OK....transmission cooler line help!! [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: OK....transmission cooler line help!!

'71SB409
Mar 16th, 08, 12:42 PM
Ok.... like i said, i need some help with my TH350 transmission cooler lines. Is the top one on the trans the return and the lower one the pressure??

I know this has been talked about many times before, and when i do a search i find a bunch of great info. But when i look at my transmission cooler instructions from B&M and they are different from my Chevelle service manual and then my dad and i argue which line is which i cant tell what is what any more!!!

I looked at TCIAUTO.COM and they say upper is return and lower is pressure. But then i know i have heard different and i think my B&M super cooler instructions say the opposite and i cant remember right now what my service manual says! But is TCI right?? I think they are but im not positive!! Thanks for all the help guys!!

Also, when i put the cooler lines on, the pressure from the trans (hot) goes in the top of the radiator then flows down and out the bottom right??

Thanks again!!!

~Paul

Schurkey
Mar 16th, 08, 5:54 PM
Pull a tube out of the radiator, aim it at a big bucket. Put a temporary tube into the radiator with the open end also aimed at the bucket. Start the engine, see which tube shoots fluid, and you'll have your answers first hand with no possibility of mistake.

Xtreme70SS396
Mar 16th, 08, 6:26 PM
Not sure on the TH350, but on the TH400 I believe the upper tranny outlet is the return line.

Mr Chevelle
Mar 16th, 08, 7:01 PM
Ok.... like i said, i need some help with my TH350 transmission cooler lines. Is the top one on the trans the return and the lower one the pressure??

I know this has been talked about many times before, and when i do a search i find a bunch of great info. But when i look at my transmission cooler instructions from B&M and they are different from my Chevelle service manual and then my dad and i argue which line is which i cant tell what is what any more!!!

I looked at TCIAUTO.COM and they say upper is return and lower is pressure. But then i know i have heard different and i think my B&M super cooler instructions say the opposite and i cant remember right now what my service manual says! But is TCI right?? I think they are but im not positive!! Thanks for all the help guys!!

Also, when i put the cooler lines on, the pressure from the trans (hot) goes in the top of the radiator then flows down and out the bottom right??

Thanks again!!!

~Paul

This will help! :thumbsup:
http://tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/cooler_fittings.asp

'71SB409
Mar 17th, 08, 2:15 PM
Well...Thanks guys!!! I have already read TCIAUTO.COMs thing and i took note of that. The thing is, i wanted to make complete sure its right. Schurkey, i would try that but i dont have anything hooked up at all! I made new tranny cooler lines and put in a new radiator, so i wanted to hook them all up once and not go through it again! I might just have to put them on and move them around later, its just such a pain that i wanted to just do it once!! Thanks for the help guys!!!

~Paul

'71SB409
Mar 19th, 08, 6:52 PM
OK!! I talked to Hughes, B&M, and checked the TCI web page as i stated, and they all ended up giving me the same thing!

-The bottom fitting on the tranny is the out (pressure, hot fluid to the radiator or whatever you wanna call it)!
-The top fitting on the tranny is the in (return, cooler fluid or from the radiator whatever you wanna call it)!

Thanks for all the help and ideas guys, believe me, if i didnt have my headers off and at the shop getting coated and i wasnt still working on my radiator, i would have just taken hoses off and ran it quick to see which was which. But i guess if 3 places all say the same thing thats what im going to go with!! Thanks for all of the help and suggestions guys!!

~Paul