I took the Chevelle out for a road test, WOW! [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: I took the Chevelle out for a road test, WOW!

Jim_D
Mar 29th, 08, 8:03 PM
All the neighbors were out encouraging me to lite em but I was out of race fuel (ran 92 octane) and was basically running up and down the street testing out the brakes and see what the converter flashed at. It appears that with the extra torque I might be flashing a little too high but until I get some race fuel in there I won't really know, it's just a seat of the pants feeling.
Anyway, it was a nice day to rive around.

http://bigblockduster.com/images/chevelle/posing%20001.jpg

http://bigblockduster.com/images/chevelle/posing%20004.jpg

FourEightyNine
Mar 29th, 08, 8:06 PM
Wow Jim that thing is awesome I cant wait to see it in person. Please tell me you test drove it without the front clip on it:D

Jim_D
Mar 29th, 08, 8:08 PM
Wow Jim that thing is awesome I cant wait to see it in person. Please tell me you test drove it without the front clip on it:D

No nose on for this test drive, I was strutting it! :D:D

HerrKooled
Mar 29th, 08, 8:26 PM
sweet car! dialed in, estimated ET's?

OutCast
Mar 29th, 08, 8:31 PM
Right on, Jim !

Shaking the windows today. Sounds like you've got great neighbors.

Jim_D
Mar 29th, 08, 8:36 PM
sweet car! dialed in, estimated ET's?

It is a new combo so I don't know yet but guess it should run 9.2x's at about 145ish. Next year I will try and dip into the high 8's and then retire from racing.

dmg1029
Mar 29th, 08, 8:38 PM
Jim, just wondering if you know Brian Macy?

Kevin R
Mar 29th, 08, 9:47 PM
It is a new combo so I don't know yet but guess it should run 9.2x's at about 145ish. Next year I will try and dip into the high 8's and then retire from racing.

You did all that work to get the car into the 8s and then retire from racing:noway:

FourEightyNine
Mar 29th, 08, 10:29 PM
Jim I will be more than willing to run your chevelle for points once you retire. I will make sure Mr Berg is always getting the glare off the wing.:D

In all seriousness why are you gona retire after only having the car for one year?

Jim_D
Mar 29th, 08, 10:41 PM
Jim I will be more than willing to run your chevelle for points once you retire. I will make sure Mr Berg is always getting the glare off the wing.:D

In all seriousness why are you gona retire after only having the car for one year?

The plan is to race until the end of next year so that would be 2+ years of racing the same car.
My reason for ending my racing is that it is expensive and after this season I will need to spend even more money to get into the 8's.
You might ask "why not slow down?" It is hard to go backwards. It was almost painful to run 10.02 when I ran Darryl and had it not been a close race I would of been bored to death.
So the car will be sold at the end of the 2009 season and I will start buying all my machining equipment for my future retirement. I will be buying a Bridgeport, Lathe and a bunch of other goodies to start knocking out custom parts for cars, bikes and whatever else needs something custom made or billet made.

Dave
Mar 29th, 08, 10:48 PM
My reason for ending my racing is that it is expensive and after this season I will need to spend even more money to get into the 8's. You might ask "why not slow down?" It is hard to go backwards. It was almost painful to run 10.02 when I ran Darryl and had it not been a close race I would of been bored to death.

Speed is a mighty funny addiction, ain't it?:wacko:

FourEightyNine
Mar 29th, 08, 10:51 PM
I know what you mean by it being an big expense. That is also pretty cool you want to start your own little machine shop once you retire. Once I graduate from college in a couple years I will keep you and Berg in business I promise:D. I will place that order for a billet 800ci block from yah.:hurray:

Any thought of putting together a somewhat street car that runs about 10.50s? I would think that after a while of not running that quick you would get used to going that "slow" again.

Brettd85
Mar 29th, 08, 11:02 PM
Jim, I suppose I understand that you better quit before it gets out of hand. Or should I say more out of hand. You still plan to own classic street cars though correct?

Brian, I think hes gonna have a pretty tough time making a 800ci block with a bridgeport, but lets challenge him! :D

PS: That is one bad a$$ 67. I wish someone would steal my elky so I could buy a 67. :( What would you have to do in order to bring that car back to street legal status?

OutCast
Mar 29th, 08, 11:10 PM
I will be buying a Bridgeport, Lathe and a bunch of other goodies to start knocking out custom parts for cars, bikes and whatever else needs something custom made or billet made.

Now that's a cool retirement program. :thumbsup:

I plan to sponge off my kids until they send to a swanky raisin bin down in south Florida...just to get rid of me. :D

gotago
Mar 30th, 08, 1:01 AM
The plan is to race until the end of next year so that would be 2+ years of racing the same car.
My reason for ending my racing is that it is expensive and after this season I will need to spend even more money to get into the 8's.
You might ask "why not slow down?" It is hard to go backwards. It was almost painful to run 10.02 when I ran Darryl and had it not been a close race I would of been bored to death.
So the car will be sold at the end of the 2009 season and I will start buying all my machining equipment for my future retirement. I will be buying a Bridgeport, Lathe and a bunch of other goodies to start knocking out custom parts for cars, bikes and whatever else needs something custom made or billet made.

Jesus, I'm going to retire and START racing:thumbsup: Three more years and goodbye Uncle Sugar. Too bad I won't have the coin when you sell.

Good luck this season Jim, going out in style and with grace is a good way to go:yes:

Motorhead62
Mar 30th, 08, 3:26 PM
Nice 67! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Does it rumble just a bit! He He :D

Hi-po SS 454
Mar 30th, 08, 3:58 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1756/headingfortheboxts3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Theres one down in SO. Cal. simular to yours only a 66. This was a few years back Super Chevy at Pomona
The 67 looks Great !!!