1966 10 bolt to 12 bolt [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 1966 10 bolt to 12 bolt

red66chevelle
Apr 15th, 08, 12:06 PM
I am new here.. I own a 1966 Chevelle.

I blew my 10 bolt on the way to Hot August Nights in Reno last August. I am finally getting around to dealing with it. I have made the decision to upgrade to a 12 bolt, and to buy a new aftermarket one (my car is not matching numbers or all original). I am leaning toward the Moser brand...

Any opinions and or comments are welcomed about the above info, however the information I am most interested in is what differences am I going to run into from the 10 bolt to the 12 bolt??

Drive shaft length? Brackets and Hardware Differences? Brake lines? etc.?

Thanks in advance for any information.

since everyone likes pictures:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/red66chevelle/IMG_0052.jpg

red66chevelle
Apr 15th, 08, 12:11 PM
I guess this should have gone in the 'Mechanical' -'Transmission & Driveline' section... my bad. My apologies to the admins.

floyd66
Apr 15th, 08, 12:25 PM
Pretty easy swap.

The universal joint is a different size. I think that covers it.

EDIT: nice car, and welcome!

red66chevelle
Apr 15th, 08, 12:47 PM
Thanks Floyd. I'll make sure to get the U-Joint sorted before I begin.

jc67
Apr 15th, 08, 1:18 PM
Nice chevelle Chris, What color is that? Should be an easy swap as Tom stated. Good luck.

Len67Chevelle
Apr 15th, 08, 1:29 PM
I did the same swap and the only difference is the u-joint and an easy swap on my 67

rak1
Apr 15th, 08, 3:59 PM
Welcome...

red66chevelle
Apr 15th, 08, 6:57 PM
Thanks to all for the compliments.

Nice chevelle Chris, What color is that? Should be an easy swap as Tom stated. Good luck.

jc67, The color is 'Viper Red'.

jc67
Apr 15th, 08, 11:54 PM
Thanks to all for the compliments.

jc67, The color is 'Viper Red'.

That is the color of mine as well I cant wait until I get mine put back together

OutCast
Apr 16th, 08, 12:03 AM
I just did the swap a couple of weeks ago. If you are so inclined, this is a great time to add boxed control arms, and replace the bushings in your control arms. You'll be surprised how bagged out the stock ones look if they are original. I went with new poly bushings, as they came with my package deal.

And as previously stated, that is a very nice ride you have there.

Havok1327
Apr 16th, 08, 1:55 AM
I'm actually interested in doing the same swap. Thanks for the question and the replies. Now I at least know what I'm in for.

oh and I'll echo what other have said.. Nice 66!!

JYags
Apr 16th, 08, 8:37 AM
If the Moser 12 bolt is like the stock 12 bolt you'll need to change the rear upper control arms. The 10 bolt upper arms won't work.

See this link for info: http://www.leverfamilysite.com/Rear_Upper_10_12_bolt_Differences.htm

red66chevelle
Apr 16th, 08, 11:51 AM
If the Moser 12 bolt is like the stock 12 bolt you'll need to change the rear upper control arms. The 10 bolt upper arms won't work.

See this link for info: http://www.leverfamilysite.com/Rear_Upper_10_12_bolt_Differences.htm

Interesting...

JYags, thanks for the heads up and the link. I wonder why others did not have any issues with the swaps? :confused:

JYags
Apr 16th, 08, 12:20 PM
You could call Moser and talk to one of their techs about the swap.

red66chevelle
Apr 16th, 08, 12:58 PM
You could call Moser and talk to one of their techs about the swap.

I was planning on calling Moser very soon. I was trying to gather as much info as possible prior to making the call to Moser...

I spoke with Glenn Lever from the link you posted about the upper arm. He was extremely helpful and answered a lot of questions I had. :thumbsup: He explained that the Drivers side is the only side that interferes, and that some people just use the 10-bolt one and it will rub away till it clears.

Mr Chevelle
Apr 16th, 08, 1:35 PM
........I blew my 10 bolt on the way to Hot August Nights in Reno last August. I am finally getting around to dealing with it. I have made the decision to upgrade to a 12 bolt, and to buy a new aftermarket one (my car is not matching numbers or all original). I am leaning toward the Moser brand...

Any opinions and or comments are welcomed about the above info, however the information I am most interested in is what differences am I going to run into from the 10 bolt to the 12 bolt??

Drive shaft length? Brackets and Hardware Differences? Brake lines? etc.?

Thanks in advance for any information.........

My understanding of Moser 12 bolt is the bushing ears on the housing are raised to help plant the rear tires (same principle as no-hops). I’m thinking 10 bolt uppers will have the housing clearance but I’m skeptical that any stock GM arms will work because of wrong pinion angle. Check with Moser on the ears and if you need adjustable uppers to get the pinion angle correct.

For a stock GM 12 bolt rear end you would need a 12 bolt or after market uppers to clear the housing at the left bushing.

I believe you can have your Moser shipped with different pinion yokes so match yours unless you go bigger for strength.

I pretty sure Moser welds the tubes to the center section for strength.

Brakes/lines are the same as your 10 bolt but the brake line “T” fitting bracket that bolts to the housing is different and the only source I know is used GM or GU for $20+ shipping....You could also fab something.

Maybe some day I’ll have a Moser but for now just stocker 12 bolts……..:thumbsup:

red66chevelle
Apr 16th, 08, 1:54 PM
Mr. Chevelle,

Thanks much for all the info. It sounds like it is time for me to give Moser a call.

red66chevelle
Apr 17th, 08, 12:58 PM
My understanding of Moser 12 bolt is the bushing ears on the housing are raised to help plant the rear tires (same principle as no-hops). Iím thinking 10 bolt uppers will have the housing clearance but Iím skeptical that any stock GM arms will work because of wrong pinion angle. Check with Moser on the ears and if you need adjustable uppers to get the pinion angle correct.

For a stock GM 12 bolt rear end you would need a 12 bolt or after market uppers to clear the housing at the left bushing.

The Moser tech said the 12 bolt they sell will definitely work with the stock arms, but he was not aware of the clearance issues with the 10 bolt upper arm. He said it would work or if there was a clearance issue it would require minimal modifications to make it work (ie. a little grinding? :confused:) He did confirm that they can make the Pinion Yoke a smaller size which would probably be fine for my setup.

I think I am going to send my arms out to Glenn to have him convert to 12 bolt and box the lowers just to make sure all my bases are covered.:thumbsup: