Console ABS plastic repair? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Console ABS plastic repair?

davewho1
May 28th, 08, 7:36 AM
Hey everybody:
Since I'm cheap, I'm gonna try to repair my original ABS plastic console base instead of buying a repro. I don't know how good the repros are, and for $200 I'd rather try to refurb mine. It has a crack in the side and a rather sizable hole in the bottom of the compartment.

Has anyone repaired holes/cracks in their base; if so what did you use and how well did it work?

I'm thinking about trying this stuff, it sounds promising:

http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=URE&Product_Code=2503&Category_Code=

Thanks for any advice! :D

Here's a pic of the hole:

wayner66
May 28th, 08, 9:03 AM
I used JB Weld on my 66 console to fix holes like that, but this stuff looks promising. Since it does not stick to polyethylene, you could just press a plastic zip lock bag against the bottom side of that hole, then pour the liquid repair material from the top to fill in the hole. I would run some tests to see (1) how well it sticks to the console plastic in inconspicuous places, and (2) to determine the optimum mixture of the 2 parts. Good idea on fixing your console, prices for them anywhere are insane.

wambams69ss396
May 28th, 08, 10:55 PM
Hey everybody:
Since I'm cheap, I'm gonna try to repair my original ABS plastic console base instead of buying a repro. I don't know how good the repros are, and for $200 I'd rather try to refurb mine. It has a crack in the side and a rather sizable hole in the bottom of the compartment.

Has anyone repaired holes/cracks in their base; if so what did you use and how well did it work?

I'm thinking about trying this stuff, it sounds promising:

http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=URE&Product_Code=2503&Category_Code=

Thanks for any advice! :D

Here's a pic of the hole:

Sounds like the stuff i found at eastwoods website.i was going to use if for repairing my plastic inner fender wells on my 69.
heres the link
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2020&itemType=PRODUCT

davewho1
May 29th, 08, 6:46 AM
I guess nobody else is gonna chime in ... I'll order some of that stuff and try it out. I'll update this thread with results.

bdc1013
Jun 1st, 08, 3:02 PM
I have to repair my threads in the platic on the top of my 71 console. The top plate screw holes are completely stripped. Is there anything i can do to fix it? I've never heard of re-threading a hole in plastic before. Any ideas or help would be great. thanks

Dean
Jun 1st, 08, 3:11 PM
I have to repair my threads in the platic on the top of my 71 console. The top plate screw holes are completely stripped. Is there anything i can do to fix it? I've never heard of re-threading a hole in plastic before. Any ideas or help would be great. thanks
Fill hole with epoxy, re-drill and re-tap.

68KMENO
Jun 1st, 08, 6:18 PM
Deans Idea of epoxy drilling & tapping works well

on plastic repair visit the motorcycle shop they have Fairing repair glue & filler that is simply Great !!!

on the better kits you even can get a molding bar ..... press it into the pattern on the part
then cover the hole & the filler will dry an come out with the proper texture to match the original part your repairing :D

bdc1013
Jun 2nd, 08, 4:02 AM
I seem to remember the holes go straight through. If they do, i could just put duct tape on the bottom, fill with the epoxy (can i use JB Weld?) wait for it to dry then i drill it out and put threads in it just like in metal?