Front brake hose install...do you do it this way?? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Front brake hose install...do you do it this way??

dpvoiceguy
Jul 26th, 07, 9:41 AM
I yanked all of the braking components out of the front of my '71 from the master to the wheels in order to replace everything with new. I have the GM service manual which I read for this procedure and it stresses the importance of fitting the front brake hoses on the car with the wheels on the ground for the purposes of getting proper hose alignment so that it won't twist, kink, etc. Obviously the car is up on jackstands with all 4 wheels off and torn apart. Is this the way most people do it or do you simply install the hose with the car off the ground taking care not to introduce any twist to it while mounting? Thanks!

Dean
Jul 26th, 07, 9:47 AM
I just put them back like they were before

dpvoiceguy
Jul 26th, 07, 10:42 AM
I just put them back like they were before

OK...but let's just suppose that you weren't astute enough to read the book BEFORE removing the hoses and you don't know how they were in there? (translation...I'm a moron!) Now what?

Dean
Jul 26th, 07, 10:52 AM
Assuming that you have the correct hose, they're pretty hard to get on wrong but I suppose you could let the car down and double check to see if they look like they might stretch too tight.
I would think that with the vehicle jacked up that is as tight as they would ever be but you could turn the wheels from one extreme to the other and visually inspect them.

dpvoiceguy
Jul 26th, 07, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Dean. I was thinking the same thing. I figured that was the best I could do at this point. The hoses were ordered from the parts store as being for this car and they line up exactly to the old ones. I am confident I've got the right parts. I will simply take my time, turn it lock-to-lock, and look for any potential concerns.