Can You Buy New VIN Plates? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Can You Buy New VIN Plates?

Rain Maker
Mar 28th, 08, 10:23 AM
:(I need help, please. I have a 72 Chevelle convertible that I am restoring. It will be a car when I am done that can be used to drive to Mc Donalds or to a cruise in, definently not a Barrett Jackson car. I had to repair the windshield frame with a aftermarket frame. I had to remove the VIN plate to be able to install it later on the new frame but in the 3 months of being off te car I have lost it. I have looked everywhere. I had bought the special rivets to install it and I was smart enough to tape them in a envelope on the refrigerater when I got them, which is where I should have taped the VIN plate. I need to install the windshield but I need to install the plate first. Any ideas?

Dean
Mar 28th, 08, 10:26 AM
FIND IT!
Or else talk to your local DMV about getting a state assigned tag. :(

animal69
Mar 28th, 08, 10:29 AM
NO!!! You should not have touched it. It is illegal to tamper with or remove a vin tag. Go to your local DMV, they will tell you what you have to do. If you can prove that the car is yours, they will probably issue a state vin.

LateNight72
Mar 28th, 08, 10:29 AM
Sorry, but unless you find it. Your SOL.

Schurkey
Mar 28th, 08, 12:02 PM
Yes, you can buy VIN tags...but it's not legal.

Yes, you can buy the special rivets to attach it to the car...but I'm thinking that buying them isn't legal either.

Might as well make arrangements with your state for a new VIN.

Alwhite00
Mar 28th, 08, 12:09 PM
Seems like every time a question like this is posted it's by someone with just a few posts, Seem wierd.

LK

BADCHVL
Mar 28th, 08, 12:22 PM
Seems like every time a question like this is posted it's by someone with just a few posts, Seem wierd.

LK

Makes you wonder doesn't it ?

imchefbrian
Mar 28th, 08, 12:45 PM
Hey guys, I have real 70ss at home, the only problem is I cut the vin tag out and shredded it. My dog then put ketchup on it and ate it. The 402 needs to be restamped because while I was fixing the 2 barrol carb on the small block 402 my grinder slipped off and ground off the numbers matching engine stamp. Oh the turbo 350 is real! it has a 2 speed slip and slide in it and I heard that was a special addition!!
oh, and I will be selling it as soon as I can find a moron, I mean buyer
any help hear?:D

Schurkey
Mar 28th, 08, 1:20 PM
My dog then put ketchup on it and ate it.
There's less VINegar in ketchup than in Tabasco sauce; maybe the dog is trying to tell you something.

Rain Maker
Mar 28th, 08, 6:34 PM
First of all I want to thank Dean, animal69, LateNight72, Schurkey for their sensible and honest help. It was found tonight when I came home from work and went through every box that was filled with parts from the car. It was put in the console along with the seat belt pockets so I wouldn't lose either, but that was months ago. It is still attached to a 8" piece of the windshield channel that was stuck to the windshield when the windshield was removed. The whole cowl was rusted out and filled with leaves, I didn't have a choice but to replace it and do it right, I would of rather of left it alone but it was impossible. Alwhite00, imchefbrian I want to thank you for your immature smart ass comments, really adult like. You make the comments that I am new and don't have many post???? I don't know about you but the only way of getting a high number under your name is by posting, right??? They don't sell a name with a high post number on Ebay do they??? Would you believe me more??? I am not ripping anyone off, My car came as a 1972 Malibu Convertible, 350 2bolt main,TH-350 trans, and a 10 bolt rear. I am making this car for me, not for anyone in Perkasie, PA. My VIN is the same on my VIN plate, title, motor and transmission. If I knew how to add pictures to this post I would show you the plate.

1966_L78
Mar 28th, 08, 7:17 PM
Thats said, a State Issued VIN will not really reduce your value, unless its a highly desireable model restored to stock (SS)...

As mentioned, it is illegal to even "possess" the rivets or remove the tag...

Ethically, you should contact the local Motor vehicle department or Highway patrol/Local Police... Explain the problem, and ask what needs to be done...

Many (most?) of us in this hobby frown upon people asking about removing the VIN, etc, because Most will NOT do the ethical thing... Some will do highly unethical things too...

Greg P
Mar 28th, 08, 7:20 PM
Jed, glad to hear that you found your VIN plate. Good luck with your project.

Greg

Derek69SS
Mar 28th, 08, 7:27 PM
Many (most?) of us in this hobby frown upon people asking about removing the VIN, etc, because Most will NOT do the ethical thing... Some will do highly unethical things too...There ARE legitimate reasons to remove a VIN. Acid dipping and rust-repair come to mind... Some people get way too worked up over this subject even when fraud is not the intent. :o

snydes
Mar 28th, 08, 7:40 PM
Nevermind, I didn't see you found it.

Good luck,
Steve

zeke67
Mar 28th, 08, 7:40 PM
First of all I want to thank Dean, animal69, LateNight72, Schurkey for their sensible and honest help. It was found tonight when I came home from work and went through every box that was filled with parts from the car. It was put in the console along with the seat belt pockets so I wouldn't lose either, but that was months ago. It is still attached to a 8" piece of the windshield channel that was stuck to the windshield when the windshield was removed. The whole cowl was rusted out and filled with leaves, I didn't have a choice but to replace it and do it right, I would of rather of left it alone but it was impossible. Alwhite00, imchefbrian I want to thank you for your immature smart ass comments, really adult like. You make the comments that I am new and don't have many post???? I don't know about you but the only way of getting a high number under your name is by posting, right??? They don't sell a name with a high post number on Ebay do they??? Would you believe me more??? I am not ripping anyone off, My car came as a 1972 Malibu Convertible, 350 2bolt main,TH-350 trans, and a 10 bolt rear. I am making this car for me, not for anyone in Perkasie, PA. My VIN is the same on my VIN plate, title, motor and transmission. If I knew how to add pictures to this post I would show you the plate.

Rain Maker, Welcome to TC! There are lots of knowledgeable folks here to help and we are always glad for new members in the hobby.

Alwhite00
Mar 28th, 08, 7:59 PM
Sorry if I came off as a smart @$$ - Just making a general observation. If you look up vin removal / swap in the search you will see what I mean. Glad you found it & welcome aboard.

LK

zeke67
Mar 28th, 08, 8:08 PM
Yeah, we can be a little cynical with the "I lost my VIN, can I replace it" story because we see it a lot -- and not everyone is legit.

(The "where did you hide your security system?" questions from new members get the same sort of cynical response.)

Rain Maker
Mar 28th, 08, 8:09 PM
Thank you guys very much!:hurray: I set everynight and read old and new threads for ideas and help with my build. The site is the best, but it would'nt be anything without you guys. My DMV is only open a half a day on Saturdays with very limited help, I'm going to call and see about reinstallation. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

snydes
Mar 28th, 08, 8:16 PM
You are calling the DMV why?

Tom's 68
Mar 28th, 08, 8:16 PM
in pa, you have to apply for a reconstructed title with numerous ways to prove the vin plate belongs to the car. I had to send them tracings of the vin that was stamped into the sheetmetal. as long as it matches your title, you will be able to get a new plate that mounts to the firewall under the hood.
I had a 69 that had a vin plate that was so pitted, I had no other choice.
it was only a 307 malibu, so it really wasn't much of an issue on the value of the car lowering.

Rain Maker
Mar 28th, 08, 8:20 PM
Thanks Alwhite00, I apologize, I understand what you mean. For example if I were to read a post from someone asking "Where do you guys put your hide a keys at? I'm unsure where to hide mine". It does make you curious as to what the poster is really asking.:confused:

Rain Maker
Mar 28th, 08, 8:22 PM
You are calling the DMV why?

To see if I can reinstall it to be legal or if they have to do it.

350_Malibu
Mar 28th, 08, 8:22 PM
Screwed you are, as Yoda would say! Contact your DMV and see what they can do. As far as I know you have commited a felony! Have fun in prison. Just kidding... (except for the felony part) :D

Rain Maker
Mar 28th, 08, 8:28 PM
in pa, you have to apply for a reconstructed title with numerous ways to prove the vin plate belongs to the car. I had to send them tracings of the vin that was stamped into the sheetmetal. as long as it matches your title, you will be able to get a new plate that mounts to the firewall under the hood.
I had a 69 that had a vin plate that was so pitted, I had no other choice.
it was only a 307 malibu, so it really wasn't much of an issue on the value of the car lowering.

I had the issue of the cowl and windshield channel so far gone and being stuck to the windshield. Luckly the firewall, engine, transmission are still installed
from 1972. I would show you guys some rusty pictures if I knew how to put them on here.

snydes
Mar 28th, 08, 8:41 PM
To see if I can reinstall it to be legal or if they have to do it.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/howisthisforausername/Miscellaneous/SargentSchultz.jpg

Neuman
Mar 28th, 08, 10:15 PM
Now that you found it, I feel the need to be a smart @$$. As far as I'm concerned, there are three rules concerning the VIN:

1. Do not remove it.
2. If you ignore rule 1, do not lose it.
3. If you ignore rules 1 and 2, do not post it on the internet.

:yes:

Dean
Mar 28th, 08, 10:33 PM
Sure glad that you found it Jed. :hurray:
I wouldn't call the DMV, that would just be asking for trouble.
Just get it back on like it should be and keep quiet about it.

Rain Maker
Mar 28th, 08, 10:37 PM
Snydes I like that!!!:yes:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/howisthisforausername/Miscellaneous/SargentSchultz.jpg

NOTHINBUT69s
Mar 28th, 08, 10:45 PM
If you call the DMV you will be opening up a can of worms, get your dash fixed and get it put back on and be done with it. Theres no reason to post a picture of your vin.

WELCOME!

LateNight72
Mar 29th, 08, 12:28 AM
Agreed with the above. DO NOT call your DMV. Just put it back on and be done with it.

Alwhite00
Mar 29th, 08, 8:14 AM
Agreed with the above. DO NOT call your DMV. Just put it back on and be done with it.

X2 (or X5) Whatever it's up to now.:D You already have the rivets.

LK

cobaltchev67
Mar 29th, 08, 8:53 AM
So after reading all the posts on this thread....who's going to care if you removed and put back the same VIN tag on a car you never intend to sell? It seems to me there should be some sort of a loop hole, or a program with the state to remove and replace these VIN tags for older cars.....if they have vintage license plates, there shouldn't be an issue with the VINs. Lots of paranoid people I guess....unless you get ripped off, it's not an issue.

66 BRONZE
Mar 29th, 08, 9:17 AM
Just put it back on and good luck with your Chevelle.

Dean
Mar 29th, 08, 9:26 AM
So after reading all the posts on this thread....who's going to care if you removed and put back the same VIN tag on a car you never intend to sell? It seems to me there should be some sort of a loop hole, or a program with the state to remove and replace these VIN tags for older cars.....if they have vintage license plates, there shouldn't be an issue with the VINs. Lots of paranoid people I guess....unless you get ripped off, it's not an issue.

It's a Federal law so the states have no say in the matter.
You could contact your representatives to try getting the laws changed.

BlueSS454
Mar 29th, 08, 9:46 AM
I wouldn't call the DMV either. I had to remove the VIN plate on my 70 for rust repair. I just reriveted it back on..end of story. I'm not selling it not now, not ever so I'm not worried about it.

plain 69
Mar 29th, 08, 10:20 AM
I would just put that booger back on and forget about it. I agree with Sargeant Shculz.

71chevl
Mar 29th, 08, 10:44 AM
Hey Rain Maker,
Sounds like you are going to have yourself a nice car. Glad you found your VIN. As for some of the comment you got, don't worry about it, there are a lot of good and Helpful people on here!! Even without the VIN most real Chevelle guys could have figured out your '72 was a real convertible!! has something to do with the Top!!!!!!

PaPa Johns 77
Mar 29th, 08, 10:47 AM
I can remember a small body shop that was doing a restoration on an old Mustang for a customer. They had removed the VIN tag and replaced the whole cowl with one from a donor. Having never done this type of work before they got worried as they could not get the proper rivits to put the tag back. He called the DMV and asked what to do. They transferred the call and the man he talked to asked for his location and name . Said they would send someone over tomorrow ro handle it. The next day when he unlocked the gate to open for business the place was swarmed with Law enforcement officers in a raid on his business! Of course in the end they didn't charge him with anything because he was legit. (did get fined for the tag removal) But they had him shut down for a week while they ran the numbers and checked every piece and part on the place! The Mustang owner was not happy either because he wound up with a rebuilt title in the end that included serial numbers from the donor vehicle added. He even tried to sue the body man for loss of value but the Judge tossed the case.
Like everyone else said, keep it to yourself.:yes:

NOTHINBUT69s
Mar 29th, 08, 12:58 PM
Hey Rain Maker,
Sounds like you are going to have yourself a nice car. Glad you found your VIN. As for some of the comment you got, don't worry about it, there are a lot of good and Helpful people on here!! Even without the VIN most real Chevelle guys could have figured out your '72 was a real convertible!! has something to do with the Top!!!!!!

It doesnt have to do with being a droptop it has to do with fraud and thats why some of the members said what they did, 99% of us do not want to see a vin swap or buy a car that was stolen and has a vin tag from another car.

If you do decide to sell it I wouldnt worry about what you did just.use the proper rivets.

Wooderson
Mar 29th, 08, 4:23 PM
The DMV only wants to write tickets. Never say anything specific to these Nazis. Same goes for DNR Nazis.

Neuman
Mar 29th, 08, 10:13 PM
The DMV only wants to write tickets. Never say anything specific to these Nazis. Same goes for DNR Nazis.

WOW, somebody has issues!

71chevl
Mar 29th, 08, 11:09 PM
I understand Nothingbut69's, Rain Maker didn't say anything that made me think he was trying to commit fraud. He was open (maybe too open) and honest. I think it was as simple as he made a mistake. My dad always told me if I ever meet a guy who has never made a mistake, DON'T trust him, He's a damn liar!!!!!

I just feel some of the comments were a little harsh, And I'll stand behind that until the day someone called Rain Maker tries to sell me a 72 ragtop!
ROLL ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

smuige
Mar 30th, 08, 3:16 AM
over here VIN tags have no value, the law requires a stamped VIN on the frame. The tag doesnt pass as identity.

Pat Cox
Mar 30th, 08, 6:27 AM
Here my 2 cents worth. You can by new rivets with proof of ownership. It is illegal? to remove the VIN, Bbut the vin plate is a public vin. There are approximately 13- 17 other location where the vin is on the vehicle. You can't get a new tag but you can get a new title, It's like doing a body swap onto different frame. VINs don't match bet DMV, DOT adn the county will work with you if you have the vehicle checked by local PD auto theft task force.

Wooderson
Mar 30th, 08, 12:28 PM
WOW, somebody has issues!

In my experiemce,over many years, I have noticed a trend in both the DNR and the DMV. That is, that people who work in these two fields let their job go to their head and have one goal : to write tickets whenever they can.

A guy I know went to shoot a deer that had been hit by a car and was laying still alive, but in bad shape near his property. A DNR guy came over after hearing about it and threatened to write him a ticket for shooting a deer without having a tag. Another incident is where a DNR fascist came over to where I live all upset blaming whoever lived at the house for who knows what. He was belligerent and was saying "I know it was you." Can't remember exactly what it was I was supposed to have done, but in the end, the neighbor, who is an environmentalist and is in regular contact with the DNR had to explain to him that it wasn't me.

Nazi fascist scum.

Wooderson
Mar 30th, 08, 12:34 PM
I've had similar experiences with the DOT/DMV. Bought a car in California. Had it towed to a place where I could work on it. I called the DMV with some questions. The Nazi started telling me I was violating laws for having it towed without having current tags on it and having a smog check done. I told her that I had it TOWED not driven. She says it doesn't matter, the tires were touching the ground when I had it towed. Give me a break. Don't tell anything to these people that you don't have to.