1968 Chevelle SS Rearview Mirrors [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 1968 Chevelle SS Rearview Mirrors

sladerama
Sep 26th, 08, 2:32 PM
I purchased my 68 SS with aftermarket mirrors. Did the original round mirrors have the bowtie on the back or not? Who makes a set of nice aftermarket reproductions?
Thanks in advance

Whiskey
Sep 26th, 08, 3:35 PM
No they did not. I am not perfectly sure, but Ark68ss will let ya know. Or Bill Rose.
Bill

F1
Sep 26th, 08, 4:48 PM
My original is Round without a Bowtie..

Dave

Chevelle_Nut
Sep 26th, 08, 4:57 PM
I purchased my 68 SS with aftermarket mirrors. Did the original round mirrors have the bowtie on the back or not? Who makes a set of nice aftermarket reproductions?
Thanks in advance

IMO Try to reuse original mirrors. Reproduction mirrors don't stay in adjustment and do not seem to mount correctly. I have even heard that some guys get the miror in adjustment and on the pivot ball drop a dab of super glue to make the mirror hold.

swamp
Sep 26th, 08, 5:24 PM
No bowties here...and my SS just has the one RECTANGULAR mirror on the driver's side. No clue if this was the original or not.

Whiskey
Sep 27th, 08, 10:40 AM
The only rectangular mirror I am aware of, that was factory, was the remote controlled one.
Bill

Ark68SS
Sep 27th, 08, 7:07 PM
Original '68 SS outside mirror, part #3909197 does NOT have a bowtie. The post that the mirror head mounts to has a recessed end, unlike the repros that have a flat end. Correct original mirrors were available from GM until about two years ago, but now they're all gone. Someone else will have to chime in on the repros, I don't know how good they fit, just that they're not made correctly.
Like Whiskey said, the remote mirror was rectangular.
BillL