Used rings in a sbc??? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Used rings in a sbc???

jester1
Apr 9th, 07, 3:07 PM
Just curious if you were to pull a motor apart with say 2000miles, rehone the bore and put the pistons and rings back in do you think they will reseat again or not?

Whiskey
Apr 9th, 07, 3:13 PM
Just curious but if you put the pistons back in the same holes then all should be fine without honing. Unless you took it apart and found a prob with a cylinder.

troposcuba
Apr 9th, 07, 3:16 PM
Just curious if you were to pull a motor apart with say 2000miles, rehone the bore and put the pistons and rings back in do you think they will reseat again or not?
rings are cheap. why not just go to the small trouble of replacing them since you already have it apart?

jester1
Apr 9th, 07, 3:26 PM
I found two cylinders scored slightly. I didnt want to blow $130 on a new set of rings concidering it would be a temp. engine. However i dont want to rip it apart because the rings dont seat. Just a little anxious to put it together.

ddeennis
Apr 9th, 07, 4:16 PM
my current 468 i pulled the pistons out and cleaned the block ( cam died and left metal everywhere) and put my pistons and rings back in the same hole.

sealing fine so far.

jester1
Apr 9th, 07, 4:31 PM
thanks,
two 80 Z's me too
Whats the 468 run?

ddeennis
Apr 9th, 07, 4:45 PM
so far its running 12.50@ 111 mph w/ stock suspension and air shocks out back and 245/60-15 uniroyals, i just got this 468 combo together about 3 weeks ago and have two passes down the track with it.

11.8 to 1 motor on 91 octane fuel.

sure has been fun to drive.

heres a rear pic of it at the drags.

http://www.midamericadragway.net/inc/iview/561?idx=4&p=1071

jester1
Apr 9th, 07, 5:28 PM
so far its running 12.50@ 111 mph w/ stock suspension and air shocks out back and 245/60-15 uniroyals, i just got this 468 combo together about 3 weeks ago and have two passes down the track with it.

11.8 to 1 motor on 91 octane fuel.

sure has been fun to drive.

heres a rear pic of it at the drags.

http://www.midamericadragway.net/inc/iview/561?idx=4&p=1071
You should check out Nastyz28.com when you get a chance. great bunch of guys there. Lots of cool Zeds

ddeennis
Apr 9th, 07, 6:35 PM
ya i visit there often,under same name, but i sure like the bbc information here.

540Hotrod
Apr 9th, 07, 10:28 PM
I can't even imagine putting them back in....especially if you found two scored cylinders. Don't you figure those rings ran up and down over all those scratch marks? What do you figured scored them in the first place?

Call Competition Products and get some cheap Howards rings (repackaged Mahle's). They work great.

JIM

kirkwoodken
Apr 10th, 07, 12:48 AM
Use new rings!!!!!! At least you will have 6 cylinders running at their best.

I tried it once with a 327 made out of junk parts laying around the garage. Nasty crank, used inserts and rings, old 461's, knurled 11:1 pistons to fit a sloppy bore, don't remember the cam, but it was a Chevy solid, maybe 140. Did have Isky valve springs; couldn't skimp there. Eddy 4CB, 780 Holley. Had headers. 4 speed, 4.56. Ran 13.1, 104 in my old 68 Camaro. As much exhaust came out of the breather pipe as it did the headers. Had a VERY soggy bottom end; lots of blowby. To put this in perspective, a stock, tuned, '68 Z28, with headers, and 4.56 or 4.88 gears would run mid 12's.