4L60E Drum Condition Question? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 4L60E Drum Condition Question?

stan65
Sep 8th, 07, 11:17 AM
Hello All,
I am rebuilding the 4L60E that I transplanted into a 66 El Camino and the reverse input drum is scarred up due to the band burning up. In A prior post I asked the question "can you use a early 700R4 (pre aux valve body) reverse input drum in the 4L60E? If so what is the stack up waves and clearances? any help would be great" with no responce, so now I have a new question, how bad can the drum surface be, and can it be turned on a lathe?

Thanks,
Stan

Yelsorc
Sep 8th, 07, 4:35 PM
Hello All,
I am rebuilding the 4L60E that I transplanted into a 66 El Camino and the reverse input drum is scarred up due to the band burning up. In A prior post I asked the question "can you use a early 700R4 (pre aux valve body) reverse input drum in the 4L60E? If so what is the stack up waves and clearances? any help would be great" with no responce, so now I have a new question, how bad can the drum surface be, and can it be turned on a lathe?

Thanks,
Stan

yes the early drum will fit a L60E trans. Clutch pack clearance is set the same as the late design. Waved plate in early drum usually goes against the apply piston. Early friction plates are thicker than late friction design.

Surface must be flat on the area that the band applies to.

Turning this drum in a lathe is difficult. It tends to chatter and does not cut well. Companies that refurbish these drums usually grind them flat. This makes the metal thinner and more prone to dish again. I suggest a new drum in a performance application.

stan65
Sep 8th, 07, 5:10 PM
Yelsorc,
Thanks for the reply, but now I have another question, the wave is it really waved or is it beveled? and when you say set the clearance the same as the late, do you mean late as in 4L60E or small hole drum? also is the stack up: Piston-Wave-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Pressure plate?
Thanks,
Stan

stan65
Sep 8th, 07, 6:10 PM
ttt

Yelsorc
Sep 8th, 07, 10:06 PM
Yelsorc,
Thanks for the reply, but now I have another question, the wave is it really waved or is it beveled? and when you say set the clearance the same as the late, do you mean late as in 4L60E or small hole drum? also is the stack up: Piston-Wave-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Steel-friction-Pressure plate?
Thanks,
Stan

early drum with steel apply piston use the waved plate only. Usually against the apply piston. Waved plate against the piston then a friction against the waved plate. See how your clearance sets up. 2 steel plates against each other does not hurt any thing in this drum.

The later aluminum apply piston usually uses the beveled plate against the piston. Beveled plate must be against the aluminum piston. Do NOT install a flat steel plate against the aluminum drum first. It was learned that a flat steel plate could 'stick' to the aluminum apply piston blocking the bleed off hole.... then oil could build up behind the apply piston and partially apply the clutch pack and burn the frictions.

Beveled plate , the center of this plate is "UP" as it installs against the aluminum apply piston

With a small or large ( square) feed hole for the drum with the aluminum piston.... piston has a bleed off hole in it. This hole should be down sized. You can use a round end type punch and dimple the area around this bleed hole to close it down slightly. It does not take much to reduce the size.

Clearance is the same on either drum with 4 friction plates... .040 to .060 is fine.

JarTar74
Sep 9th, 07, 2:14 PM
I dont mean to change the subject, but I am looking for a trany to put in my 72 chevelle behind a 383 stroker. Did you have any problems putting the 4L60E in your 66?

stan65
Sep 9th, 07, 9:17 PM
JarTar74,
I used a throttle body 350 all stock with the full computer and harness so the swap was pretty easy as far as swaps go. I don't know about the aftermarket computers to control the trans stand alone.

Thanks,
Stan

JarTar74
Sep 10th, 07, 10:32 PM
Thanks Stan, I'm just trying to figure out what I want to do. I want an overdrive, just now sure what trany to go with.

clean7t
Sep 11th, 07, 1:25 AM
I love the 700-R4 behind my 406. have everything figured out finally and wouldn't trade it.