: I came across a 1956 Ford glovebox manual and want to share some of the info.

davis95
Aug 6th, 07, 7:28 PM
We have a couple of cars in the woods next to our place (a 1956 Ford 4-door and a 1967 Valiant 2-door). I got the owner's manual out of the Ford and was completely blown away by some of the information they supplied 50 years ago. The best points in the book to me were: Town and country radio, If you're in town and have a variety of stations to choose the "town" button picks the one with the best signal. The "country" button finds whatever station is available if you're driving in the country. I guess back then as long as you had any station on you were doing good. Another good point was to change the oil every 2,000 and oil filter every 4,000. I don't know anyone now days who doesn't change the filter everytime they change their oil. There is a section on towing and pushing other cars which is also a blast from the past. It states that "When pushing or being pushed by another car make sure the bumpers line up so they don't become locked". Isn't that great advice? Nowdays a car maker would be asking for a lawsuit by supplying info like that in the owner's manual. A few other points I found interesting were the 4-way power seat, choke, and a few sentences pertaining to "ash receptacles". I guess back then smoking was one of the hippest things to do and having good ash trays was probably a selling point. well, back to 2007 now. :)

novaderrik
Aug 6th, 07, 10:40 PM
wow.. so you've never read the owner's manual from an old car before?
the manual in my 84 regal T Type pretty much has all the same info as you posted from the 56 Ford. hell, i think the manual in the '02 Chev 2500HD i had for a few months had most of that info in it, too.
well, maybe not the radio stuff.. but i guess the "seek" and "scan" buttons pretty much cover the "town and country" stuff.

jpete
Aug 6th, 07, 10:51 PM
The manual for an early 70's Olds I looked at had oil changes at 5000 miles with filter changes every other oil change. I never much believed the 3000 mile "gospel" myslef. I change the oil in the F150 twice a year, whether it needs it or not! :D 164k miles can't be wrong!

davis95
Aug 6th, 07, 10:52 PM
wow.. so you've never read the owner's manual from an old car before?
the manual in my 84 regal T Type pretty much has all the same info as you posted from the 56 Ford. hell, i think the manual in the '02 Chev 2500HD i had for a few months had most of that info in it, too.
well, maybe not the radio stuff.. but i guess the "seek" and "scan" buttons pretty much cover the "town and country" stuff.

I seriously doubt you'll find a "push and pull" section in any 84 manual. ABS plastic bumpers really aren't very pushing and pulling friendly!:D

Derek69SS
Aug 6th, 07, 11:30 PM
My reprinted Model T service manual recommends cleaning all mechanical parts with gasoline for inspection upon disassembly. :D

novaderrik
Aug 6th, 07, 11:35 PM
I seriously doubt you'll find a "push and pull" section in any 84 manual. ABS plastic bumpers really aren't very pushing and pulling friendly!:D
my Regal has steel bumpers over an aluminum frame, with the steel shock absorber things mounting them to the frame.

davis95
Aug 6th, 07, 11:40 PM
my Regal has steel bumpers over an aluminum frame, with the steel shock absorber things mounting them to the frame.

So it does have a "push and pull" section? I'd like to see that.

novaderrik
Aug 7th, 07, 1:06 AM
nope.. nothing about pushing or pulling, but it does say how to tow with it ,and how to tow it.