a 70 LS6 with a '72 dash! [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: a 70 LS6 with a '72 dash!

dreis454
May 5th, 07, 8:57 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Chevelle-SS-454-1970-CHEVELLE-SS-454-RUST-FREE-2-OWNER-AZ-CAR-4-SPD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6164QQihZ012QQitemZ 220109462421QQrdZ1

where to start!?
'72 dash for one & I'm not sure why, but the wheels look off to me.........tag, your IT:yes:

TH396
May 5th, 07, 9:13 AM
Don't you love those chromed rear marker bezels????? Remindes me of the Super Chevy mags. from the '80's! Just curious Dan..... what makes the dash look like it's out of a '72? I don't see the seat belt warning light? I know the gauges are suppose to be green in 70, white in '71/'72 but I can't see that in the picture either.

dreis454
May 5th, 07, 9:16 AM
The S/B light is there next to the cig. lighter.:yes:
You can see it in the pic from the pass side.:yes:

AlsChevelle
May 5th, 07, 9:48 AM
The S/B light is there next to the cig. lighter.:yes:
You can see it in the pic from the pass side.:yes:

I see it.

TH396
May 5th, 07, 10:08 AM
Yea.... I see it now. I must have been looking at the photo crosseyed or something earlier?! The wheels do look off or something. I think the area between the spokes is to light.... should have a darker paint there.

mmurphy77
May 5th, 07, 11:21 AM
Wheels are definately not the right color and TOO much metalflake in the paint and of course the '72 dash. But my favorite is the driver's side front sway bar bracket being held on by only one bolt!

tjchev
May 5th, 07, 11:28 AM
NO smog manifolds NO L code nice car but I don't trust it

70ChevelleRagtop
May 5th, 07, 11:44 AM
Good catch on the front sway bar! In the photos, it has the appearance they are trying to hide the S/B light. Tough to see unless you are specifcally looking for it.

I would be very cautious about this car!

dirtrocker
May 5th, 07, 5:48 PM
Surely a 72 MONTE dash..........easy to find. Gotta love the classic car dealerships.

Not a bad car, but no 26k

1970SS502
May 5th, 07, 6:00 PM
They've been trying to sell that car since March. I emailed them back then asking how it was "IMPOSSIBLE FOR THIS CAR TO BE A MALIBU CLONED INTO A SS" since we all know that if ya wanna make a non documented "SS" it isn't that hard.

Their answer:

Yep, no reply.

rjt427
May 5th, 07, 6:50 PM
I was thinking of bidding on this car,but something tells me to stay away.What does s/b light mean....also I think the mufflers are the wrong ones.

furball8994
May 5th, 07, 7:41 PM
Doesn't have the deep groove pulley either.

tireburner396
May 5th, 07, 8:43 PM
s/b means seat belt warning light

Dave Birdwell
May 5th, 07, 8:49 PM
NO smog manifolds NO L code nice car but I don't trust it
Arlington built cars would not have the "L" on the tag, only Kansas cars.

Surely a 72 MONTE dash..........easy to find. Gotta love the classic car dealerships.

Not a bad car, but no 26k
Not a Monte Carlo dash, there are no holes or slots where the woodgrain would've went.

I was thinking of bidding on this car,but something tells me to stay away.What does s/b light mean....also I think the mufflers are the wrong ones.
s/b=seat belt light. Cars built after Jan 1 had a manditory fasten seat belt light.

Wrong: Master cylinder, fuel line, battery and cables, alternator upper bracket. No: TCS system, smog, or firewall wiring gutter.

Best off if it is treated as a clone.

Junkyard Dawg
May 5th, 07, 10:51 PM
My favorite quote:

WE DO NOT HAVE ANY PAPERWORK ON THIS CAR TO PROVE IT WAS AN LS6, BUT WE WILL GUARANTEE THIS TO BE A TRUE BIG BLOCK ORIGINAL SUPER SPORT FROM THE FACTORY.***** IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THIS CAR TO BE A MALIBU CLONED INTO A SS AND WE WILL STAND BEHIND THAT IT WAS BUILT FROM THE FACTORY AS A TRUE SUPER SPORT.

Ok, the build sheet would be the paper work that would tell you if it were a true SS, and would also tell you what engine it came with from the factory.

rjt427
May 5th, 07, 11:05 PM
So with all things wrong with it, what do you think a fair price is for car.

BACK FROM THE DEAD
May 5th, 07, 11:13 PM
i think they may have spent 26 grand on black Krylon!

BIGBLOCK70Z
May 6th, 07, 8:43 AM
SOME ONE EMAIL THEM AND TELL THEM TO GET THE BUILD SHEET OUT FROM UNDER THE TAR PAPER DRIVERS SIDE UNDER PEDALS, IT IS STILL THERE AND IN GOOD CONDITION SINCE IT IS AN ARIZONA CAR ALL ITS LIFE. WITH NO RUST. SO THE BUILD SHEET HAS TO BE THERE. I DOUBT THAT THEY PULLED THE TAR PAPER UP WHEN THEY PUT CARPET IN IT CUZ IT IS AN ARIZONA CAR ITS HOLE LIFE WITH NO RUST. I DID NOTICE THE ANTI ROLL BAR BRACKET. BUT MISSED THE S/B WARNING LIGHT. AND DID NOTICE THE DASH BEZEL. THE ONLY CHROME OR SILVER PAINT IS AROUND THE THREE BIG HOLES. OH YEAH I WONDER WHAT THE DEALER SALE PRICE WAS. LS6 WOULD BE OVER 4100.00 BUCKEROOSKEYS. DID YOU GUYS EVEN NOTICE THE VIN #'S LOOK AGAIN, THE 13637 PART ARE A LITTLE CROOKED:yes: THESE ARE NOT STAMPED BY HAND THEY ARE FED INTO A MACHINE.:D :thumbsup:

Junkyard Dawg
May 6th, 07, 10:23 AM
I sent in an email asking "If you don't know if it's an LS6 or not, then how are you even sure if it's a true SS? ....as the buildsheet is what tells you on both....."

His response:
IF YOU ARE TRUELY INTERESTED IN THIS CAR, PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL AND I WILL EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS WITHOUT A DOUBT A REAL SS CAR. (RANDY) 480-894-4004

Elree Colby
May 6th, 07, 11:15 AM
There's a lot of value in original and rust free sheetmetal. But to spend that kind of money a build sheet to backup the LS6 claim is a must. Otherwise it's a clone with a used truck 454 and half fast restoration. Not worth $30.000.

Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell
Not a Monte Carlo dash, there are no holes or slots where the woodgrain would've went.

The dash looks cheese with the krylon gloss black finish. However it likely is a Monte dash. The 72 Monte dash w/seat belt warning didn't have holes like the 70/71. There are a couple slots that have bend tabs, one or two on the right side of the heat control and one on the left side of the LH dash vent opening. The bend tabs and an adhesive, that is easily removed, held the woodgrained insert in place.

BIGBLOCK70Z
May 6th, 07, 1:01 PM
no body mentioned the vin being crooked. seems like if it were real that the guy they got it from knows the guy he got it from there should be some paperwork of some kind. i wonder were the build sheet is. QUESTION. i have my dash tore apart and it looks like it is chrome plated all over then painted. also my uncle melted a round hole in the dash for an oil pressure guage. should i replace the dash or leave the original alone and just put another oil pressure guage back in the hole about 2". mine on ther other hand is orig.

Junkyard Dawg
May 6th, 07, 2:14 PM
Just out of curiosity what makes you guys think the dash face is/was sprayed with Krylon? Don't the Monte wood grain dashes have a smoothness to them? And don't the Chevelle dashes have a texture to the dash face?

I can see from an angle the dash face looks darker which could indicate a spray job, but up front I see some texture......:confused:

Please debate...

Jim Mac
May 6th, 07, 3:12 PM
Monte woodgrain is just a insert, once you remove the insert its grained like other dashes. Jim

depley
May 6th, 07, 5:51 PM
take a good look at the wheel well trim on the passenger's side rear.........check that nice quality fit there.

Chevy 70 SS vert
May 6th, 07, 6:19 PM
The seller of this car sure buys alot of Mopar parts on Ebay as well! He also sold a $248,000 Shelby on Ebay.

Elree Colby
May 6th, 07, 7:12 PM
Just out of curiosity what makes you guys think the dash face is/was sprayed with Krylon? Don't the Monte wood grain dashes have a smoothness to them? And don't the Chevelle dashes have a texture to the dash face?

I can see from an angle the dash face looks darker which could indicate a spray job, but up front I see some texture......:confused:

Please debate...

In this pic (http://photos.ebizautos.com/5383/1316310_37.jpg) you can see that it is a gloss finish. Just guessing it's a krylon finish but most likely paint without the flex agent needed for a lasting finish on plastic. The correct finish should be a semi gloss. SEM Landau black is a good match to the factory finish.

drptop70ss
May 7th, 07, 9:26 AM
Looks like a small block steering column as well.

Bowtie-72
May 7th, 07, 10:49 AM
Overdetailed dash. Painted letters for wiper switch, weren't they not painted?

And, though people will poo-poo everyone here for picking apart a car someone is selling, it has really helped me when looking at cars to help determine correctness/originality. Plus, I see areas other people have problems with when they are doing a car, and what I should look for with mine.

mr 4 speed
May 7th, 07, 10:57 AM
I emailed the seller awhile back..nothing but a 1978 p/u motor with 781's and it still has the p/u truck exhaust manifolds on it!

Basically a nice car that is banking on speculation.

About a 20-22K car maybe a little less.

Dave Birdwell
May 7th, 07, 12:37 PM
Elree- THanks for that info on the dashes. It just goes to show, you learn something new every day.

BIGBLOCK70Z
May 7th, 07, 9:31 PM
Looks like a small block steering column as well.HUH? now that is a new one i havn't herd of.

jloshotz
May 7th, 07, 11:00 PM
HUH? now that is a new one i havn't herd of.

Looks like the rag joint may be pemanently attached to the intermediate shaft of the column. All i want to know, is why whoever painted the car went through the extra trouble to make sure none of that body color got on the quarter marker bezels....Yuck.

Jim Mac
May 8th, 07, 12:29 AM
Just a question, On a car like this do you think it would have been better to represent it as a SS clone? And just let the car sell itself? You would think with more and more people learning to do a little research, claiming it as a original LS6 car and pricing it so cheap would make people more cautious. Advertising it as a SS 454 clone, you might get someone that wanted a nice chevelle that looked like a SS and didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to build it themself. And being in phoenix you'd think they would build a 454 4speed car with AC. and represent it as a LS5 clone. Jim

BIGBLOCK70Z
May 8th, 07, 1:29 AM
it seems to reason that if they are in this to make money then the ls6 part was a good idea. we know that they are through the roof. lets say a guy just got some money and he has no idea of what he is looking for but knows what he wants. and then he see's the ls6 that he can afford then he buys it not knowing and then he is happy until someone bust his bubble. that is what is bad about someone misrepresenting a car. if it is then it is. but if its not then its not. it is a shame that this happens. but thats life. i am going outside and looking at my column right now. will let you know in a minute about the steering shaft.

BIGBLOCK70Z
May 8th, 07, 1:35 AM
ok i just looked at the end of the column that hooks to the ragjoint has a bolt and splines it comes off.:D

mattiepschevelle
May 8th, 07, 1:38 AM
I like the cracking paint in the window gutter, and the messed up left hood hinge, why is the hood like that? and i may be wrong but doesn't the ls6 have aluminum intake and chrome valve covers......

BIGBLOCK70Z
May 8th, 07, 1:42 AM
i think that they are just saying that it is an ls6 car from the factory. i just looked at their column and it looks to me that it is the same as mine it clamps on at the end of the collumn. but the dash is wrong and cuz it has seatbelt light, and the only chrome paint on my dash is just the speedo and tach