headers in way of spark plug [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: headers in way of spark plug

busterwivell
Jan 21st, 08, 3:09 PM
I've got tube headers on my 350 in my 66 Malibu. Can't seem to get #6 plug out, headers don't allow room to get a plug socket on the plug, and can't seem to get an open end wrench in there, either. Anyone else have this problem.......and a solution?

aukai
Jan 21st, 08, 3:28 PM
Snap-on and Comp tools have shorty sp sockets with notches taken out of the side wall to get the socket over the plug and hexed for an open end or box end wrench to get it out for right now you will have to take out the header bolts unless you can get the socket to fit. My BB has raised exhaust ports and have similar problems I made a spacer flange out of flat aluminum stock to get more room(used a gasket for a template)

66 BRONZE
Jan 21st, 08, 3:49 PM
I've got tube headers on my 350 in my 66 Malibu. Can't seem to get #6 plug out, headers don't allow room to get a plug socket on the plug, and can't seem to get an open end wrench in there, either. Anyone else have this problem.......and a solution?

I had to take a new Craftsman boxed end wrench, the ones that taper 90* and offset, then I ground down the boxed end till it was about 1/8 of an inch thick. You must grind the entire boxed end to get it to slip over the end of the spark plug. I had to do this with my 882's and my AFR'S.

forcd ind
Jan 21st, 08, 4:06 PM
i have taken a plug socket, cut about an inch off the end that goes on the plug, and welded a bar on it-takes me 3 diff tools to get plugs out of all 8

aukai
Jan 21st, 08, 4:19 PM
i have taken a plug socket, cut about an inch off the end that goes on the plug, and welded a bar on it-takes me 3 diff tools to get plugs out of all 8

:yes::D

dgrobels
Jan 22nd, 08, 1:11 PM
what all these guys said

it sucks but you dont have any other choice.....thats hot rodding for ya

busterwivell
Jan 22nd, 08, 2:33 PM
looks like I've got some grinding to do this weekend............thanks all.

Chris Stanwyck
Jan 22nd, 08, 2:44 PM
I custom ground a socket as well.
Shaved it almost paper thin around the mouth of the socket to fit. Would hate to lose it.
Not just a header issue but combined with too small a slot for the plugs in my AFR's.

LXS
Jan 22nd, 08, 2:47 PM
Sorry, not sure if it was mentioned, but, you could try using shorty style spark plugs to help with the space issue :)

66 BRONZE
Jan 22nd, 08, 2:59 PM
Sorry, not sure if it was mentioned, but, you could try using shorty style spark plugs to help with the space issue :)

This is true. My NGK VR4's are 1/4 inch shorter than a standard AC plug. I thought about buying that socket you see in Hot Rod, you know the one with that hot babe in the blue jean cut-off's:yes:. But I found if you get the #6 plug loose with the ground down boxed end wrench, then just remove the wrench and unscrew it by hand.

kirkwoodken
Jan 22nd, 08, 3:32 PM
The solution to this is to call the header companies and tell them we want headers redesigned for modern heads with raised ports and angle plugs, instead of giving us headers for 40 year old heads. If we stop buying the bad stuff, they will start making something that fits.

Whiskey
Jan 22nd, 08, 4:02 PM
I took a spark plug socket, and cut it off so that I had about 3/4 inch of the socket left. Then I took a slotted scrwdriver and welded it to the outside of it. I then bent this at about a 30 degree angle. This slides right on any and all plugs I have found to date and works great.
Bill

dirtrocker
Jan 22nd, 08, 5:40 PM
Back when I was about 12................was riding my bike and found a whole toolbox full of tools in the trash!!! Can still remember carrying it home :p

One thing in that box was a double box end offset wrench. It's been belt sanded a bit and is a lifesaver when changing header plugs :D

66 BRONZE
Jan 22nd, 08, 6:32 PM
Back when I was about 12................was riding my bike and found a whole toolbox full of tools in the trash!!! Can still remember carrying it home :p

One thing in that box was a double box end offset wrench. It's been belt sanded a bit and is a lifesaver when changing header plugs :D

I know, I know this very well.:D

Chevelle505cid
Jan 22nd, 08, 6:36 PM
You can catch a Snap on, matco, mac guy or go to this website.
http://www.headersockets.com/
Best tool I ever bought for spark plugs. Got mine from my brother in law who is a matco tools dealer.

Bob West
Jan 22nd, 08, 7:56 PM
I use a spark plug socket with a ratchet box end to get 6 & 8 out of mine.

BillyGman
Jan 22nd, 08, 8:16 PM
I bought a special header sparkplug tool from them that's like no other. Without this tool, I couldn't have ever installed plugs on my 632 engine with the 2 1/8" primary tube headers I have (Hooker headers)...

part# POW301150 for 5/8" hex plugs, and part#POW301155 for 13/16" hex plugs... I couldn't even get to two of my sparkplugs with a wrench. Niether the box end nor the open in would get in there. But I did no problem with one of these tools. If you can't get them out with one of these, then they aren't coming out at all w/out removing the headers first. And some headers won't even come off with the plugs still on the heads. Click on the link below and copy and paste the part # above into the search box....

the website is www.powerhouseproducts.com (http://www.powerhouseproducts.com)

Mikeys69
Jan 22nd, 08, 9:23 PM
The solution to this is to call the header companies and tell them we want headers redesigned for modern heads with raised ports and angle plugs, instead of giving us headers for 40 year old heads. If we stop buying the bad stuff, they will start making something that fits.

And how long do you suggest we go without headers till they do?...:confused:

BillyGman
Jan 23rd, 08, 10:44 AM
Here's the direct link and also below that the pic of these tools. They really work good. There's a shorter one and a longer one that come as a pair when you order them. You can see by the pic that they have a special shaped flange with a groove cut into it that enables you to slide them right over the side of the sparkplug.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PH&Product_Code=POW301150&Category_Code=SPARKPLUG

5/8" Spark Plug Socket
PART #POW301150
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/graphics/00000004/100-POW301150.jpg (http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/graphics/00000004/400-POW301150.jpg) $44.95
Quantity:
None in your basket
DESCRIPTION:
These header sockets are extemely high-quality professional tools that can make your life much easier. Fully CNC machined from 15-5 Stainless Steel Aircraft Alloy and properly heat-treated, these ingenious sockets will sneak into virtually any cylinder head/exhaust header combination. The internal hex is EDM'd, which means it is electronically cut and built to give a lifetime of use.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/graphics/00000004/400-POW301150.jpg

Autoengineer
Jan 23rd, 08, 4:08 PM
Here's the direct link and also below that the pic of these tools. They really work good. There's a shorter one and a longer one that come as a pair when you order them. You can see by the pic that they have a special shaped flange with a groove cut into it that enables you to slide them right over the side of the sparkplug.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PH&Product_Code=POW301150&Category_Code=SPARKPLUG

5/8" Spark Plug Socket
PART #POW301150
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/graphics/00000004/100-POW301150.jpg (http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/graphics/00000004/400-POW301150.jpg) $44.95
Quantity:
None in your basket
DESCRIPTION:
These header sockets are extemely high-quality professional tools that can make your life much easier. Fully CNC machined from 15-5 Stainless Steel Aircraft Alloy and properly heat-treated, these ingenious sockets will sneak into virtually any cylinder head/exhaust header combination. The internal hex is EDM'd, which means it is electronically cut and built to give a lifetime of use.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/graphics/00000004/400-POW301150.jpg

I made something similar by just cutting a section out of a cheap spark plug socket I had bought. I used a cutting wheel.

trmnatr
Jan 23rd, 08, 4:14 PM
Snap-On double boxed end wrench which is about 6" long and is double offset, 5/8 or 13/16 you looking for? I will get the part number and give it to you, heck i may even take a photo, with a photo you could go to sears and save some $$$$ and buy one there

BillyGman
Jan 24th, 08, 2:15 AM
I made something similar by just cutting a section out of a cheap spark plug socket I had bought. I used a cutting wheel. Hey that's pretty good if that's all you need. :thumbsup: I couldn't do that though for my set-up. It just wouldn't be adequate. I'd have to make two of them, one shorter, and one longer with the clearance issues like I have on my engine.These tools that I've shown here come in a set of two, one being longer, the other shorter. On my engine, I have to use the longer one for some plugs, and the shorter one for others.

Your cut-off socket might work fine for you, and if so, then that's good. But they will not provide as much clearance as these tools do. These tools are very thin walled. But hey, I'm not here to sell tools to anyone. I'm merely a customer. If your clearance is as bad as mine is with 2 1/8" diameter primary tubes on headers that fit as lousy as the Hookers do on a tall deck block like my engine is(since they're really not made for tall deck blocks anyway) then you would be more than happy to cough up the $44 for these pair of tools. Cuz that's the only way that you would get sparkplugs on and off. ;)

Mstehle
Jan 24th, 08, 4:03 AM
I thought about buying that socket you see in Hot Rod, you know the one with that hot babe in the blue jean cut-off's:yes:.

You mean Steff, the blonde with the really short shorts and the pink triangle bnikini top holding the full C cups? About 23 years old and a size four? I didn't notice her. :D

I bought a set of sockets at Advance auto that the socket has a through hole that slips over the plug. The socket wrench has a trough hole as well. Slips right on and works great. Came with a complete of standard and metric and a bunch of other tools, all in a blow molded case.

joes66
Jan 24th, 08, 12:36 PM
I have a plug that I cant get a socket on in my 66 bbc.I cut the socket down to allow more clearance.IM not sure of your particular situation but my buddies 68 with the hooker headers are just like mine as far as the plug.I used my chop saw to cut a socket for him also and he doesnt have any problems now.Its sometimes hard to get a wrench in at the angle it takes to get on the plug so that is why we made our own socket..good luck.You cant take a whole lot off of the spark plug sockets so check how much room you have before you cut it up.Go to one of the dollar stores and get a cheap one.I wouldnt cut up a snap on over this