: What Song Did You Think Sucked At First But Now Like??

deluxe
Dec 17th, 07, 12:57 PM
Knowing most members love of music here and the varitey in taste, Im curious. For me it was A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum. As Ive gotten old(er), its become one of my favorites.

69396ss
Dec 17th, 07, 1:03 PM
That's how I feel about camaros.

joeyv69ragtop
Dec 17th, 07, 1:09 PM
I feel that way about 90% of the GTA Vice City soundtrack. It's all circumstance. I hate 96.1 wjye easy listening crap, but put one of those songs in my favorite video game, or if it's playing during a particularly good sexperience, i may decide i now like the song.

Whiter Shade of Pale.... prime example. It played at my old job every shift I worked. I didnt care for it much, but the experience around the sang made me like the song, like my friends (co-workers) and i singing the song or dancing to it, or one time when my manager sang it to me in front of a whole dining room of customers. Mighty Taco has changed my opinion of many songs. we call them comcast classics (we had comcast sattelite radio... only 1 station) so we kinda had to choice but to grow to like a lot of the songs.

Beaux
Dec 17th, 07, 1:15 PM
Jazz. Period.

Also a lot of sinatra stuff. The more I learn about the guy, the more I listen the more I like.

The exact opposite of this for me - Elvis, the rolling stones, anything with Steven Tyler and last but not least: the red hot chili peppers. I cannot stand them to the point where I will leave any department store, elevator or car dealership that might be playing it in original or instrumental. Chili peppers specifically.....you could splice all their damn CD's together and it would sound like one loooooooong song. Chili peppers make me want to put my head through a wall.

depley
Dec 17th, 07, 1:32 PM
Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer.

Initially I was not a fan of Bon Jovi, other than Wanted Dead or Alive. I have since become a real fan.

va72mlibu
Dec 17th, 07, 1:43 PM
Don't Stop Believin' by Journey. Never liked that song until the series finale of the Sopranos.

Rich-L79
Dec 17th, 07, 1:52 PM
Anything by Foreigner. I hated them as a teenager but I sure find myself tapping my foot and singing along when their songs come on the radio.

rbwjr325
Dec 17th, 07, 1:54 PM
P.H. your showing yur age

BonzoHansen
Dec 17th, 07, 1:55 PM
Carouselambra on In Through The Out Door.

PaPa Johns 77
Dec 17th, 07, 2:07 PM
Rap songs......ah........no.......I think............no..........nevermind, they still all suck!:yes:

69malibu3speed
Dec 17th, 07, 5:28 PM
Rap songs......ah........no.......I think............no..........nevermind, they still all suck!:yes:

Did you like, (or at least not hate), the first few Rap songs like, "You Can't Touch This" and "Funky Cold Medina." Seems like there were a few kind of upbeat, semi-pleasant Rap songs before they most all became hate filled spoutings of obscenities. Now they all sound really pissed off and,of course, nothing makes them more popular than getting murdered.

quikss
Dec 17th, 07, 5:39 PM
Pretty much anything by the doors. No wait, just checked, still hate them. Actually quite a birt of blues music. I never cared much for it, but I find myself listening to more and more blues.

Jeff

PaPa Johns 77
Dec 17th, 07, 6:02 PM
Did you like, (or at least not hate), the first few Rap songs like, "You Can't Touch This" and "Funky Cold Medina." Seems like there were a few kind of upbeat, semi-pleasant Rap songs before they most all became hate filled spoutings of obscenities. Now they all sound really pissed off and,of course, nothing makes them more popular than getting murdered.

You know, you tend to forget about the early stuff like those. Yes I liked those. There was a real early one I can never remember the name of. The guy talks about going to dinner at his girls moms house and gives a hilarious description of the food!

Gene McGill
Dec 17th, 07, 6:42 PM
Bohemian Rhapsody

furball8994
Dec 17th, 07, 6:51 PM
I grew up hating Country music. Now that's mostly all I listen too. Not just the newer stuff, I even like the older songs that I hated as a kid.

69-CHVL
Dec 17th, 07, 6:54 PM
For some reason I seem to like Rod Stewart, he used to pain me a while back.

Randy Mosier
Dec 17th, 07, 7:27 PM
I thought most 50s music sucked when I was a teenager in the 70s. Now, on the rare occasions I actually listen to music, I only listen to oldies radio stations that play the tunes from the 50s and 60s.

Disco sucks, always did, always will.

Chris R
Dec 17th, 07, 7:28 PM
Used to hate country. But since I have grown older, there are quite a few country tunes out there that are not bad at all. Havent been going out and buying any country music though but cant deny that there are some catchy tunes out there.

davis95
Dec 17th, 07, 7:37 PM
I didn't like Phil Collins' "Suddio", but grew to like it because it was so different.

chevelledude71
Dec 17th, 07, 8:07 PM
Back when I was a Freshman in high school, it was WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE by G N' R. I hated that song the first time I heard it, but I crank the volume up when it's on my CD player or the radio.

Derek69SS
Dec 17th, 07, 8:48 PM
"The Lumberjack" by Jackyl... first time I heard it, I thought "what the hell is this???"

Now it's my ringtone. :thumbsup:

quikss
Dec 17th, 07, 8:59 PM
"The Lumberjack" by Jackyl... first time I heard it, I thought "what the hell is this???"

Now it's my ringtone. :thumbsup:

I just saw Jackyl live this past friday night, unbelievable. For their age they really can put on one helluva great show. And yes, they did the lumberjack song as their final song and with the chainsaw and all. They played the christmas party for our local rock station and tickets were by winning only, couldn't buy them. Less than 800 people got in and it was awesome!!! I would pay to see them again anyday.

Jeff

Dec 17th, 07, 9:10 PM
cant think of anything that i used to NOT like but now i DO like...however, i find just the opposite on a lot of music from the late 70's and 80's. i used to really like some of the sappy pop music back during those decades. now i can't hit the dial fast enough when any of it comes on. i have digressed back to the music style of my youth. hard rock but that does not just mean classic rock, it means SOME of the metal and alternative that someone my age has no business enjoying...but excuse me because i do. a few years ago i went into this music store near Cleveland and picked up this big fat Gibson electric to test out. a couple of the young kids who worked there ease over and i hear them saying something like "i bet we hear some cool jazz licks out of this guy, lets check it out". obviously because of my age. you should have seen the look on their face when i laid down a couple of nasty metal licks complete with screaming pinch harmonics and muted drop d power chords. man i just love doing that stuff, just the reaction alone is worth it.

Derek69SS
Dec 17th, 07, 9:11 PM
They played the christmas party for our local rock station and tickets were by winning only, couldn't buy them. Less than 800 people got in and it was awesome!!! I would pay to see them again anyday.I saw them about a year ago at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake Iowa... tickets were $15, and I was close enough to lean on the stage :hurray:

I couldn't hear for 3 days, but it was the best concert I've ever been to. :yes: I'll go again any time they're close by. :cool:

quikss
Dec 17th, 07, 9:19 PM
I saw them about a year ago at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake Iowa... tickets were $15, and I was close enough to lean on the stage :hurray:

I couldn't hear for 3 days, but it was the best concert I've ever been to. :yes: I'll go again any time they're close by. :cool:

Us too, close enough that we were getting hit with sweat from Jesse James Dupree:pout: Yeah that was gross. He has got to be the highest energy person in rock and roll, he didn't quit for over two hours, non stop mouth going. Very impressive.

Jeff

BlueSS454
Dec 17th, 07, 9:31 PM
Jimi Hendrix. I never really cared for anything of his until the last few years or so when I heard a couple tracks other than Purple Haze.

And I still hate and always will hate Led Zeppelin. That's one band I'll never change my mind about.

MEJ1990TM
Dec 17th, 07, 9:52 PM
Pretty much anything by the doors. No wait, just checked, still hate them. Actually quite a birt of blues music. I never cared much for it, but I find myself listening to more and more blues.

Jeff

Thems fightin words buddy. :boxing:

quikss
Dec 17th, 07, 10:11 PM
Thems fightin words buddy. :boxing:

I stand by my words there, I absolutely hate anything by the doors. Their is nothing that makes me turn off the radio faster than Jim Morrison.

I got the gloves on;):boxing:

Jeff

MEJ1990TM
Dec 17th, 07, 10:22 PM
Hey but what about Other Voices, and Full Circle. Those two albums are technically The Doors but no Jim Morrison. :p

va72mlibu
Dec 17th, 07, 10:28 PM
I stand by my words there, I absolutely hate anything by the doors. Their is nothing that makes me turn off the radio faster than Jim Morrison.

I got the gloves on;):boxing:

Jeff

I got your back...I think the Doors are the most overrated band of all time

MEJ1990TM
Dec 17th, 07, 10:30 PM
Man. All this Haterade. I think im going to drown in it.

jbarberggd
Dec 17th, 07, 11:11 PM
How about "Slow Ride" by Foghat. Used to turn it off but now the 8 minute version is on my "Chevelle" playlist on the Ipod.

Derek69SS
Dec 17th, 07, 11:36 PM
I think the Doors are the most overrated band of all time

That title belongs to Van Halen, especially during the Roth years. :yes:

PaPa Johns 77
Dec 17th, 07, 11:59 PM

Amen to that!:yes:

BonzoHansen
Dec 18th, 07, 10:56 AM

that is just wrong....

GtrZan
Dec 18th, 07, 3:57 PM

BWAAHAAAHAAHAHAHAHA!!! :D:D

That is TRULY the funniest thing I've read all week.

I mean pleeeeeeeease... EVH is only one of the most influential guitarists of all time. You can't even argue that point.

Who was in the Doors again? Oh yeah, that Morrison dude... and ?... Rob somebody or other?

novaderrik
Dec 18th, 07, 3:59 PM
oddly enough, the first time i heard "One" by Metallica on the radio, i couldn't' stand it. it just didn't jibe with the Poison and Bon Jovi that mtv had jammed down my throat up to that point. but then i watched the video, and was hooked. it was a seminal moment in my life, really, since it changed my entire outlook on life.
i've got all their albums, have seen them in concert 6 times since 91, and think they just get better and better- which i know is a statement that will turn this entire thread into a "Metallica has sucked since Master of Puppets" thread. but i'm ok with that..

MEJ1990TM
Dec 18th, 07, 5:56 PM
Well that MTV over processed BS has had no effect on me what so ever. I like the music I like because of the music. I coud care less about Jim Morrisons wild, leather clad antics. I listen to the music and thats why I like them.

I can't stand most of the music of today because its all the same crap. It's all either look at me im a goody two shoes, or screaming into the microphone about how much your life sucks.

And for the record its Jim Morrison, Ray "The Man"zareck, Robbie Krieger, and John Densemore. :p

And I bet most of the people out there don't even know that Robbie Krieger wrote some of their biggest hits. Light My Fire ring any bells?

Sorry, I just had to defend the greatest band of all time. :D

quikss
Dec 18th, 07, 6:09 PM
Well that MTV over processed BS has had no effect on me what so ever. I like the music I like because of the music. I coud care less about Jim Morrisons wild, leather clad antics. I listen to the music and thats why I like them.

Couldn't care less if he sang naked, the fact of the matter is his voice sucks, and the group as a whole suck.

Jeff

MEJ1990TM
Dec 18th, 07, 6:13 PM
Why do you think the band sucks?

Matter of fact I am going to go put on The End just for you. :p

novaderrik
Dec 18th, 07, 10:21 PM
Why do you think the band sucks?

i think he means that he thinks the band sucks.
music is a subjective thing. believe it or not, there are those amongst us that don't listen to music that you need to shoot up with heroine and smoke a pound of pot to understand. some off us like our music loud and in your face, and some of us like it more laid back and mellow.
he Doors is just as whiny as some of the new stuff people listen to, but they tried to make it sound more arty and "smart" back then, since they couldn't just come out and say "i shot up a bunch of heroine and now i have a pen in my hand".

quikss
Dec 18th, 07, 10:23 PM
i think he means that he thinks the band sucks.
music is a subjective thing. believe it or not, there are those amongst us that don't listen to music that you need to shoot up with heroine and smoke a pound of pot to understand. some off us like our music loud and in your face, and some of us like it more laid back and mellow.
he Doors is just as whiny as some of the new stuff people listen to, but they tried to make it sound more arty and "smart" back then, since they couldn't just come out and say "i shot up a bunch of heroine and now i have a pen in my hand".

Thank you:thumbsup:

Jeff

MEJ1990TM
Dec 18th, 07, 10:42 PM
Have you actually listened to all of their albums? Or have you just listened to the songs that would have been on the radio. I haven't gotten any of that out of their music. And I've never had to be high to understand it.

It isn't doped up radndomness its poetry man. But whatever I dont need to defend music. You either like it or you don't I guess.

69396ss
Dec 19th, 07, 12:24 AM
A cranked up loud, "L.A. Woman" by the Doors. :thumbsup: a personal favorite.

I mean seriously, any band you still talk about 40 years later are obvious Legends and Super Stars.

You certainly don't have to like them, but that simple fact won't change.

On the other hand, some of their stuff certainly is out there, but all of the Rock music from that era was Drug induced. Joplin, Hendrix and on and on.

It was a whole different culture.

And if you were still able to hold a pen in your hand, then you weren't really doing drugs in the 60's. :D

MEJ1990TM
Dec 19th, 07, 2:55 AM
Well I do admit that When the Musics Over and The End are kinda trippy. But its all good in my eyes, or should I say ears. :D

GtrZan
Dec 19th, 07, 8:24 AM

I mean seriously, any band you still talk about 40 years later are obvious Legends and Super Stars.

You certainly don't have to like them, but that simple fact won't change.

On the other hand, some of their stuff certainly is out there, but all of the Rock music from that era was Drug induced. Joplin, Hendrix and on and on.

It was a whole different culture.

And if you were still able to hold a pen in your hand, then you weren't really doing drugs in the 60's. :D

People still talk about The Monkees after 40 years too :)

kevin d
Dec 19th, 07, 10:08 AM

One of the funniest things I've heard on radio was the morning crew at KPOI in Hawaii calling directory assistance asking for the number to Mr. Mojo Risin.

It wasn't until I mellowed out a little that I really started to appreciate John Denver.