Since your cubes are small too , i would go with the xr274r
duration @ 050 is 236-242
lift 564 570

next cam is one bigger xr280r
duration @ 050 242-248
lift 570-576

i would go with the smaller one since your gearing is only 3.42

x2..xr274r

Dave427
Nov 12th, 08, 5:24 PM
thank you dave, what would you suggest on a hydraulic cam or hydraulic roller?
XR288R with 3.40's
XR294R with 3.70's

dioismyhero
Nov 12th, 08, 5:29 PM
XR288R with 3.40's
XR294R with 3.70's

thanks alot

BowtieAaron
Nov 12th, 08, 5:47 PM
i would go with the LPE (lingenfelter) 211/219 cam with the roller cam kit.
it held the cam only bolt on record in the lt1 fbody until about a year ago, running 11.8'a on a stock motor.

im switching over to that cam maybe later summer next year. sounds almost stock, drives like stock, but flat out runs.

aaron