Holly carb 12R-10658B? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Holly carb 12R-10658B?

dauber65
May 25th, 07, 1:46 PM
Hey guys,
I bought an intake and a carb from a coworker for a good price. The carb is a chrome Holley double pumper that was off a hot rod show car. He said it ran great on the truck, but they changed the engine set up. The carb looks good, but I really have no idea what it is.
P/N 12R-10658B?
I have a fairly stock 350 set up. Is this going to work good for me?

Mike
May 25th, 07, 2:02 PM
What's the # on the choke horn ?

30-A rider
May 25th, 07, 2:07 PM
Hey guys,
I bought an intake and a carb from a coworker for a good price. The carb is a chrome Holley double pumper that was off a hot rod show car. He said it ran great on the truck, but they changed the engine set up. The carb looks good, but I really have no idea what it is.
P/N 12R-10658B?
I have a fairly stock 350 set up. Is this going to work good for me?

A double pumper is what you stated above and I gathering mechanical secondaries. On a fairly stock 350 Im assuming is primarily a street car, your throttle response and street manners will not be as good as a vacuum secondary carb. I would also guess it is most likely 750 CFM or larger being a DP.

dauber65
May 25th, 07, 2:19 PM
I didn't write down the horn number and right now I'm at work.
*shhh don't tell anyone* I didn't think the horn number really meant that much, but now that I have been reading some forums I see that it does.

Yes it has mechanical secondaries. I know they are not ideal for my car, but anything has to be getter than my quad that I have that has a broken choke and advances.

dauber65
May 25th, 07, 2:21 PM
It is mostly a street car, but it is a toy, not a daily driver. So I'm willing to give up a few things in the name of power. It still has the stock cam. I plan on changing that in the next month or so to something mild.

Tom Mobley
May 25th, 07, 2:27 PM
not necessarily. if you have a mostly stock 350 what you need is a vacuum secondary 600, not a 750DP. It'll run bad and get horrible gas mileage. Putting a 750DP on a stock or near stock 350 is one of the biggest classical mistakes in rodding.

Sell it, but a 600 or 650 Vac secondary. Or, just buy a quality rebuilt Q-Jet, which would be your best bet. NAPA or a Holley brand rebuilt, many AutoZone stores have these. Are you aware of the many hassles around linkage, vacuum lines, adapters, spacers, fuel lines, etc there are around going from a Q-jet to a Holley or other performance carb?

dauber65
May 25th, 07, 2:31 PM
Well I still don't know if it is a 750. He was thinking it was a 600. That was my main goal of starting this thread was to find out what Holley carb this really is. I think it is a 650 from digging around on the net. He gave me everything to swap it over because it was on a 350 in his hot rod truck. I've got the spacers and fuel lines (the carb is on the performer intake).

dauber65
May 25th, 07, 3:15 PM
Here is that research I found:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13868

30-A rider
May 25th, 07, 4:27 PM
Well I still don't know if it is a 750. He was thinking it was a 600. That was my main goal of starting this thread was to find out what Holley carb this really is. I think it is a 650 from digging around on the net. He gave me everything to swap it over because it was on a 350 in his hot rod truck. I've got the spacers and fuel lines (the carb is on the performer intake).

Im no Holley expert but a double pump 600...If there are any very few and chance sof you having one is slim. Id bet its a 750 or larger. Mr. Mobley there gave you the best advice. Sell the intak and carn and you will get a good buck for it. Then Id purchase a GM or Edelbrock or summit brand dual plane idel to 5500 aluminum intake and right now I think Summit has Quadrajet carbs on sale right now. Quadrajet is very underestimated carb for street strip performance and you typically have about 750 CFM to grow into that is very responsive on the street. JMO.

dauber65
May 25th, 07, 5:06 PM
Well I have e-mailed Holley and I will let them tell me the exact numbers. I do agree anything over 650 is too much for me. I will sell it back to my coworker or dump it on e-bay. Too bad if it is though. It looks really nice. I just thought maybe someone on this forum has had experience with this p/n and knew what is was.
Looks similar to this:
http://www.holley.com/data/products/pictures/largeStreetAvengerNewShot.jpg
Holley does sell 600 double pumpers:
http://www.holley.com/types/Double%20Pumpers.asp

Tom Mobley
May 25th, 07, 9:41 PM
get the list number. Holley has no idea what you have. that number you posted is like a casting number, it may have been used on many different carbs with slightly different machining.

30-A rider
May 26th, 07, 9:54 AM
Wait! I doubt they will be the correct parts fopr what you are gonna do but dont sell anything back until you know exactly what it is you have!

dauber65
May 27th, 07, 11:54 AM
What is the list number? Is that the number off the horn?

Mike
May 27th, 07, 12:12 PM
Yes.

zeke67
May 27th, 07, 1:46 PM
If it looks like the carb in the link you posted, then it is a vac secondary. See the black plastic vac can behind the choke dial? Does yours have that?

dauber65
May 27th, 07, 3:59 PM
Mine is mechanical. It is not identical to that one. I not home right now, but I'll get the horn number and post it on here as soon as I can. Thanks for the help guys. I know I'm not holding up on my end of the deal right now!

dauber65
May 29th, 07, 9:44 AM
I've got the number off the horn finally!
R84014

I think I've got it. Seems to be a 650!!!
https://www.holley.com/data/Catalogs/Holley/132.pdf