Weiand Stealth BBC Oval intake...who runs one? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Weiand Stealth BBC Oval intake...who runs one?

fatmattbbc
Nov 22nd, 03, 3:51 PM
I am considering trying one of these on a 496 BBC "049" head motor. Everyone seems to go with the Ed. RPM, was wondering how the large oval Stealth compares. Thanks. graemlins/beers.gif

Rich-L79
Nov 22nd, 03, 10:15 PM
I was going to post a very similar question about how the Stealth compares to the Performer RPM. The Stealth has a bit higher RPM range rating which for my application would be a good thing.

Can anyone share some impressions of the Stealth?

BB_Mike
Nov 22nd, 03, 10:26 PM
I run one.

I had an RPM for about a weak. I didn't agree with the upper plenum for the spread bore. I now run a square holley on top of the Weiand's spreadbore opening. It lets my Merlin heads breath just fine.

Installation (http://www.chevelle-ss.com/Members_Pages/Mike_S_files/Misc_Photos/Harlands_3.JPG)

Rich-L79
Nov 22nd, 03, 10:50 PM
Mike,
Are those Harland Sharp roller rockers? Like 'em?

mr68
Nov 22nd, 03, 11:44 PM
hey guys , i have some experience with a weiand stealth. before my current 68' chevelle i had a 70' ss454 that i built up and i used a weiand stealth with a 1/2 " spacer with fully ported 781 heads, holley 850, comp cam 294 s solid cam.595
.595 248/248 .050. the car was 3950 lbs with a 4 speed and 4.56 gear. it ran 11.80's at 118mph.
the stealth pulled very/very hard on the top end of the track. very good intake. i did port match the runners about 2" in . the as cast runners looked small. it was an excellent manifold.real deep plenum . ray

BB_Mike
Nov 23rd, 03, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Rich-L79:
Mike,
Are those Harland Sharp roller rockers? Like 'em? Yeah, they took some clearancing to fit under the low profile valve cover. Even with the double gasket method. However, they have a newer version available that have more radiused corners! Mine have near 13k miles on them, and they are getting pretty noisy. My car sounds like it has a solid cam now. but hey, what are gonna do? :rolleyes:

Rich-L79
Nov 23rd, 03, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by mr68:
hey guys , i have some experience with a weiand stealth. before my current 68' chevelle i had a 70' ss454 that i built up and i used a weiand stealth with a 1/2 " spacer with fully ported 781 heads, holley 850, comp cam 294 s solid cam.595
.595 248/248 .050. the car was 3950 lbs with a 4 speed and 4.56 gear. it ran 11.80's at 118mph.
the stealth pulled very/very hard on the top end of the track. very good intake. i did port match the runners about 2" in . the as cast runners looked small. it was an excellent manifold.real deep plenum . ray Does this car get any street driving? If so, how does the engine act in normal driving? Does it have poor manners at lower RPMs? The selling point of the Stealth is that it has the good dual plane manners at low and mid ranges but still flows great at the top end.

(Matt, sorry if I've hijacked your thread, but I'm very interested in this manifold too!)

mr68
Nov 23rd, 03, 1:06 AM
rich, the car ran great(sold it 3 yrs ago) . it had the typical manners of a dual plane intake.it was pretty tall but i still managed to get a 1/2 in spacer under the cowl hood. it really performed nicely in all the rpm ranges, but the top end was fierce, i never thought a dual plane could pull that hard on the top end , but that intake did real well. the plenum is almost wide open with just a couple of small notches on each end. ray

69SSRat
Nov 23rd, 03, 1:30 AM
I put on on my BB a month ago and it has great off idle with my lopy cam and pulls great I'm glad I didn't go with the Airgap.The machine shop talked me into it the did some test between Gap and Stealth with a big suprise the Gap didn't make near what it was advertised only 7hp.The stealth did a little better but torque was way up and alot better off idle.

thrasher
Nov 23rd, 03, 3:25 AM
If you want top end pull with a dual plane you should also check out the Brodix HV-2016.

I orderd the small block version HV-1016.The shop accidentily sent me the 2016.

Man that thing shore were perty ;)

I am a real stickler about casting quality,ya know casting flash,uneven ports,carb mounting not centerd.This thing was perfect.

I felt bad sending it back even though I don't have a big block :(

I was seriousley thinking about keeping it and selling it to someone on this board just to see if it was any good.

From the looks of it I think it would be tough to beat.

It's for Rectangle ports so I guess I should have never brought it up.

68chevelle533
Nov 23rd, 03, 5:39 PM
I think the stealth and the RPM are pretty even. A friend tried both and they were within a tenth of each other on a low 12 second car.

mr68
Nov 23rd, 03, 6:40 PM
Originally posted by thrasher:
If you want top end pull with a dual plane you should also check out the Brodix HV-2016.

I orderd the small block version HV-1016.The shop accidentily sent me the 2016.

Man that thing shore were perty ;)

I am a real stickler about casting quality,ya know casting flash,uneven ports,carb mounting not centerd.This thing was perfect.

I felt bad sending it back even though I don't have a big block :(

I was seriousley thinking about keeping it and selling it to someone on this board just to see if it was any good.

From the looks of it I think it would be tough to beat.

chevywidow
Nov 24th, 03, 8:02 PM
I ran the Stealth on the rect. ports when I had them on. The plenum divider is cut down, that's where they get the extra rpm. It worked great. Weiand (Holley) places the vacuum port in the correct position, whereas Edelbrock places it where you can't get the correct fitting installed for you vacuum accessories. I'd buy another! graemlins/beers.gif

JWA
Nov 25th, 03, 7:54 AM
Old Blue has it. I like it. In the low 12's with a solid roller and small cc big valve heads and 3.55 gears. I had mine coated straight from Summit by Airborne Coatings in OKC. Had an RPM on previous motor and don't think there was much difference but I wanted to try something different and also have a little more at the top end. It will be going on the next engine inline for Old Blue (496 or 540)