What's the deal with the 350 Long Block??? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: What's the deal with the 350 Long Block???

troutdog
Oct 24th, 07, 8:03 PM
Gave another quote to a guy for a Stock SBC 350 rebuild. Which is $850-1200 depending on what machine work is needed and if you bring me the motor. That's Moly top rings, Fel Pro, Clevite, brass freeze plugs, hypereutectic pistons and more.

So the guy says Oreilly has a 350 Long Block for $995. Yea for El-Cheap-O crap in it.
So I call all the local part stores to get more info. They all sell the 350 Long Block,, I said I wanted a Small Block 350,, they said they don't make them anymore??
I asked what bearing and Gaskets are used,,, They didn't know :).

Are they call a SBC a Long Block now?

Bryan59EC
Oct 24th, 07, 9:06 PM
A long block is an assembled engine without sheetmetal or intake. Most likely will not have a balancer or front cover either.

As of lately--engines with roller lifters/cams will not come with the cam or lifters.

A short block is just the block, crank, pistons, and cam (in the case of a flat tappet cam). No heads or related valvetrain.

Olle
Oct 24th, 07, 9:13 PM
So I call all the local part stores to get more info. They all sell the 350 Long Block,, I said I wanted a Small Block 350,, they said they don't make them anymore??
I asked what bearing and Gaskets are used,,, They didn't know :).

Are they call a SBC a Long Block now?

They just don't know what they are selling. It doesn't matter if it's a short block, long block or a complete engine, a Chevy small block is a Chevy small block. A short block is a complete assembled engine block (block w/ rotating assembly), a long block is a short block with cylinder heads. This doesn't have anything to do with what kind or brand the engine is.

novaderrik
Oct 24th, 07, 9:14 PM
you probably confused them when you said "small block"..
they probably sell long blocks, and used the sell short blocks, but they don't sell a "small block".

furball8994
Oct 24th, 07, 9:22 PM
Joey. Your first mistake was asking a parts store employee a question that did not compute. A lot of the younger counter help couldn't tell the differance between a SBC from a BBC or a long block from a short block.
Take them these pictures.
short block.
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/80912561723.jpg
long block.
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/80910067353.jpg
turn Key
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/800/809/809-12499712_R.jpg

troutdog
Oct 24th, 07, 11:15 PM
OHh,,, I see. Makes me feel stupid :).
Thanks you all,,,

Motorhead62
Oct 24th, 07, 11:25 PM
I worked full time as a Manager at a major parts store for 14 months after I retired from the Air Force. I am also ASE certified. You would not beleive what kind of people the Auto Parts business hires. The reason is low wages. Good people will not work for next to minimum wage. I worked with kids that could not tell a spark plug from a gasket.

Now about the 350 engine. Yes, you can buy a cheap rebuilder engine long block for $1000 or less but you get what you pay for. We have a rebuilder in town that sells them for $700. If you like to play roulette on quality, I guess they might be worth it. They are junk IMO.

Some people say I charge too much for my engines and others say I don't charge enough for the caliber of work I do. There are lots of places to buy engines from these days. The one problem: Quality is hard to find!

troutdog
Oct 25th, 07, 8:46 AM
Yep,, Quality My motto.

Thanks motorhead62

fabio
Oct 25th, 07, 11:07 AM
find yourself somebody local, that ways if the thing leaks or is having problems you can have the builder check it out. If you have a local drag strip ask around. If a few names keep coming up then you know the place does decent work.

troutdog
Oct 25th, 07, 11:20 PM
I'm no master mechanic, I built my first motor when I was 18 with no outside help. Just a Haynes Manual and HPC magazine. It still runs like a top,,, sort of :).
I'm now 27 and done 10 or 12 rebuilds since. Many many cam installs. I just had never herd a sbc called a Long Block,,,,,now I know.
Thanks All

Schurkey
Oct 26th, 07, 2:08 AM
There's a wanna-be machine shop near here that wanted to make it's fortune selling replacement engines.

Guy I know ordered a long-block from them. He received a short block mounted to a wood pallet and then mummified in plastic wrap--to which a set of heads were then bolted on. They put the gaskets and heads right on top of the plastic wrap. Poked the head bolts and pushrods through the plastic wrap and screwed 'em into the block.

Production-line rebuilt engines SUCK.