Points to Breakerless Ignition [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Points to Breakerless Ignition

Mark 66SS
Apr 8th, 08, 11:11 AM
Just purchased a 56 chev with a 69 350 that has points. My chevelle has HEI but I do not think there is enough room to put in the HEI. The firewall on the 56 is pretty close to the current dist. cap now. Any recommendations on what I can do?

Thanks!

djw
Apr 8th, 08, 11:18 AM
I've run the Crane XR-i with good results.

http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&lvl=5&prt=1973

DN
Apr 8th, 08, 2:59 PM
Look into Pertronix.

Rich-L79
Apr 8th, 08, 3:51 PM
I second the recommendation of Pertronix. I've had a Pertronix in my points distributor for 5-6 years now, never had an issue and it sure beats setting up a set of points.

Robinls5
Apr 8th, 08, 6:58 PM
I agree, Go with Petronix...............
Put a Petronix in my 70-LS-5 in 1994. Have not touched it since. Nicest thing since Sliced Bread !!!!!!!!!
Bob:thumbsup:

Ark68SS
Apr 8th, 08, 8:12 PM
www.breakerless.com
One wire to the coil & you can use the original resistor wire.
BillL

68KMENO
Apr 8th, 08, 8:58 PM
I've had good experience with Pertronix.

BUT ....... I would recommend that you keep all the stock stuff in a zip lock in the tool box ;) where its easy to find :D

becouse when it dies you're not going to have any place to get one ...... right now
an its easy enough to replace the points & condenser IF you have them handy :thumbsup:

BTDT ;)

Belair
Apr 8th, 08, 10:50 PM
I've had good experience with Pertronix.

BUT ....... I would recommend that you keep all the stock stuff in a zip lock in the tool box ;) where its easy to find :D

becouse when it dies you're not going to have any place to get one ...... right now
an its easy enough to replace the points & condenser IF you have them handy :thumbsup:

BTDT ;)

Pertronix is becoming popular enough that major parts stores are starting to carry them. O'Reillys among others have them on the shelf. You may want to check first. I have been carrying around a spare set of points in my trunk now for about 15 years.

zeke67
Apr 8th, 08, 11:17 PM
Replace the whole distributor with a Mallory Unilite. It will come with a performance curve, it will work with the factory resistance wire, and it has a small cap diameter.