'70 Frame Concern [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: '70 Frame Concern

SS468
Jun 18th, 07, 10:50 PM
I recently purchased a front end rebuild kit for my '70 SS and to prepare for the install I put the car up on ramps and jack stands. I jacked the back of the car up with a floor jack under the rear end and placed ramps under the rear tires. I then moved to the front and put the jack under the front crossmember and raised the car high enough to put jack stands under the frame rails just below the door hinge area.

I lowered the car down until the frame was just sitting on the jack stands and stopped to be sure the car was sitting safely on the stands. The next thing that happened has me worried.

Since I thought all of the weight was sitting on the stands I turned the jack handle and the front crossmember (and I guess the whole front clip) dropped about an inch (I didn't measure it) with the jack. I then tried jacking the car back up. I can jack up the crosmember a small distance before the frame rails lift off of the jack stands. I also noticed my doors are binding with the fenders and are sticking when I try to open them. The gaps between the doors and fenders have never been perfect but they are pretty much closed up now.

Is there an acceptable amount of flex in these frames or should I be worried my frame is getting weak? There is no visible structural rust in the frame. Are there any areas where these frames are known to have trouble? I can move the jack stands forward about 6", would that help?

I am SLOWLY trying to get this car back on the road after 10+ years and finding out I have a bad frame would pretty much stop the project.

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

honestjerry
Jun 18th, 07, 11:53 PM
every one I've ever had moves some. It might be a good idea to put the stands ahead of the wheel, you have an awful lot of weight hanging out front that doesn't normally sit that way, hence the flex. Just to be sure, look for cracks where the frame turns behind the front wheels, and also look for any rusty areas at the same place.

zeke67
Jun 18th, 07, 11:59 PM
I agree, there is always some flex with the stands located a good distance from the suspension points.

Chevy 70 SS vert
Jun 19th, 07, 12:34 AM
That's also why you must install/align the doors with all 4 wheels on the ground.

SS468
Jun 19th, 07, 12:39 AM
Thanks alot guys. You are putting me in my comfort zone. I will definately move ths jack stands forward tommorrow and check the frame closer for rust.

richr
Jun 19th, 07, 4:00 PM
This is usual - When ever I leave jack stands under those points I keep a small bottle jack on top of a few cut 2 x 6's under the cross member to take off some of the weight.

Rich