Team Chevelle banner

274 XE Comp Cam Concerns

3K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  ss3964spd 
#1 ·
I am considering installing a Comp 274 XE cam in a 402 BB. Is anyone currently running this cam; if so PLEASE advise on some issues concerning the XE Grind. Is there excessive valve train noise? Can a properly setup single spring/damper live reasonally well with this cam; not exceeding 5500 RPM. How is overall performance? Does it give a good healthy lope at idle? Would going on a 108 LSA instead of a 110 make this cam much lopier? I want LOPE without totally destorying low end performance. I do understand there is a trade off. Thanks in advance for responses.

Jesse Robertson

#2 ·
My son runs it in his 355,the hydraulic version,nice lope,no noticeable valve train noise(we used the Lunati "microlube lifters" on it),has run 13.41@ 100 mph best in a 82 Cutlass with 3.50 gears. I think that I'd go with the 108 LSA version,narrower but peakier torque range.

#3 ·
I wouldn't hesitate to try the solid version of this cam.

For reference I run a xs268 solid cam(230/236@.050) in a 355 with world s/r heads(1.94/1.5) and i've run as fast as 13.4@102.9 in a 81 HEAVY Camaro(3800Lbs+ race weight). For comparision I know of people running the hydraulic version(xe268) and even with incredibly better heads(trick flow 23s) run identical time/mph to me(in the same 2nd gen camaro).

#4 ·
I have that cam in my engine, its on a 110. But i havent started the motor yet, hopefully in the next week or so i can get it broke in. The valve springs that are recomended for that cam are dual spring. I am breaking it in with the singles though. My engine builder was pretty high on this cam, he said it would give me the lope i want and is a good cam to run nitrous on, which i plan on doing at some point. when i get it started ill let ya know what i think of it. Im pretty anxious to hear the idle. id be intrested if anyone else runs the same solid cam and what they think of it to. would love to hear what it sounds like

#5 ·
Jesse, I have the 274xe in my 69ss 402BB. I think its a great cam for what your looking for. I dont think there is a whole lot of valve noise and the lope is just right. I'm using it on a 402 with merlin oval ports and a performer rpm intake , 4speed tranny to 4:11 gears. Torque is great and pulls hard through 6K. I've had it for 3 years and so far no problems what so ever besides the occassional check of the lash , etc. Of course, just give some thought to match the other componets as well....headers, intake, carb, ignition etc. Everthing should be tried to match to the same goal of what you want in the engine.

#7 ·
Thanks guys for all the great info, bubi if I may ask what LSA are you running? I assume is also a hydraulic cam you run. I do not really want to go to a solid lifter cam. The car will mostly see street duty BUT it will also see 5 grand or so from time to time. Anthony would like to hear from you after the cam break in run ok. Robert, I realize your son runs this cam in a SB so how does that compare to a BB? I mean valve train noise and living, BB valve trains seem to make some noise under the best conditions. Thanks again guys. Anyone else please feel free to jump in here.

Jesse

#8 ·
I was making reference to the Xtreme Energy line of cams which some have said they are known to make noise similar to a solid cam with their aggresive ramps,,,the cam in his car makes nowhere near the noise of a solid cam, I'm running a Lunati solid in my car currently, will be a Comp billet solid roller next year

its been EDITED: I apologize for taking it wrong,something about the "smallblock reference and living" I took wrong,again I apologize Jessie

#10 ·
Hey Robert, I do not know where I went wrong with my post guy, please read it again, in no way was I trying to offend you, as a matter of fact I always have enjoyed reading your post in the past. Is is not my nature to take a shot at anyone. First of all I am 63 but new to the BB world, I have been messing with SB's since 1957. I can assure you my 396 valve train seems to to be sonewhat louder than the GM Crate 350 I removed. I was/am only going on what numerous local BB folks have told me concerning BB valve train noise. Bottom line if I offended you in anyway I apologize to you in public. ALL I was trying to do was find out from folks on this site their personal experience with this particular grind cam in a 402 BB (apples and apples), surely not questing anyone's knowledge in general. I have no experience or dealings with roller cams and cannot afford one anyway. I hope I have cleared the air on this situation. Everyone I do appreciate your help and responses.

Jesse Robertson

#11 ·
Jesse,

I ran a XE (hydrolic) cam - though not the 274 (I think mine was the 262), on a 110 in my 408 BB with Comp roller tipped rockers and stock stamped rocker covers.

Although it ran well enough, had an ok lope (the 274 in a 402 would have more lope), and made about 17" of vacuum it made a lot of noise. Of course everyone has their own idea of what "a lot of noise" actually is. I chose a hyd cam because I wanted it quiet but this cam was louder than a lot of solids I've heard. I could hear the thing anytime I was motoring next to a jersey wall, guard rail, or another vehicle. First I thought maybe the roller tipped rockers were contributing so I swapped them for a set of stock stamped rockers. No change. Engine builder listened to it and agreed it was loud, and Comp said it was just the nature of the cam. Then it lost a lobe after about 3k miles.

The UD mild solid cam that's in the engine now is far and away noticably quieter than that XE cam was.

Just my observations. Good luck with your selection.

Dan

**EDIT**

Just saw Scott's post (below). That was my experience with the XE cam too, was quieter when cold but got louder when warmed up. NO amount of adjustment will fix it.

Trust me Scott, it's almost certainly the cam.

#12 ·
I am running that same cam in my 396, It does seem to make some noise, but I'm not sure it is from the cam, because it only seems to do it when up to FULL temp.. When it cools down, it's totally quiet..

I have heard people say that the XE line can be a little on the noisy side though..

Scott

#15 ·
Robert, Thanks guy for the edit, it was just a misunderstanding between us and once again I was not trying to get smart or cute with my answer. As I said before I have always enjoyed your post and felt they were helpful to folks like me. I use to do a little drag racing but now I only go to shows and cruise ins. Getting old I guess but the lack of resouces is the biggest hold back. Thanks again for your edit post and the best to you.

#18 ·
Second on the molly based lube..Have the wiped cam in the garage to remind me not to use the Comp red junk..

As far as the XE being noisy, as I stated earlier in this string, my XE 274H only makes noise when the engine reaches full temp..Is this normal???

I'm still not sure it's the cam, the only way I can describe it is that it sounds like the engine is running dry, but there is NO fluctuation in the oil pressure.. It runs at 40 pounds while cruising(when it is making the noise). Any Ideas??

Scott

#23 ·
My experiences with Comps Xtreme line of cams is that they are noisy. Does not matter if the cam is a flat tappet hyd, hyd roller or flat tappet solid. These cams are all noisier than Crane or Crower of like type and size. The Xtreme Energy cams all have performed well but made some racket in doing so.

#26 ·
Good, I'll need one for a 496 mellow "stock type idle" mill that won't see more than 5500. Can't have all that XE racket in a "396/325HP" engine bay. Quiet is key.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.