Getting wrinkles out of headliner [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Getting wrinkles out of headliner

Mstehle
Jan 19th, 08, 9:44 PM
The new headliner has alot of wrinkles. Just couldn't get it right without wrinlkles. Can we use a heat gun to help take some of them out? Try to post pics, here goes:

Steve Johnson
Jan 19th, 08, 10:30 PM
Mark I wouldn't use a heat gun, it's pretty easy to melt the headliner (guess how I know). It seems like you have more wrinkles than usual. Did you cut the listings on the pockets back a few inches before install? I looks like the listings aren't able to be pulled enough to the edges which would remove the wrinkles at the bows. I have had good luck taking out minor wrinkles with a steamer. I wouldn't use any heat on the sail panels since that would affect whatever glue is attaching the fabric to the sail panel, thus creating more wrinkles. Hate to say this, but you might need to back track and try to get more of the wrinkles out by doing some more pulling so you can get a better result.

BillsCamino
Jan 20th, 08, 10:27 AM
Sometimes leaving the car sit outside on a warm sunny day will help with removing wrinkles from a recently installed headliner. :yes:
Don't use a heatgun....that material is mostly vinyl and will probably look worse after using a gun.

Mstehle
Jan 20th, 08, 3:31 PM
Sometimes leaving the car sit outside on a warm sunny day will help with removing wrinkles from a recently installed headliner. :yes:
Don't use a heatgun....that material is mostly vinyl and will probably look worse after using a gun.

Bill:

Good tip :thumbsup: but this is Central New York. The warm sunny day for this year is scheduled for August 8th. We may have one on July 24th as well but that one is optional. :( :D I'll put it on on my calendar to park the car outside that day. Like Steve said, unfortunately we may have to back track. Oh well, have to chalk it up to a learning experience.

BillsCamino
Jan 20th, 08, 6:40 PM
Bill:

Good tip :thumbsup: but this is Central New York. The warm sunny day for this year is scheduled for August 8th. We may have one on July 24th as well but that one is optional.

:D :thumbsup:
I understand...believe me I do.
It was 18 degrees here this AM. Never got out of the 30's. But, the sun was out.

Mstehle
Jan 20th, 08, 7:01 PM
Yeah Bill even when it is not so nice weather in Georgia it is still nice. It's about 10 here with a sub zero wind chill and 20 miles north they are getting 3 feet of snow. Talked to my new potential boss on Friday and he is okay with me working from a remote location. Maybe this will all work out. The Athens area or McDonough area is looking good right now. Now I gotta get the Chevelle done.

Mark

Jr_Johnston
Jan 21st, 08, 11:14 AM
You can use a blow dryer(hair dryer) to get some of the wrinkles out,but it look's to me that it is not pulled tight enough on the side's.
If you do use any type of heat on the headliner be very careful,as posted before you can melt the headliner.With the blow dryer it wont get as hot as a heat gun will,but it will do the job with less chance of melting the headliner as long as you do not hold it in one place too long.

eyewanta65
Jan 21st, 08, 1:09 PM
Mark
You can park it all day in the sun on Fathers Day, at the Prison City show. I have only done 1 headliner, that was on my 65. It looked like yours at one point. Looks like you will definitly need to do some more pulling out to the edges. I can't imagine that amount of wrinkle will resolve with heat. It's sooo cold right now that I would make sure the interior is warm, before you try to stretch the liner.:)

Chevy Dave
Jan 21st, 08, 4:36 PM
Looks like the verdict has been made. I will pull on it some more.

MikeMalibu
Jan 21st, 08, 9:05 PM
Search for the headliner post... it's a sticky. Great pics and instructions.

bubba68ss
Jan 21st, 08, 9:22 PM
need to pull it tighter, you might have to trim back the bow channel a little so it can slide more towards the way you pull it.

67shovel
Jan 22nd, 08, 10:00 AM
The pro's use steam to shink the wrinkles out. I'm sure some of those wrinkles would go away with steam but I don't think they all would. I'm with the rest of the gang here, I would stretch it some more. Your ear muffs have wrinkles too! Those should have been done on the bench and shouldn't have any wrinkles before installation. This is not all bad since 90% of the readers here wouldn't tackle a headliner job in the first place and you did and you just about got it right. Just a little more time on this one and you will have mastered it!

bubba68ss
Jan 22nd, 08, 10:21 AM
steam will get out creases, not loose wrinkles like those. Its simply not pulled tight enough. Easy fix

Jr_Johnston
Jan 22nd, 08, 10:40 AM
The pro's use steam to shink the wrinkles out. I'm sure some of those wrinkles would go away with steam but I don't think they all would. I'm with the rest of the gang here, I would stretch it some more. Your ear muffs have wrinkles too! Those should have been done on the bench and shouldn't have any wrinkles before installation. This is not all bad since 90% of the readers here wouldn't tackle a headliner job in the first place and you did and you just about got it right. Just a little more time on this one and you will have mastered it!

I use both steam and a heat gun,but like everybody has posted no amount of heat or steam will get those wrinkles out.

Mstehle
Jan 22nd, 08, 12:40 PM

Chevy Dave is the man! He's the one with the courage to do this stuff. I just help out where I can. I will help him this weekend and we will get it right. Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys.

67shovel
Jan 23rd, 08, 1:16 PM
On a side note, I'm currently building a mid engine 65 Corvair. I put the headliner in and had some wrinkles so I started up the motor and let it warm up. Presto! Headliner is as tight as a durm now!

Chevy Dave
Jan 23rd, 08, 3:17 PM
Man, I wish that were the cure for this one! I'm a little nervious about pulling it much more, but I do see that it is not looking right. When I pull in the rear(towards the rear window), I get many more wrinkles in the middle of the rear section. When I pull on the sides, I get wrinkles where the bows go through. When I pull where the bows go through, once in awhile the tention pops the bow down or just to the side screwing the whole thing up. Then the sail panel pieces are premade flat, and when you fit them to the curve of the sail panel, they wrinkle! WTF!

Guess I should of had somebody who does this more offten tackle this job!

eyewanta65
Jan 23rd, 08, 4:00 PM
How warm is it inside the car ? When I did mine I was outside in the sun, about 80 degrees. I bet it's too cold in the shop/car. Fire up the salamander.

67shovel
Jan 24th, 08, 10:04 AM
Don't give up yet Dave. Looks like you haven't cut the bow loops back far enough yet on the sides. I'd pull the sides loose and sneak in and cut the cloth loop back another 1-1/2" and then stretch and reglue. Your front to rear looks good but you may have to pull it down after fixing the sides.

Steve Johnson
Jan 24th, 08, 10:19 AM
I would be careful about how much you cut the pockets back, to much and you will straighten out the curve. It was cold when I did mine so I used a hair dryer to heat up the liner before I stretched it. I understand your pain with the sail panels, they gave me fits to.

bubba68ss
Jan 24th, 08, 10:24 AM
cut them about 1/2" from being flush with the bow hole. just enough to stretch it a bit.

Chevy Dave
Jan 24th, 08, 10:40 AM
Well I think the bow slips are trimmed enough (I am definately going to re-check), but the problem I am having is that the bows rest aginst the roof insulation. When I try to pull, the material does not move and the bow pops/archs down in a 90 degree orientation from where it should be. I had this happen twice, then I realized that the holes for the bows were a little bent out of shape from the original headliner. I did fix a couple by twisting the metal back into shape, and on the other I just used different holes adjacent to the warped holes. I cut back the slips that the bows slide through at that time, and then thought that if I cut too far, that the sides would come down too close to the passenger's heads. The material right now is cut back about 1-1/2 inches from the end of the bow which goes into the hole. Is that not enough? Again I think it needs to be pulled, but if it does not move (the cotton bow slip against the original roof insulation) then the bow pops out of position. Don't have too much to loose right now as it is a learning experience, therefore I am not saying that I am done, I will do as you guys have recommended and pull on it some more.

bubba68ss
Jan 24th, 08, 10:48 AM
Well I think the bow slips are trimmed enough (I am definately going to re-check), but the problem I am having is that the bows rest aginst the roof insulation. When I try to pull, the material does not move and the bow pops/archs down in a 90 degree orientation from where it should be. I had this happen twice, then I realized that the holes for the bows were a little bent out of shape from the original headliner. I did fix a couple by twisting the metal back into shape, and on the other I just used different holes adjacent to the warped holes. I cut back the slips that the bows slide through at that time, and then thought that if I cut too far, that the sides would come down too close to the passenger's heads. The material right now is cut back about 1-1/2 inches from the end of the bow which goes into the hole. Is that not enough? Again I think it needs to be pulled, but if it does not move (the cotton bow slip against the original roof insulation) then the bow pops out of position. Don't have too much to loose right now as it is a learning experience, therefore I am not saying that I am done, I will do as you guys have recommended and pull on it some more.

do you not have the clips in the top of the roof that hold the bows in position?

Jr_Johnston
Jan 24th, 08, 11:54 AM
do you not have the clips in the top of the roof that hold the bows in position?

There is only 2 clip's that hold the bow's in place,except the center one by the dome light.

Jr_Johnston
Jan 24th, 08, 11:58 AM

Here's a little trick that my Grandfather tought me on my first bow headliner; Take a razor blade and cut a V in the insulation above the bow,it will free up the listing enough for it to slide as you pull it from side to side.

Chevy Dave
Jan 24th, 08, 7:26 PM
"Take a razor blade and cut a V in the insulation above the bow,it will free up the listing enough for it to slide as you pull it from side to side"

Thanks Jr Johnston, that's the tip I'm looking for. I'll definately try that on the next headliner I install.

'71SB409
Jan 25th, 08, 4:02 PM
It was either negative or very cold temps out when i put my new head liner in my 71 and there were a few wrinkles (not quite a many as your, i would suggest working backwards like everyone else saiod) But to get some wrinkles out, what i did while i had it in the garage for a while, I cranked the heat on the heater in the garage (if you have that option it helps) then covered the car w/a packing blanket and rolled the windows up and put a space heater (away from all seats and interior pieces) in the car on the floor and shut the door. It helped a lot, my only tip is dont leave it unattended (something pretty obvious, just dont want to be the reason someone accidentally messed something up on their car). It gave me a good reason to sit down, watch tv, and drink some beer in the garage! Good luck!!