: Do tailgaters bother you?

65Camino
Dec 18th, 07, 2:16 PM
Have you ever wondered what all the extra SUV's in a Presidential or VIP motorcade are. You know the ones with the blackened windows that no one gets in or out of---wonder no more. They have a 6 barreled 7.63 mm mimi gun ---. It fires over 4,000 rounds per minuite. The wipers need to run to clear the spent casings when the weapon is firing...see attached viedo from the company that makes this happen - vechicle is also armored plated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?V=7D6PUD66UMC presidents car

Check DillonAero.com

Derek69SS
Dec 18th, 07, 2:23 PM
Tailgaters help my gas mileage. They don't bother me.

I'd rather have that facing forward for the people going under the speed limit in the fast lane who cause me to brake, and re-accellerate, thus wasting more fuel.

ChaosEnvy
Dec 18th, 07, 3:01 PM
They don't bother me, I bother them... Nothing like going 20 in a 45..........till they back off.

Bowtie-72
Dec 18th, 07, 3:43 PM
Usually drop it down a gear (or 2) without braking, let the engine do it for me, then rest my foot on the brake pedal just enough to get the lights on (once I'm already going slower). What makes me laugh is when another driver catches on, and they will then run slow enough so the guy gets blocked in, then speed up until we both are in front of him and side by side.....

novaderrik
Dec 18th, 07, 3:57 PM
i thought this thread was going to be about those guys that paint themselves up in the colors of their favorite sports team and get drunk in the parking lot of the stadium before the game...
if so, then the answer, is, yes, they do annoy me.
as for the idiots that follow 10 feet behind me when i'm going down the road, they only annoy me until i slam on the brakes so they almost slam into me. then they tend to back off. no need for a big machine gun or anything.

Louey
Dec 18th, 07, 3:57 PM
Just move out of the tailgaters way. Slowing down will only aggravate him and increase his aggressive driving. You could end up in an accident if you mess with him. But you'll feel good knowing that it was his fault. :rolleyes:

Alan
Dec 18th, 07, 4:13 PM
The closer they get, the slower I drive :p

Alan
Dec 18th, 07, 4:14 PM
Just move out of the tailgaters way. Slowing down will only aggravate him and increase his aggressive driving. You could end up in an accident if you mess with him. But you'll feel good knowing that it was his fault. :rolleyes:

That can be difficult on a double yellow lined two-lane road with no turnout and soft sandy shoulders.

Professor_SS
Dec 18th, 07, 4:36 PM
tail gaters don't bother me. Unless its a semi. Its the morons that think the car length I left between me and the guy in front of me is there for them to zip around me in their Indy Prepped Civic and dart into the hole. Wish I could just put that SUV chrome horn to them and drop kick their silly little econo coffins onto the shoulder when they do that.

jfkheat
Dec 18th, 07, 6:17 PM
I hate tailgaters. I'll tap my brakes once to let them know to back off. If they don't back off, I'll hit the brakes a little harder. If that doesn't work, I slam on brakes for a second or so if there is no other traffic that will be affected.
James

D Stroud
Dec 18th, 07, 6:23 PM
I usually just casually run off the road a little. Boy, you should see how much road debris and dirt and gravel are kicked up onto the tailgater when you do that...

awwwwwww, did i scratch your car with all that flyin gravel?...so sorry :D

MalibuSeaS
Dec 18th, 07, 6:24 PM
I 've got something I do when I'm being
tailgaited (especially when I'm driving a convertible). :boxing:
1-I wait until I get close to a cross street.
2-I turn the headlights ON, which in turn make the taillights go ON (the tailgaiter thinks I 'm braking).
3-At the same time I slide my hands over the steering wheel as though I am turning but I don't turn (the tailgaiter thinks I'm turning into the sidestreet).
4-I listen to hear his/her brakes screech.
5-He/she doesn't tailgait me anymore. :bow:

Augustboy2009
Dec 18th, 07, 6:29 PM
Once I was doing 65 in a 55 on the Baltimore/washington Parkway in Maryland. I had a guy flashing his lights at me at 200 yards behind me as he was approaching. This was around midnight and we were the only cars on the two land road in both directions. I stayed in my lane he tailgated me and flashed his brights and honked his horn. I kept my speed of 65mph. He passed me on the right in the slow lane then cut me off and slowed down to 15mph directly in front of me in the lane I was in. I managed to play his game. He gave up after about 1 minute after he realized I was just going to play his game. After the minute was up he sped off.

I was so enraged!!! I wanted to kill that crack head!

Elcoman
Dec 18th, 07, 6:38 PM
If a guy is tailgating you and you brake check them and they hit you, you are the cause of the accident.:yes:

You will be at fault.

DOUG G
Dec 18th, 07, 6:49 PM
I do it from time to time like when they're going 10 under the limit in the fast lane... or when they hit the brakes going up hill and nothing in site.

As for those who hit their brakes or slow down... I think thats why they made the third brake light. There's been a few times thats all I can see.

al carson
Dec 18th, 07, 6:54 PM
Why would you want to tailgate anyway??? Sometimes I think we need to start using your brain.Why would you want to play chicken little.

csmnlm
Dec 18th, 07, 6:58 PM
They need to prove you were doing a brake check on them first. Maybe you were just slowing for a dog that ran out in front of your car.

It drives me crazy when I'm driving at least the speed limit or maybe over and I still have someone tailgating me.

69chevelle355
Dec 18th, 07, 7:04 PM
I kept my speed of 65mph. He passed me on the right in the slow lane then cut me off and slowed down to 15mph directly in front of me in the lane I was in.

If there was no one on the road ( I'm guessing that you weren't passing anybody?) Then why were you in the fast lane? I'm sorry, but nothing pisses me off more than someone who is in the fast lane and shouldn't be.

If a guy is tailgating you and you brake check them and they hit you, you are the cause of the accident.:yes:

You will be at fault.

Elcoman is right on. There was a car pacing the car's in the slow lane on a highway. After clearly passing a few signs that said "slower traffic keep right", I got pretty close to her to let her know to get out of my way (no one wants a lifted suburban with 35's on their ass). She brake checked me (hard!) and I just about tore the whole back end off her car. Bent up my light bar a little bit, but nothing major. Highway patrol got there...She got a reckless driving ticket and was found at fault.

70 beater
Dec 18th, 07, 7:50 PM
In the Cherokee,going from 5th to 3rd gives 'em a surprise.If I'm in my truck or the Chevelle I'll ease over to the shoulder and kick stuff up like someone else said,if there's a lot of crap on the road I'll punch it and kick up a whole mess of stuff not good for paint/windshields.

PaPa Johns 77
Dec 18th, 07, 7:52 PM
Truth is if you are so close that a brake check causes you to hit the car ahead, IT IS YOUR FAULT! It is most commonly called following to close to avoid an accident. It is one of the most common tickets gigen in an accident.

Jay, if she had went to court and fought the ticket it would have been tossed out. YOU should have been ticketed for tailgating!

Here where I live you a$$end another car you bought a ticket 99% of the time. Even in bad weather!:yes:

SebJr
Dec 18th, 07, 7:57 PM
When I'm on the highway..... not too many people on my a$$:noway:

Sid Coleman
Dec 18th, 07, 8:12 PM
Once I was doing 65 in a 55 on the Baltimore/washington Parkway in Maryland. I had a guy flashing his lights at me at 200 yards behind me as he was approaching. This was around midnight and we were the only cars on the two land road in both directions. I stayed in my lane he tailgated me and flashed his brights and honked his horn. I kept my speed of 65mph. He passed me on the right in the slow lane then cut me off and slowed down to 15mph directly in front of me in the lane I was in. I managed to play his game. He gave up after about 1 minute after he realized I was just going to play his game. After the minute was up he sped off.

Do ya think you should have gone over to the slow lane?? Which part of "Slower traffic keep right" don't people understand??

But 2 wrongs don't make a right, he should have just gone around after you kept plugging up the fast lane.

Elcoman
Dec 18th, 07, 8:13 PM
Truth is if you are so close that a brake check causes you to hit the car ahead, IT IS YOUR FAULT! It is most commonly called following to close to avoid an accident. It is one of the most common tickets gigen in an accident.

Jay, if she had went to court and fought the ticket it would have been tossed out. YOU should have been ticketed for tailgating!

Here where I live you a$$end another car you bought a ticket 99% of the time. Even in bad weather!:yes:

Since when is aggressive driving legal?:confused:

This reminds me of a buddy. He never finished high school, never really picked up any books, but knew everything.:D

And he spent too much time listening to his mom.:yes:

jfkheat
Dec 18th, 07, 8:27 PM
[QUOTE=Elcoman;1614466]Since when is aggressive driving legal?:confused:

QUOTE]

Sorry, but I have to agree with Johnny on this one. If you rearended me when I brake checked, we would be in court. Tailgating is also aggressive driving.
James

SethT
Dec 18th, 07, 8:32 PM
Ever since I started driving a Duramax I have not had any tail gating problems. Some start to, but back off after about 5 seconds. I think it has something to do with the 4" dual exhaust, and no catalytic converter. Everyone I know that has driven behind me has made sure to tell me how awful the exhuast was. Now with the help of EFI Live software, I can dump clouds of carbon at will!...Kinda like the James Bond smoke screen

1badss396
Dec 18th, 07, 8:42 PM
Ever since I started driving a Duramax I have not had any tail gating problems. Some start to, but back off after about 5 seconds. I think it has something to do with the 4" dual exhaust, and no catalytic converter. Everyone I know that has driven behind me has made sure to tell me how awful the exhuast was. Now with the help of EFI Live software, I can dump clouds of carbon at will!...Kinda like the James Bond smoke screenLMAo sounds like me with my 97 F250 7.3 and keep up with some of the bast thats out their:yes: funny blowing that nice thick black smog when they are behind you:D

Seth the best part is pulling up to a stop light when they have their window down and your truck exhaust pipe is level with their window in a rice burner car and spewing them with that nice sweet diesel smog in their car, Now that is the best...Priceless...:thumbsup:
Just crank it up ultra rich and let the smog fly:D

dscabra
Dec 18th, 07, 9:34 PM
I'm surprised nobody has any comments on the video. Maybe it's because the link didn't take you there directly. Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksoquZTR9Kk

dscabra
Dec 18th, 07, 9:51 PM

If anyone thinks there is not a problem with playing games on the road (tailgating, brake checking, agressive driving) -- read this from a recent case of road rage gone way bad in Colorado.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/12138736/detail.html?subid=22100484&qs=1;bp=t

You are much better off just to let the idiot go without provoking him. You never know what is going through someone's head.

Louey
Dec 18th, 07, 10:27 PM
I still think it's funny how many people think it's okay to break check a tailgater, or otherwise "play" with him, confortable with the knowledge that their tombstone will read "it wasn't my fault, he was tailgating me".

Move over and live, silly. :P The tailgater can't hurt you once he's ahead of you.

SethT
Dec 18th, 07, 10:34 PM
If anyone thinks there is not a problem with playing games on the road (tailgating, brake checking, agressive driving) -- read this from a recent case of road rage gone way bad in Colorado.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/12138736/detail.html?subid=22100484&qs=1;bp=t

You are much better off just to let the idiot go without provoking him. You never know what is going through someone's head.

No kidding. I used to get real hot under the collar. When ever something irritating is happening on the road I remind myself the sole purpose of my trip is to get from point "A" to point "B", and that it is it. It is not to confront anyone, teach anyone a lesson, or get hurt, just simply to get where I am going. For the folks here that think the brake test is a sollution, ponder the potential aftermath. When someone's life of limbs are gone, it won't matter who is right or wrong. And the worst part of it all....all this risk for what? Because someone didn't approve of someone elses' driving....way to go.

66sc
Dec 18th, 07, 10:43 PM
I'm with the don't drive slowly in the left lanes crowd on this one. I have no idea why the cell phone talking, slow driving, etc. er, people feel a need to drive in the wrong lane and then get upset when someone gets behind them.

When the slow lane is the left lane, the whole system breaks down.

quikss
Dec 18th, 07, 10:45 PM
LMAo sounds like me with my 97 F250 7.3 and keep up with some of the bast thats out their:yes: funny blowing that nice thick black smog when they are behind you:D

Seth the best part is pulling up to a stop light when they have their window down and your truck exhaust pipe is level with their window in a rice burner car and spewing them with that nice sweet diesel smog in their car, Now that is the best...Priceless...:thumbsup:
Just crank it up ultra rich and let the smog fly:D

:D Yeah I can say quite honestly if you ever tried that with me, ricer car or not, you would come to find out your truck suddenly needs four new tires. Phshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............................ ..................................

Jeff

SethT
Dec 18th, 07, 10:48 PM
:D Yeah I can say quite honestly if you ever tried that with me, ricer car or not, you would come to find out your truck suddenly needs four new tires. Phshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............................ ..................................

Jeff

Stop trying to create a market for your NOS tire air! :D

Bryan59EC
Dec 18th, 07, 10:49 PM
I'm with the don't drive slowly in the left lanes crowd on this one. I have no idea why the cell phone talking, slow driving, etc. er, people feel a need to drive in the wrong lane and then get upset when someone gets behind them.

When the slow lane is the left lane, the whole system breaks down.

:yes::yes:

Getting behind a mom in her friggin' Suburban while she is talking on the phone---makes me wish I drove something bigger than the Ranger

And also----the local truck drivers that seem to think that the left lane is just for them.

Nothing more aggravating to be behind a Semi (or anything for that matter) for 10miles 'cause they will not move over.

This is even when they have the room to move-----but---you don't have the room to go around them.

quikss
Dec 18th, 07, 10:49 PM
Stop trying to create a market for your NOS tire air! :D

With the constant rise in the exceptance of clones the market has been down lately. Darn fake tire air:mad:

Jeff

quikss
Dec 18th, 07, 10:55 PM
I love to get some jagoff in his "hot" car tailgating me in the chevelle. I like to speed up just a little so they can speed up too and then I'll goose it just a bit and wait for them to show me they are just as quick, then I'll drop 'er into second and nail it, watch the smoke pour off the tires and then slow down again as they now will get off my ass.:yes:

Jeff

jpete
Dec 18th, 07, 11:24 PM
I used to let tailgaters bother me, and I'd bother them right back.

Until that day I found myself on the wrong end of a revolver.

Now I just drive so fast you'd have to be crazy to tailgate me. :D

And if you are that crazy, I'll pull over and let you pass. It helps clear out any lurking state police. :D

72ElkieSS
Dec 18th, 07, 11:52 PM
[quote=jpete;1614773]I used to let tailgaters bother me, and I'd bother them right back.

Until that day I found myself on the wrong end of a revolver.

I hear that! People are F'n crazy these days. 1 more minute isn't gonna kill you. When did driving become all about ME:sad:

Theres nothing worse than some AHole tailgateing when your in your hotrod at night! Some people have no idea what its like to drive an old car!

Elcoman
Dec 19th, 07, 12:22 AM
I'm surprised nobody has any comments on the video. Maybe it's because the link didn't take you there directly. Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksoquZTR9Kk

Sorry Dave.
This video was posted awhile back, within the last month.
Some threads just end up off track.:D

dscabra
Dec 19th, 07, 1:24 AM
I remember seeing the video recently as well, but after reading some of the comments I thought I'd jump in with the Colorado road rage conviction story and follow the direction of the thread. The saddest part of the whole thing was that the driver that was killed on the other side of the highway (the one with absolutely no involvement in whatever was going on with the other two) was on his way home with some ice cream for his daughter's birthday party. I was really becoming aggressive myself out of frustration with all the idiots that seem to think the road is theirs alone. Its pretty easy to get aggressive in a large diesel pickup with with plenty of power to chase down the offensive driver and show him "who's boss". After this tragedy happened just a couple of miles from my home, I really changed my attitude about what it means to be piloting several thousand pounds of steel down the road only feet from others doing the same thing. If someone does something stupid near me now, I just try to let them get as far away from me as possible -- I have way too much to live for to let some idiot take it all away for something so petty.

Dave

MEJ1990TM
Dec 19th, 07, 4:28 AM
There are times the evil side of me just wants to mash the gas when someone pulls out in front of me. California has got some of the worst drivers ever I have to say.

Laugh if you will but when I first started driving I kind of viewed people as a sort of friend while I was on the road. Now after driving in California for almost two years I get bitter at just about every other car sometimes just for being on the road at the same time as me.

Im not an aggressive driver but all these idiots out there have just gotten under my skin.

One night I was out driving the Chevelle ,on a windy road, some *** in his big SUV and his brights starts ridin my back end. I wasn't that familiar with the road and not that experienced in driving the car so I didn't take off. That went on for a few miles until he went one way at a stop sign and I went another. If that was now I would not hesitate to drop it into second and leave his ass in the dust. :D

I didn't do anything about it but I wanted to go off on him or her. Damn Californians when will they ever learn. :p

69chevelle355
Dec 19th, 07, 10:44 AM

Johnny- I have to disagree...After the amount in attorney fee's and court costs, she would have been better off just paying to fix the car. Had I not had a witness, I probably would have been at fault. The fact of the matter is you can't just stand on your brakes in the middle of traffic for no reason. We both learned a lesson that day. The other driver just got the worse end of the deal.

Volvo240GLT
Dec 19th, 07, 11:53 AM
They don't bother me, I bother them... Nothing like going 20 in a 45..........till they back off.

Problem is they rarely back off because they're too stupid to understand. I normally slow down more and more and then suddenly break *really* hard. They usually start flashing and beeping me but won't get there any faster.

I *hate* tail gaters more than anything else!

Sorry :)

iraq 69
Dec 19th, 07, 11:56 AM
Hey All,
Early on in my tour in Iraq, the ROE allowed us to keep civilian cars/trucks away from the back of our vehicles. The business end of a .50 cal pointed at then worked sometimes. Once in a while it took a couple rounds into the road in front of them. A few times it took a couple rounds into the hood to make them back off.:D:D:D:D
God Bless America!!!:thumbsup:

Marc :beers::beers:

PaPa Johns 77
Dec 19th, 07, 1:07 PM
Johnny- I have to disagree...After the amount in attorney fee's and court costs, she would have been better off just paying to fix the car. Had I not had a witness, I probably would have been at fault. The fact of the matter is you can't just stand on your brakes in the middle of traffic for no reason. We both learned a lesson that day. The other driver just got the worse end of the deal.

If you did not have time to react, you were following too close. It is just that simple! What if it was a person that just reailized it was their turn off? Same thing too close .
Also, don't cost that much to go to the hearing date on the ticket and challege it. Most likely would be dropped by the judge right then and there. I've had them dropped without even having an attorney present. Just a common sense talk with the Judge.

Let1Hang
Dec 19th, 07, 1:22 PM
This thread really touched a sore spot on me as I happen to get behind people just like you all that like to slow down/brake check/get pissed off each and every day in my commute. I must say that on normal two lane traffic double-yellow lined roads I make sure to keep an assured and clear distance for the road conditions. In adverse condions on multi-laned highways I too keep an assured and clear distance. But under dry road conditions there is no excuse to move over to the slower lanes of traffic when the opportunity presents itself.

I have come across too many idiots that think they are the lane police by doing the speed limit in the fast lane when the lanes to the right are going much faster than they. As I am generally going 5-10 over the limit in the fast lane there is no physical way that I cannot help get closer to you when you are going slower than me. After a bit of time passes/they had numerous opportunity to move over I usually swing a bit to the left so the person in front can see me in more than one mirror in the event they are actually paying attention. If after a while they don't get the hint I give another visual clue by doing a kind and gentle flash of my headlights/brights to let them know that I would like to get by. If they still don't get the hint after a couple of visual cues I will give my horn a tap cluing them in an audible manner as they most likely are blind to begin with. If after the audible clue still doesn't do anything I WILL "zip around them in the right lane and pull in front of them. At that time I WILL give another series of visual clues that they should move over. This usually entails applying the brakes to spark their interest followed by a series of intermintant hazzard lights with the right turn signal indicating that I think they should move to the slower lanes of traffic. If they still don't move over after I have moved ahead of them substantially I usually consider them the "lane police" and they can just eff off.

Now I will address a couple prime responses.

Problem is they rarely back off because they're too stupid to understand. I normally slow down more and more and then suddenly break *really* hard. They usually start flashing and beeping me but won't get there any faster.

I *hate* tail gaters more than anything else!

Sorry :)
If this occurance happens on a normal 2 lane road then you are right. But on a multi-lane highway and you are in the fast lane move the eff over. Perhaps it is you that either are not paying attention or if you are ignoring the signals on purpose the you are the "lane police" and need to eff off and move over.

Do ya think you should have gone over to the slow lane?? Which part of "Slower traffic keep right" don't people understand??

But 2 wrongs don't make a right, he should have just gone around after you kept plugging up the fast lane.
You don't know how many times I have HAD to move all the way from the fast lane to the far right lane and back just to pass some inconsiderate "lane police" because the choose to ignore my kind gestures to move to the slower lanes of traffic when given the opportunity. I know this is not the proper measure to take but when they WILL NOT get the eff out of the way and the opportunity presents itself what else is there left to do?

Why would you want to tailgate anyway??? Sometimes I think we need to start using your brain.Why would you want to play chicken little.
Because when you are going the speed limit in the fast lane and the lanes to the right of you are going faster you need to move the eff over.

You are in the wrong here. It doesn't matter what time of day it is or what the amount of traffic is on the road is or what your speed compared to the speed limit is... If someone is going faster than you and they indicate this by "flashed his brights and honked his horn" you need to move over and let him by. You can be sited for not yeilding for faster moving traffic. Next time that you run into this situation do your blood pressure a favor and move over.

I hate tailgaters. I'll tap my brakes once to let them know to back off. If they don't back off, I'll hit the brakes a little harder. If that doesn't work, I slam on brakes for a second or so if there is no other traffic that will be affected.
James
Once again if this happens on a two lane road... then OK. But if you are in the fast lane and pull this expect some flashing and horn blowing as most likely you are the "lane police" and are refusing to move over. There's nothing I can't stand more than being behind a recognized "lane police" by the visual cue of their brake lights and they still refuse to move over and let faster traffic pass. This really enrages me to the point that I will pass them given the opportunity and apply my series of visual cues to indicate that I believe they should move over the slower lanes of traffic. Usually I apply the first cue a bit longer and harder than normal and I usually add in one additional gesture. If you find the need to brake check while you are in the fast lane.... think about it... you're going slower than everyone else in that lane. Please move over. If you feel the need to brake check when in any of the slower lanes then just ignore the idiot and let them pass you in the appropriate passing lanes to your left.

tail gaters don't bother me. Unless its a semi. Its the morons that think the car length I left between me and the guy in front of me is there for them to zip around me in their Indy Prepped Civic and dart into the hole. Wish I could just put that SUV chrome horn to them and drop kick their silly little econo coffins onto the shoulder when they do that.
I realize that you are trying to keep an assured and cleared distance but sometimes this is all the car has to move in front of you are you are clearly going slower than them... perhaps in the fast lane? If not then it's probably a temporary thing as they are trying to move in front of a slower moving vehicle/"lane police" in the fast lane. Do not take offense.

I hope I've gotten my point across that if you are going slow in the fast lane and either refuse to move over or don't see/hear my visual/audible cues then you are an eff'er for the former and need to get off the effin' cell phone/go back to drivers ed for the latter.

For those that I responded to please do not take personal offense. I was just using your replies as examples or scenarios to address.

Rant off.

Astro Vent
Dec 19th, 07, 2:47 PM
the one thing that pi$$es me off is those people that stay in the passing lane go below the speed limit and hold up everyone else in the passing lane. for exaaple i was on 280 here in nj and i was in the passing lane going 65-70 in a 60 and the guy in front of me was going 55 in the passing lane. The problem was i woudln't have minede going around him from the right but there were too many cars. The bottom line is: If you are in the passing lane and there is someone coming up on you from the behind, move aside because it's the PASSING lane, there's middle lanes/end lanes for everything else. But that's the only time ya know? other than that tailgating is just a stupid thing to do you put lives in danger. my 2c

69chevelle355
Dec 19th, 07, 2:47 PM
Johnny-

You must have misunderstood. I do not ride people's asses if they are in the slow lane. Same thing goes for people just cruising through town. They are doing nothing wrong. She was in the passing lane and she wasn't passing anyone. If you aren't passing anyone get the heck out. It's that simple. If your exit is coming up, you shouldn't be in the fast lane anyways...

I also highly doubt that a common sense talk with a judge will get you out of a reckless driving ticket. You have to pay an attorney, take time to get off of work, pay court costs, gas money. There are lots of things to factor in with tickets. Your courts must be a lot easier to work with then the ones around here.

dreis454
Dec 19th, 07, 2:58 PM
Re: Do tailgaters bother you?

only when they don't share their BBQ:mad:

Beaux
Dec 19th, 07, 3:01 PM
This thread really touched a sore spot on me as I happen to get behind people just like you all that like to slow down/brake check/get pissed off each and every day in my commute. I must say that on normal two lane traffic double-yellow lined roads I make sure to keep an assured and clear distance for the road conditions. In adverse condions on multi-laned highways I too keep an assured and clear distance. But under dry road conditions there is no excuse to move over to the slower lanes of traffic when the opportunity presents itself.

I have come across too many idiots that think they are the lane police by doing the speed limit in the fast lane when the lanes to the right are going much faster than they. As I am generally going 5-10 over the limit in the fast lane there is no physical way that I cannot help get closer to you when you are going slower than me. After a bit of time passes/they had numerous opportunity to move over I usually swing a bit to the left so the person in front can see me in more than one mirror in the event they are actually paying attention. If after a while they don't get the hint I give another visual clue by doing a kind and gentle flash of my headlights/brights to let them know that I would like to get by. If they still don't get the hint after a couple of visual cues I will give my horn a tap cluing them in an audible manner as they most likely are blind to begin with. If after the audible clue still doesn't do anything I WILL "zip around them in the right lane and pull in front of them. At that time I WILL give another series of visual clues that they should move over. This usually entails applying the brakes to spark their interest followed by a series of intermintant hazzard lights with the right turn signal indicating that I think they should move to the slower lanes of traffic. If they still don't move over after I have moved ahead of them substantially I usually consider them the "lane police" and they can just eff off.

If this occurance happens on a normal 2 lane road then you are right. But on a multi-lane highway and you are in the fast lane move the eff over. Perhaps it is you that either are not paying attention or if you are ignoring the signals on purpose the you are the "lane police" and need to eff off and move over.

You don't know how many times I have HAD to move all the way from the fast lane to the far right lane and back just to pass some inconsiderate "lane police" because the choose to ignore my kind gestures to move to the slower lanes of traffic when given the opportunity. I know this is not the proper measure to take but when they WILL NOT get the eff out of the way and the opportunity presents itself what else is there left to do?

Because when you are going the speed limit in the fast lane and the lanes to the right of you are going faster you need to move the eff over.

You are in the wrong here. It doesn't matter what time of day it is or what the amount of traffic is on the road is or what your speed compared to the speed limit is... If someone is going faster than you and they indicate this by "flashed his brights and honked his horn" you need to move over and let him by. You can be sited for not yeilding for faster moving traffic. Next time that you run into this situation do your blood pressure a favor and move over.

Once again if this happens on a two lane road... then OK. But if you are in the fast lane and pull this expect some flashing and horn blowing as most likely you are the "lane police" and are refusing to move over. There's nothing I can't stand more than being behind a recognized "lane police" by the visual cue of their brake lights and they still refuse to move over and let faster traffic pass. This really enrages me to the point that I will pass them given the opportunity and apply my series of visual cues to indicate that I believe they should move over the slower lanes of traffic. Usually I apply the first cue a bit longer and harder than normal and I usually add in one additional gesture. If you find the need to brake check while you are in the fast lane.... think about it... you're going slower than everyone else in that lane. Please move over. If you feel the need to brake check when in any of the slower lanes then just ignore the idiot and let them pass you in the appropriate passing lanes to your left.

I realize that you are trying to keep an assured and cleared distance but sometimes this is all the car has to move in front of you are you are clearly going slower than them... perhaps in the fast lane? If not then it's probably a temporary thing as they are trying to move in front of a slower moving vehicle/"lane police" in the fast lane. Do not take offense.

I hope I've gotten my point across that if you are going slow in the fast lane and either refuse to move over or don't see/hear my visual/audible cues then you are an eff'er for the former and need to get off the effin' cell phone/go back to drivers ed for the latter.

For those that I responded to please do not take personal offense. I was just using your replies as examples or scenarios to address.

Rant off.

AyyyyyMEN ot that. If your playing lane police in the fast lane and everyone is passing on the right then the grill of my truck will be smack in your rearview mirror. I will sit - FOR A WHILE - waiting you to do what you are supposed to do - move to the right. You dont check your rearview, you are yapping and such, not paying attention then im gonna get your attention.

People that tailgate when I have slower traffic in front of me just because they want to move up one spot in the lane (I would NEVER do this) are morons but I have a class 3 trailer hitch for em and dont care where they are behind me. I wont tailgate for no reason but if its an open road or if your are going much slower than all other traffic in the fast lane then you are just an a$$ and im gonna crawl up your damn muffler with my truck.

BTW - speed limit is theoretically set by traffics pace, regardless of the signs and if everyone is doing 80 in the fast lane (very common in many places) and you are doing 60 then YOU are the accident waiting to happen, YOU are the obstacle, YOU are the idiot and YOU need to get out of the damn way.

72 malibu
Dec 19th, 07, 3:53 PM
Boy, tailgaters - had a experience last weekend going to get a X-mas tree, guy flew up to a stop, I saw him and just thought"I hope this numbskull goes the other direction".Well next thing he is on my butt. I was following my buddy and let off the gas, hoping he would get the hint. Well he didn't, I tapped the brakes, no dice. Now he comes fast right on my butt, and tries to pass me, which I let him.And brake checks me a couple of times. So at this 's' in the road he stops(no stop sign) to wave a car on at the stop , to try a to prove to me he was gonning to get me. Well I went to his right and around him, he was really po'ed now, flipping me off, pulling up next to me and trying to get me to pull over, to fight. Well I am in no mood to deal w/ this punk kid and lack of driving experience, so I ignore him, and he tries to pass me again, this time I am behind my bud in his truck, so he see this and swerves to stop him from passing me. This kid was nuts and was so poe'd because I did not like him tailgating me. He deserved a beating, but I don't have the time,$$ for a lawyer after I beat the schnikes out of him for such antics at this point in my life, he will get his, and it will not be long.This was on a two lane, no passing 35 mph road at 10 am on a Saturday, no other traffic around, I wish I was not around for this guy either.

Astro Vent
Dec 19th, 07, 4:35 PM
I've reached points on these highways that i start ventiliating so hard and literraly start shouting til my lungs collapse. I can't help it with some of these people on the road.

and question for all of you: HAVE YOU EVER GOTTEN TAILGATED IN YOUR CHEVELLE?!
i know i have, and all i wanted to do was get the baseball bat out of my trunk and beat the * out their car and their legs.

jfkheat
Dec 19th, 07, 5:18 PM
One thing that a lot of you seem to not understand is just because the left lane is called the fast lane doesn't mean you are supposed to drive over the limit there. It is supposed to be for passing vehicles that are driving below the limit in the right lane.
James

Dean
Dec 19th, 07, 5:39 PM
The fast lane can only be as fast as the legal speed limit.

signed - idontpayanymindtotailgaters

:D

In Kansas we have a law that says you can only drive in the fast lane when overtaking a slower moving vehicle but it is very seldom enforced.

Astro Vent
Dec 19th, 07, 5:49 PM
Yes, i know that when i take my 72velle on the weekends or whenever everyone stares at me, i grab a ridiculous amount of attention and i love it!!!:p But, there have been times when people, full well knowing that i am driving a nice looking OLD car, decide to get on my a$$ and start tailgating or honking! i get so aggravated i jsut want to take the baseball bat out of my trunk and beat them and their cars into the ground. Some people have no mind for these classic cars, they just tail gate but the problem is that if they end up messing up certain parts on my car, it's hard to get original gm parts for it. Just pi$$es me off that people will mess with you full well knowing that you have a nice and exotic car but they don't care. :cool:

BrentsChevelle
Dec 19th, 07, 5:51 PM
People like that are everywhere. :sad:
I encounter them driving any kind of car. :D

Let1Hang
Dec 19th, 07, 6:03 PM
One thing that a lot of you seem to not understand is just because the left lane is called the fast lane doesn't mean you are supposed to drive over the limit there. It is supposed to be for passing vehicles that are driving below the limit in the right lane.
James

Take a look at my states BMV driver's guide. http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/pdf_forms/HSY-7607.pdf Please take note of pages 36 & 37. I'm still searching for the actual state law that states this. Here's a little excerpt:

Slow Traffic
Vehicles moving slower than the traffic flow must use the available right lane or stay as close as possible to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

It is called the passing lane irregardless of the posted speed limit, i.e. traffic flow (this is a keyword). Yet many people that think just like this that I happen to get behind on my way to/from work. I commute 60 minutes each way and have the opportunity to get behind many people whom have this same line of thought. Boy I wish people would learn the traffic laws a bit more. Or at least go through a good refresher course. Don't even get me started on the turn/indicator signal usage...

If you want to go exactly the speed limit stay to the right on muli-lane roadways. You have no right to impede traffic flow for those whom want to go faster than the posted limit, i.e. traffic flow. You can be sited for exactly this.

Beaux
Dec 19th, 07, 6:14 PM
Q. Isn't slower always safer?

A. No, federal and state studies have consistently shown that the drivers most likely to get into accidents in traffic are those traveling significantly below the average speed. According to an Institute of Transportation Engineers Study, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are six times as likely to be involved in an accident. That means that if the average speed on an interstate is 70 mph, the person traveling at 60 mph is far more likely to be involved in an accident than someone going 70 or even 80 mph.

And POSTED speedlimits are honestly suggestions and just the POSTED speed limit. I believe its actually established by what 85% of traffic flow is averaging. In many cases and on many freeways in California if you are doing the "posted" speedlimit in the fast lane you are flat out an obstruction and a danger to others

http://www.motorists.org/speedlimits/

Don_Lightfoot
Dec 19th, 07, 6:15 PM
I'm with you Alek. In my daily driver during day to day normal activities tailgating is a fact of life these days and you just live with it as best you can.

I don't get a chance to drive my Chevelle very often, but when I do it just seems to attract every Mustang and Rice Rocket on the planet. They don't do the "horn blowing" thing, but just get behind you and constantly hit and release the gas pedal while on your backside. I do not lower myself to their level by making any kind of acknowledgement they are there :mad: :mad:

JChilders
Dec 19th, 07, 6:20 PM
A good friend of mine was being tailgated by some kid in a ricer. It was a back road with no where for the guy to pass. My friend has a bit of a temper and at the next stop light threw his truck into reverse and parked on the kid's hood. He proceeded to drive off.

This is a good lesson of you never know when you are going to be tailgating a lunatic. But then again if someone is tailgating me I just let them pass. The sooner they are gone the sooner the road is a bit safer for me.

webfoot
Dec 19th, 07, 6:27 PM
I get the ricer thing a lot, since there are so many around here. I pretend like they aren't there, and I think they know my heater blower makes more torque.

Andy69
Dec 19th, 07, 6:31 PM
most people give thumbs up. Only the occasional annoying ricer with their weed wackers.

NOTHINBUT69s
Dec 19th, 07, 6:32 PM
Well when someone does that to me in the truck I just slowly fade onto the shoulder of the road onto the gravel, that usaully works. I wouldnt do it in my chevelle but it does get the point across

PaPa Johns 77
Dec 19th, 07, 6:56 PM
Johnny-

You must have misunderstood. I do not ride people's asses if they are in the slow lane. Same thing goes for people just cruising through town. They are doing nothing wrong. She was in the passing lane and she wasn't passing anyone. If you aren't passing anyone get the heck out. It's that simple. If your exit is coming up, you shouldn't be in the fast lane anyways...

That makes more sense. Here on the expressways you have to stay in the right lane except when passing (new and enforced law). If they catch you cruising down the road in the left lane with no cars to pass it is a ticket.I've even seen where a driver passes a car and stays out in the passing lane because there is a truck or other slower vehicle up ahead in the right they get pulled over. They require you to move back to the right until you overtake the next vehicle. I don't know how they establish the distance or time you can remain but there has to be a standard of some kind.

quikss
Dec 19th, 07, 7:12 PM
Boy I wish people would learn the traffic laws a bit more. Or at least go through a good refresher course.
If you want to go exactly the speed limit stay to the right on muli-lane roadways. You have no right to impede traffic flow for those whom want to go faster than the posted limit, i.e. traffic flow. You can be sited for exactly this.

Are you kidding me? How can you actually use those two sentances in the same post and not feel retarded for it. I am a huge speeder, but never would I consider telling somebody to learn the traffic laws because they are holding my speeding butt up while they are doing the speed limit.:confused:

Jeff

Beaux
Dec 19th, 07, 7:32 PM
Are you kidding me? How can you actually use those two sentances in the same post and not feel retarded for it. I am a huge speeder, but never would I consider telling somebody to learn the traffic laws because they are holding my speeding butt up while they are doing the speed limit.:confused:

Jeff

If you are in the fast lane and you are impeding traffic flow you are a danger and an obstacle and yes, can be cited for it and yes, folks that do this (like on a 4 lane highway, in the fast lane and EVERYONE to their right is moving faster) need a refresher course or need to get the heck off the road. Theres a balance in all of this and (just like politics) there are extremes on both sides (those that impede traffic and those that tailgate IN traffic just because they are aholes and want to move up one spot) that screw up the roads for everybody.

In my book someone doing 55 in a 70 in the fast lane is just as much an ahole as the guy that is tailgating wanting to to 90 in traffic when they have nowhere to go because there is traffic.

quikss
Dec 19th, 07, 7:49 PM
If you are in the fast lane and you are impeding traffic flow you are a danger and an obstacle and yes, can be cited for it and yes, folks that do this (like on a 4 lane highway, in the fast lane and EVERYONE to their right is moving faster) need a refresher course or need to get the heck off the road. Theres a balance in all of this and (just like politics) there are extremes on both sides (those that impede traffic and those that tailgate IN traffic just because they are aholes and want to move up one spot) that screw up the roads for everybody.

In my book someone doing 55 in a 70 in the fast lane is just as much an ahole as the guy that is tailgating wanting to to 90 in traffic when they have nowhere to go because there is traffic.

I can assure you of this, the person that will be cited is the person speeding in the first place. Yes, going 40 in a 55 zone can be considered impeding traffic, and yes it is dangerous in some situations. A person will NOT be cited for impedeing traffic for going 55 in a 55 zone. Try to make that stick in court, just try it. No judge in the country could uphold that ticket. You can NOT cite a person for upholding the law, and charge them with breaking a law for not breaking a law. Just say that a few times, charge a person with breaking a law for not breaking the law. Sounds ridiculous now doesn't it.

Trust me, I speed, a lot. I have recieved more speeding tickets than pretty much every person I know combined, I have lost my drivers liscense for multiple times. Yet the fact is, you will not be cited for impedeing traffic while maintaining the speed limit. If you are, a simple matter of court will rid you of that.

To say someone that obeys traffic laws needs to go to traffic school is one of the dumbest things I have heard in quite some time. I think the person that feels he has the right to break any law he wants, needs to go back to school.

Jeff

Let1Hang
Dec 19th, 07, 7:58 PM
Well here's my ride home "tailgating" story for the ride home. I admit I was travelling faster than the normal flow of traffic as at this point in time as the traffic capacity was low. I was in the passing lane and coming up on an SUV that was also travelling faster than the flow of traffic. I ease off the gas and coast in behind him leaving what I consider my normal assured and clear distance. We both are passing another vehicle in the middle lane (three lane freeway each direction). After we both pass the guy in the middle lane he indicates that he will move into the middle lane allowing me to pass. What comes next is what I don't get... the whole time I was passing him he flipped me off!!! I didn't feel that I was "tailgating" as I allowed about 5 car lengths between us. I didn't flash him, honk at him, swerve to the left a bit for him to see me in his side mirror... nothing. This was totally unprovoked. Hell, I was only behind him in total for about a minute. I believe that he was pissed because I was travelling faster than he was willing to and he thought it was unsafe. Obviously this is a single sided story but was I in the wrong for any reason other than travelling at a greater speed than he?

Craig's Tips to not be tailgated in the fast/passing lane on a multi-laned road

1. If you are unable or unwilling to keep up with the traffic in front of you you are moving too slow for the flow of traffic. Please move into any of the right lanes.

2. If you find yourself getting passed by numerous cars on the right and have no one in front of you for quite a ways (1/5 mile) you are moving too slow for the flow of traffic. Please move into any of the right lanes.

3. If you find yourself with 1/5 mile of assured and clear distance between you and the car in front of you and you are a. not passing anyone or b. are not being passed as a courtesy please move into any of the right lanes as more than likely the person behind you would like to move ahead of you.

Okay... I think I'm done for now. I'm finally home. It's time to let my blood pressure return to normal. Cheers :beers: and good night.

John D
Dec 19th, 07, 11:12 PM
No... They usually wind up underneath me.... and by no cause other than they were asleep, talking on the phone, reading a book/newspaper, putting on make-up, or in general FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE TO REACT TO THE DRIVING CONDITIONS!

(My trailer light connector got bent!!)
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj319/celba/cars/th_damage_ss.jpg (http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj319/celba/cars/damage_ss.jpg)

(hello flatbed)
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj319/celba/cars/th_S2300005se.jpg (http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj319/celba/cars/S2300005se.jpg)

Dean
Dec 19th, 07, 11:30 PM
The problem is TOO MANY people think everyone should get out of their way so they can break the law (which I do unless I'm passing someone at the time)

Bryan59EC
Dec 20th, 07, 12:04 AM
I can assure you of this, the person that will be cited is the person speeding in the first place. Yes, going 40 in a 55 zone can be considered impeding traffic, and yes it is dangerous in some situations. A person will NOT be cited for impedeing traffic for going 55 in a 55 zone. Try to make that stick in court, just try it. No judge in the country could uphold that ticket. You can NOT cite a person for upholding the law, and charge them with breaking a law for not breaking a law. Just say that a few times, charge a person with breaking a law for not breaking the law. Sounds ridiculous now doesn't it.

Jeff

I'd bet money on this---:yes:

Someone I know had been cited for doing 60 in a 55 impeding traffic in Los Angeles County. She was actually in the center/left of a 4 lane (I-10)
(Back in 1985 or so)

Seveal years earlier I was pulled over and warned on the same freeway
(driving too slow with Mom in the car--center/left lane---I was still a teen, but with mom and sis in the truck I was attempting to be sane)

Now, neither Mary, (lady in the first example) nor I happened to be residents of Califorina when these episodes happened.

Mary, in her 50s at the time---lived in Phoenix (where I moved to at 20)
And I was a resident of Idaho.

You can also be cited for doing 55 in a 55, for speeding, or unsafe speed, in inclimate weather or icy/wet roads:yes:.

In California it is entirely PROBABLE you will get rear-ended VERY hard if you wish to travel at anything less than 80mph on I-5. I have been passed by Motorhomes in SanBernardino County like I was going backwards and I was going 80 in the slow lane.

1000+ people on the hiway will set the speed limit with absolutely no regard to the signs, and the one causing the jam-up will get the ticket.

Bryan

Derek69SS
Dec 20th, 07, 12:06 AM
I'm seriously dissappointed in some of the responses in this topic. :sad:

Intentionally holding up people who are in a hurry for reasons you don't know is appalling to me. You have no idea if the person wanting to pass you is rushing himself or a family member to the hospital, or any other type of family/medical emergency.

I know I sure as hell would not be proud of keeping someone from making it to the hospital in time to spend their last moments with a dying family member.

Sure 99% of them may be reckless arrogant jackasses, but you don't know which are which by their headlights. Put yourself in the shoes of someone in a real emergency, and see if you think the brake-checking high-and-mighty self-appointed traffic enforcers are being funny.

72ElkieSS
Dec 20th, 07, 12:42 AM
2 words people: ANGER MANAGEMENT!:mad:

Wooderson
Dec 20th, 07, 3:45 AM
One country, united :D

Volvo240GLT
Dec 20th, 07, 4:12 AM

*** Post from me - sorry can't get quoting to work properly ***

Right, I'm happy with your response...

1) I very, very rarely move into the fast lane. *If* I do, I move lanes and *accelerate* to overtake and then move back into the "slow" lane. So many people when overtaking in the fast lane forget to accelerate and spend unnecessary minutes there trying to pass another car.

2) I'm talking both 2 and multi-lane roads but mainly two lane roads where people tailgate even though they don't really want to pass. A lot of them don't think about it and tend to drive like they're hypnotized just following the tail lights of the car in front

3) People in the fast lane when coming up to an exit, pull in behind me kinda close, which is ok since traffic can be dense, but then *stay* there 10m behind me waiting for their exit. Pull in and then back off is the way to do it!

It's been some frosty mornings around here this week and I drive through town in 30 and 40mph limits and people don't respect speed limits, safety distances or the fact that the road is -2 degrees and white!

One country, united :D

Which one?!