R-12 Freon Value? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: R-12 Freon Value?

Detroit Al
Dec 25th, 07, 8:59 PM
Can I get some idea what a 30 pound can of R-12 freon is worth on the open market? I'm going to a winter swap meet in Detroit in three weeks. I'm told this is THE winter function to sell parts and other goodies. I've heard that $20.00 a pound is not out of line? Thanks for any answers that I get.

Ark68SS
Dec 25th, 07, 9:08 PM
It's $24 lb ($720 for a drum)+shipping wholesale right now. It tends to go up in the summer, down in the winter.
BillL

Dean
Dec 25th, 07, 9:40 PM
You can find 30 lb cylinders for $150.00 each.
Guy was asking $600.00 for two 30 lb drums, I offered him $300.00 and he said OK.

prefectca
Dec 25th, 07, 10:36 PM
I can't believe you can still get R-12. It has been illegal in Canada since 2000 to recharge using R-12 and illegal to sell it.

Dean
Dec 26th, 07, 12:54 AM
I can't believe you can still get R-12. It has been illegal in Canada since 2000 to recharge using R-12 and illegal to sell it.
It is being phased out here in the USA and only legal to sell it to someone with an EPA certification.
It has been illegal to manufacture R-12 for quite some time now.

Thing is not many people even want it now.

Funny story: I hold type l, type ll and type lll certification which means I can buy it in larger quantities BUT I'm not certified for "mobil" so I can't legally but a 12 OZ can from an auto parts store, only a 30 lb canister.
I can pollute 30 lbs at a time but not 12 ounces at a time. :D

Detroit Al
Dec 27th, 07, 9:18 PM
Dean, I know what you mean. I also hold a Universal Licesnse but not the mobile one. We use 500 pound cans here at work but can't touch a one pounder. Go figure? Our government hard at work I guess. I don't know how much call there is for R-12 anymore, but I'll find out at Detroits swap meet in January.

Donnie1
Dec 27th, 07, 10:18 PM
im willing to give you $150

mmurphy77
Dec 28th, 07, 11:22 AM
Those a good prices compared to when r134a came on line. r12 shot up to $100 per pound!

Chris R
Jan 2nd, 08, 10:59 PM
I know you need a certification to buy it but I guess you dont need it to sell it. Meaning if your selling, then you posess it which I would think you need a certification to have it. So I guess since you need a certification to buy it means that nowdays, those owners (should) have a certification to already have it. Or at least thats how the law is supposed to work.

See what I mean?:yes:

Dean
Jan 3rd, 08, 12:35 AM
Right if you bought it and DON'T have the proper certification then the person that sold it to you, (if in the USA) broke a federal law and is subject to a $10,000.00 fine as you would be also if you sold it to someone not certified I'm told. :D

dyno jonn
Jan 3rd, 08, 9:10 AM
I know you need a certification to buy it but I guess you dont need it to sell it. Meaning if your selling, then you posess it which I would think you need a certification to have it. So I guess since you need a certification to buy it means that nowdays, those owners (should) have a certification to already have it. Or at least thats how the law is supposed to work.

See what I mean?:yes:

There is a different rule it you are a dealer and are selling it to another dealer. The certification is only needed by the final purchaser or installer.