: if you like Heavy Metal music..

novaderrik
Aug 20th, 07, 1:21 AM
then you gotta get this box set.
i found the info on the Metallica site, but there is a LOT of music on there even if you (for some weired reason) don't like Metallica...
http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=600364

MEJ1990TM
Aug 20th, 07, 1:41 AM
All hail Metallica. :D

Cameano
Aug 20th, 07, 4:15 AM
Sweet! Of course, while online, you can always just use the free AOL Radio too, they have the All Metallica channel. You probably don't want to try it on dialup, though. ;)

novaderrik
Aug 20th, 07, 4:20 AM
i have my own "all Metallica channel" in the form of all their cd's- live, ep, and studio from Kill 'em All up to and including St Anger- in mp3 form on one cd.
and if that won't play in a particular stereo, i have all the cd's i used to make that disc..
but this thread is about the heavy Metal box set with the Marshall volume knob that goes to 11- just like Spinal tap!!

MEJ1990TM
Aug 20th, 07, 4:33 AM
Up until a couple years ago I though Spinal Tap was an actual band. :p

And you aren't the only one buddy. I've got everything from Kill Em All. One day a friend of mine got serious and said "there is more out there than just Metallica" :D

90% of the stuff I have learned on guitar has been by Metallica. Don't get me wrong I listen to a whole lot of other stuff. In fact I don't listen to Metallica as much as I used too. Now its mostly The Doors, and Eric Clapton. But there is still a healthy dose of METAL UP YOUR A**!!!!! :p

Sorry JWA I couldnt resist that one. :D

bowtie6872
Aug 20th, 07, 7:41 AM
rocktober 2nd....
nice....

too bad they missed
keel
black'n blue
zombie
etc...
but there's always vol.2

joeyv69ragtop
Aug 20th, 07, 9:13 AM
excellent!

Count me in for 1!

Adam Loose
Aug 20th, 07, 10:03 AM
They could've picked a heavier song for Slayer and Pantera.:yes:

novaderrik
Aug 20th, 07, 3:56 PM
i'm just psyched that they picked "Dead Embryonic Cells" for the Sepultura song, and "Caught in a Mosh" for Anthrax.
i think they tried to pick the songs that "defined" a particular band and era.
all in all, i think they did an excellent job of picking a nice cross section of songs and like that they put them in chronological order.
but where's the DRI or Exodus songs? i would love to have more exposure for the song "Toxic Waltz"..

bowtie6872
Aug 20th, 07, 4:00 PM
I have fastway on album..
will be nice to here it without the "pop.crack"etc

bntyhntr00
Aug 20th, 07, 4:18 PM
"Kill Em All" came out while I was in H.S. and I am so glad that I can now afford the system to play it on correctly. I can make any "hard core" 18 year old run screaming at about level 5 "and yes it does go to 11" and if kill em all doesn't do it I fall back on all of my FEAR, DRI, Suicidal Tendencies....dammit I gotta go home for lunch I'm drooling and am getting all wound up!!! oh and BTW Anthrax kicks ass!!! lol

PaPa Johns 77
Aug 20th, 07, 4:57 PM
"I am Cornholeo......"

MEJ1990TM
Aug 20th, 07, 5:41 PM
Im not 18 yet and im not hard core. But good look scaring me. :p

I have been learning some of the songs off kill em all on the guitar. So far I have Hit the Lights, Metal Militia, Seek and Destroy, Jump in the fire, and Whiplash.

Even with how amazing Kill Em All is you just can't top Ride or MOP. :D

Saw
Aug 20th, 07, 6:29 PM
I haven't been able to stay out of Metal discussion since I was in junior high and a teacher told me I shouldn't listen to AC/DC because they talked about "going to Hell".

First. I bet they don't sell too many of those box sets, because anybody that likes metal already has 75% of those songs on CD or their computer already. Everybody has favorites that didn't make the cut, but that is a great start for a 4 disc set. Regardless, cool container-set.

Second. Metallica sucks without Cliff. I like ...And Justice for All anyway, but everything after is pure garbage. I loathe everything after Justice as much as I worship everything before (Garage Days gets a thumbs up). Bob Rock+Metallica=garbage. I realize that this is not the most popular opinion, but I never pass up the opportunity to keep my mouth shut about Metallica.

Third. If Sepultura and Slayer can make the cut, surely Carcass could get some love for "Corporal Jigsore Quandry".

Cheers,

MEJ1990TM
Aug 20th, 07, 7:02 PM
:boxing:How dare you speak this blasphem about the 'Tallica. :mad: :angry:

Where I come from thems fightin words.

70isfine
Aug 20th, 07, 7:08 PM
I already own 95% of those songs.

Saw
Aug 20th, 07, 7:10 PM
Michael, if you were listening to Metallica in 1990 like I was and heard everything after that...after that...you might feel the same way I do. You grew up with Metallica having short hair and fancy clothes. I didn't.

I remember my last point too. Watch "Some Kind of Monster". That movie says it all. They clearly lost the fire that they had in the "Cliff 'Em All" video.

Just my not very humble opinion though.

70isfine
Aug 20th, 07, 7:21 PM
I saw Metallica open for Ozzy when they were on the Master of Puppets tour. Awesome. Just playing in front of a big banner of the album cover art, and they were just wearing ripped up jeans and t shirts. Also saw them on the Black Album tour and on the last tour.They had a great career but they are all but finished IMO.Unless they come up big on the next release they are done. Old fans will always go to the shows, but i dont think to many are into the new stuff. If you watch the Some kind of Monster movie its pretty sad.They are a bunch of mega millionaires sitting around complaining to their shrink how bad life sucks. I'll take the band i saw bashing it out in the late eighties over the 'new' Metallica any day.

MEJ1990TM
Aug 20th, 07, 7:31 PM
Hey they were old in some kind of monster. Old people get that way. :p

Saw
Aug 20th, 07, 8:06 PM
Hey they were old in some kind of monster. Old people get that way. :p

Ahhhhhh.....I sense your sacarsm glasshopper.:thumbsup::beers:

70isfine
Aug 20th, 07, 8:43 PM
Hey Saw, I see your from NOLA. I actually saw them at the Superdome (the arena) the last time around with Godsmack. Good show.

mad hooker
Aug 20th, 07, 8:57 PM
i love metallica, too bad all their new stuff sucks..... too alternative

novaderrik
Aug 20th, 07, 10:17 PM
the purpose of this thread wasn't to start a Metallica discussion..
we all know they just get musically better with age- maybe not in the studio, but definitely live- but some people just can't admit it..

anyways, this thread is about the heavy Metal box set that is coming out that covers everything from In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly to Dead Embryonic Cells by Sepultura- and everything in between- in chronological order. hmmm.. that last song came out in, what, 90 or 91, i think.. wonder what's in the next box set..
i'm gonna get this box set, and everyone that has all the songs should, too. am i the only person that thinks things like this are cool, and the only one that likes having a neat box (with a volume knob that goes to 11!!) sitting on the shelf. stick it in the cd player and just drive...

Alan
Aug 21st, 07, 12:55 AM
anyways, this thread is about the heavy Metal box set that is coming out that covers everything from In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly to Dead Embryonic Cells by Sepultura- and everything in between- in chronological order. hmmm.. that last song came out in, what, 90 or 91, i think.. wonder what's in the next box set..
i'm gonna get this box set, and everyone that has all the songs should, too. am i the only person that thinks things like this are cool, and the only one that likes having a neat box (with a volume knob that goes to 11!!) sitting on the shelf. stick it in the cd player and just drive...

I think it's cool. But I'd rather have a real Marshall amp instead of this box set :cool: . They should drop White Snake, Poison, Great White off. Some of the others too. And Slayer was more thrash metal than heavy metal IMO (I'm a HUGE Slayer fan too). The songs picked for some bands could have been better. But, all-in-all I think it's pretty cool!! Probably won't buy it because I don't have $65 to blow on 4 CDs anymore :(

Chris R
Aug 21st, 07, 1:16 AM
There is a few songs on there I would have felt was a better choice.

"Queen Of The Reich" - Queensryche. A cut off OperationMindcrime would have been a better choice. IMO. Maybe "Eyes of a Stranger".

"Beg To Differ" - Prong. Im thinking "Snap Your Finger, Snap Your Neck." would have been the perfect choice.

I just cant find myself to get into anything Metallica did when Load came out. They were my all time favorite when i was in HS though. Got a thick stack of posters somewhere around here plus several concert t-shirts.

Up until a couple years ago I though Spinal Tap was an actual band. :p:

Actually, they did come together as a legitimate band around the late 80s and made an album called "Break Like The Wind". I actually got it the first day it came out. Not a bad record either.:cool:

MEJ1990TM
Aug 21st, 07, 2:56 AM
Well that I didn't know.

joeyv69ragtop
Aug 21st, 07, 9:07 AM
"Beg To Differ" - Prong. Im thinking "Snap Your Finger, Snap Your Neck." would have been the perfect choice.

:thumbsup::yes:

novaderrik
Aug 21st, 07, 2:50 PM
i beg to differ- i would have chosen "Prove you Wrong".
if it's good enough for Kid Rock to rip off the riff in his song about being a cowboy or whatever, it's good enough for a heavy metal compilation.

Saw
Aug 21st, 07, 11:02 PM
Derrick your right, my bad for starting the Metallica bashing (...but it was like a watermelon hanging up there).

There are a lot of compilations and box sets around and I think they are cool too. With that being said, I'm not going to buy it because I have most of the stuff on CD anyway (and the rest I don't like). Most people that are really into this stuff might agree that if you buy the original album that each of these songs are off of you can find even better cuts from each band. That is what is really cool to me. Bummer it would cost mucho hundreds of dollars. My advice is start with Sepultura. Arise has kept my interest since '91.:)

Cheers,

novaderrik
Aug 22nd, 07, 1:10 AM
agreed- old Sepultura with Max. the newer stuff just doesn't do it for me.

i'll get the box set not for the songs, and not really for the box, but for the book that comes with it. i love reading things like that, and is the reason i don't get the whole music downloading thing. i mean, come on, who doesn't want a neat inlay card to read with cool pictures, maybe a little story about the music, and possibly some lyrics so you can follow along and comprehend what they are trying to say that much quicker?

Cameano
Aug 22nd, 07, 3:19 AM
I took a look at the playlist (finally) and I think they could've done better with some of the stuff too. Metal Church, go with Metal Church, Savatage, maybe Sirens or Scream Murder off their first album too. Accept, I like their Restless and Wild album over Balls to the Wall. Fast as a Shark would've been my choice. :cool: They did good with Saxon, Denim and Leather, although Wheels of Steel would fit nicely in there too. :yes:

Saw
Aug 22nd, 07, 8:23 AM
Derrick, I'm with you when it comes to buying the actual CD/box set or whatever. I bought 4 CDs not too long ago and blew over $60 on them, but the first thing I did was open the tray booklets. On the other hand, if I was 16 I would not have blown $60 on CDs if I could have downloaded them and spent the $60 on gas.

Adam Loose
Aug 22nd, 07, 9:31 AM
Anyone of you people here listen to Down?
Well,I'm a huge Down fan,and the new and 3rd album is being released Sept 25th '07.I can't wait!!!

joeyv69ragtop
Aug 22nd, 07, 9:52 AM
Well,I'm a huge Down fan,and the new and 3rd album is being released Sept 25th '07.I can't wait!!!

I catch them now and then on www.chronixradio.com (http://www.chronixradio.com) I listen to their station chronix aggression, but they have chronix metal and one other I haven't listened to yet. It's free to register there and with a free registration you can request 2 songs an hour. I've noticed a trend that the CD's I buy are the artists I hear on their station.

Saw
Aug 22nd, 07, 5:32 PM

Yep. I'm waiting for their next pop-up show in NOLA, hopefully after their latest set of fall dates. I've been to the last two here in town. Hometown shows rule. I live walking distance from the bar that (standby for shameless name drop) Pepper owns. Had a Coors Light with him there one time.:beers: Down rules. Eyehategod and Soilent Green are also great NOLA bands.

bntyhntr00
Aug 22nd, 07, 5:55 PM
Derrick, I'm with you when it comes to buying the actual CD/box set or whatever. I bought 4 CDs not too long ago and blew over $60 on them, but the first thing I did was open the tray booklets. On the other hand, if I was 16 I would not have blown $60 on CDs if I could have downloaded them and spent the $60 on gas.

well you probably still spent 60 on gas drivin to get the CD's lol

MEJ1990TM
Aug 23rd, 07, 2:19 AM
Well I am a recently converted ,two years, rap listener. I went from Metal to rap and now im back to Metal again. But now im starting to drift off into the classic stuff. Like The Doors, Cream, and a bunch of other stuff from that era. Sorry Im really not familiar with a lot of band names from back then yet.

Here I am rambling. What I meant to say was that I think System has a few good songs out but I am not a real big listener. In fact Im not much of a big fan of the new metal stuff. A few songs here and there are all right, but I think I'll stick to my early 90's and back. :yes:

novaderrik
Aug 23rd, 07, 3:35 AM
you know, you don't have to like either metal or rap. you can like both. hell, even country is allowed.
i like a little of everything- well, mostly metal, but also southern rock, and yes, even a little country. the only rap i tend to like is like the stuff Anthrax did- "I'm the Man" and "Bring the Noise" (with Public Enemy). the country i like is what the country stars of today only wish they could be- you know, old Skynyrd and what not. yeah, they are considered "southern rock", but they are more country than rock most of the time. but it's real, and i can relate to it.
my favorite band is Metallica- but my favorite versions of their songs tend to be the live versions, and all the stuff on S&M with the orchestra is about as good as it gets.
lately, tho, i've been on a Cinderella kick. i've always liked them, but i can actually appreciate them more today than i did back when "Shake me" and "Nobodies Fool" were all over MTV. i never realized how much they were mocking the "big hair and spandex" stereotypes in the 80's...
but if you want to hear a good song, seek out "32 flavors" by Sacred Reich..

MEJ1990TM
Aug 23rd, 07, 5:06 AM
I do still like both. But the majority of my listening has kind of shifted. The Doors are pretty much my main music right now. I guess being around my dad it was only a matter of time. :D

Right now you will either find Clapton or Doors in the CD player. But you will hear almost all Metallica from the axe. :yes:

Speaking of that the guys at guitar center are probably getting a little tired. I've gone in the past three days to play the Explorer. I'm not sure how many times I've played Jump in the Fire and Master of Puppets but I'm sure its a few. :D

I can actually play quite a few songs but I want to get Master of Puppets, Creeping Death, and Seek and Destroy down real well. Seek and Destroy is pretty much taken care of. I got MOP up to the middle clean part, although I can play the mid solo. And I got all of Creeping Death except for the chorus, which should be pretty easy.

The rap I listen to is pretty much the same story with the metal. Overall I don't like the new stuff, but there are a few mixed in I like. Mostly it's Tupac or Bone Thugs. But now that I am older and wiser ,I hope :D, I can see the hypocrisy in a lot of rap music. But oh well I still like the music.

Adam Loose
Aug 23rd, 07, 9:52 AM
Yep. I'm waiting for their next pop-up show in NOLA, hopefully after their latest set of fall dates. I've been to the last two here in town. Hometown shows rule. I live walking distance from the bar that (standby for shameless name drop) Pepper owns. Had a Coors Light with him there one time.:beers: Down rules. Eyehategod and Soilent Green are also great NOLA bands.

Very cool,I'd love to have beer with any of the guys in Down.I just saw them in April in Philly,killer show.I just bought Soilent Green's one cd(forgot which one),but I'm just getting into them.
You on the Down board?I am as "ty2219".

70 beater
Aug 23rd, 07, 8:08 PM
Wish they could have put something other than "Ace of Spades" for the Motorhead track.They put that on everything.Maybe something off of Another Perfect Day or Iron Fist.I've got "Lost Johnny" on a Motorhead album,not Hawkwind though.The 3rd and 4th discs look like they could be from Mtvs' playlist when they still had music.Better stuff out there.Didn't notice any Pantera,surely I just overlooked it.Maybe another Rose Tattoo track.

novaderrik
Aug 23rd, 07, 9:23 PM
i think they were looking for songs that "defined" a certain time period. they are ,after all, in chronological order. but there are a good number of songs i've never heard of.
when most people think of Motorhead, they think of Ace of Spades.
i wonder how many people they used to get the playlist, and how they went about it?.

70isfine
Aug 23rd, 07, 10:29 PM
Down is a great band. Peppers 'other' band Corrosion of Conformity has got to be one of the most under rated metal bands of all time. They are soooo good. Wiseblood is one of my all time favorite discs. Check it out, also Americas Volume dealer is a great disc too. Vote with a Bullet is a classic.
I'm pretty bored with rock/metal music these days. I've played all the old stuff to death. Not interested in to much new metal,although Breaking Benjamin is good and I like Chevelle. Not much else interests me. I ran the gammit of classic rock, hair metal, death metal, speed metal over the years. I hate rap,so i'm pretty much into country these days. It helps me relax. I used to listen to bands like Prong and Pantera to get me pumped up, now i just want to relax. :boring:

MEJ1990TM
Aug 24th, 07, 12:50 AM
Getting to old if all you want to do is relax. :p

I heard a live performance of Jump in the Fire once at school. It was called the early days of metal or something like that. I couldn't help but laugh at Hetfield and the voice he had. He squeeked a couple times. :D

I still love Metallica but its getting very difficult with them sueing everyone. :(

novaderrik
Aug 24th, 07, 1:21 AM
I still love Metallica but its getting very difficult with them sueing everyone. :(
well, if you spent all your life creating music and an image that seemingly everyone wants to copy and just flat out steal, wouldn't you want to do what you could to protect it?
every song they've ever covered has given the artist that originally wrote it not only a percentage of the sales from it, but also sold a few albums for the original artist. i don't think Metallica made any money off "Garage Days re-revisited" or "Garage, Inc." because every song on them was a cover tune. but all the artists that originally did those songs are going to be getting royalties for years because Metallica covered their songs.
why can't Metallica get compensation if their stuff is used improperly or just flat out stolen via free downloading?
every piece of music, every movie, and every video game and computer program that isn't "freeware" that i own- whether i wound up liking it or not- i paid for. it's the least i can do to show my appreciation for what it has given me.

MEJ1990TM
Aug 24th, 07, 1:29 AM
I understand the whole Napster thing. They were morally right with suing Napster. But my personal view is they are millionaires several times over all ready. What is the difference for a few $'s.

People like me ,who used to download, downloaded songs and then if I liked them I went out and bought the album. Almost every song I ever downloaded I have the album that it was on.

Nevermind I read the update. It was false.

70 beater
Aug 24th, 07, 6:44 PM
We ought to do a thread on what songs we would put on "our" box set.Maybe pick 10,I know everyone here could probably come up with a hundred or more,but that would be a hard read :D

MEJ1990TM
Aug 24th, 07, 9:32 PM
Mine would probably be almost all Metallica, with a few other songs in there. :D

Chris R
Aug 28th, 07, 1:03 AM
I took a look at the playlist (finally) and I think they could've done better with some of the stuff too. Metal Church, go with Metal Church,

My first thought was "Badlands". Sweet guitar riff for an intro IMO.

agreed- old Sepultura with Max. the newer stuff just doesn't do it for me.

I dont care for the new Sepultura myself either. But Max's band Soulfly is pretty good.

Fear Factory is still at the top of my list of bands that have grabbed me the last 10 years. Slipknot has turned me into a huge fan also. Havent missed a show of either one of thiers for several years now.