454 BBC need help figuring it out [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 454 BBC need help figuring it out

aparks1271
Nov 9th, 08, 5:05 PM
I have a 454 BBC with 2.07/1.72 valves open chamber 118cc with square intake port/ oval exhaust ports casting #10114156

The Block is a Gen. V block and the # is 12550313

I am trying to figure out what rocker ratio is stock on these heads and if the cam is a hydralic roller cam. How can i figure this out. I have looked at the heads and the rockers have nothing on them to tell what ratio they are. If anyone can help if would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

BillK
Nov 9th, 08, 8:21 PM
Big Block stock rocker ratio is 1.7 to 1 Roller lifters is going to depend on what year vehicle it vcame out of. You should be able to look down through the oil drainback area on a big block head and see the tops of the lifters. If they have the "dog bone" retaining plate that keeps them from rotating, then they are rollers. If not, then not :)

aparks1271
Nov 10th, 08, 1:04 PM
Thanks
it doesn't have a dog bone pan so it must be a hydralic cam.

Rmchevelle
Nov 10th, 08, 1:44 PM
Thanks
it doesn't have a dog bone pan so it must be a hydralic cam.Pan? :confused:

Reread Bill's response. He did not reference a "pan". The "dog bone" he refers to goes between each pair of lifters.

Schurkey
Nov 10th, 08, 7:36 PM
Yeah, but you'd be able to see the "pan" or "spider" that retains the individual dogbones...

He says it's a Gen 5 block. It won't have a roller-cam unless someone put one there. Gen 6 would be a different story.