Accel Motor Oil at Walmart. [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Accel Motor Oil at Walmart.

pdq67
Dec 26th, 06, 4:03 PM
I saw where one of our Walmart S/C's is selling Accel motor oil SF Grade for 1988 and older vehicles for $1.29/quart!!

I figure it has plenty of zinc in it!!

pdq67

Aaron
Dec 26th, 06, 4:08 PM
I'm going out to check on that Paul.

SWHEATON
Dec 26th, 06, 4:49 PM
I would not figure on it even though Accell states thier oil is for 1988 and down unless it says it's for non off road use like valvoline vr1 20-50 states.

This is because cars had cat converters way before 1988 and the ZDDP antiwear pkg in the older oils would clog them up too so why not before 1988,strange?

Also,Accell is not a large enough comp to be making oil on their own and its very likely that the Accell oil just a rebox of another larger oil companies std car motor oil made today without the ZDDP anti wear pkg.,most all of todays motor oil are void of the the ZDDP anti wear pkg.

It would be great if you were correct that Accell's oil had the ZDDP anti wear additives our flat tappet cams but intill they/Accell comfirms that you should not just assume its there and not use it IMHO.

Thats the reason why i took the time to contact Shell/Chevron/Valvoline to confirm which oils did & didnt have the ZDDP/Zinc/Moly in them and also to ask if the Reformulated for 2007 Shell & Chevron 15w-40 Diesel oils still had enough of the ZDDP anti wear pkg etc in it to still protect out cams/lifters which they confirmed as a yes . But i will be skeptical untill is see the refomulated #'s vs the pre-reformulated #'s for amont of anti wear chemicals in the oils.

So maybe you or someone els here can take the tourch and contact Accell on this one.

By the way what wt oil/s was offered by Accell when you saw it?

Scott

pdq67
Dec 26th, 06, 7:10 PM
I want to say either 10w40 or 20w40??

And it caught my eye b/c it's labeled SF so HAS to be of that formulation or they can get in BIG trouble b/c of the "Truth in Advertising" law.

And I figure that there aren't enough 1988 and older cars to even bother with ruining their cats b/c Ibet they are long ago ruined IF they are even still on the cars..

pdq67

Wooderson
Dec 26th, 06, 8:36 PM
The Accel oil I saw at Wal Mart was straight 30 non-detergent SA rated for motor vehicles made prior to 1930 :D . It just might be better than what is offered now with all the good stuff that's been taken out.

pdq67
Dec 26th, 06, 8:58 PM
Wrong bottle is all I gotta say!!

pdq67

Wooderson
Dec 27th, 06, 1:50 AM
No kidding on the SA rating and 1930 reference for the 30W.

novadude
Dec 27th, 06, 7:49 AM
SF does not mean that it HAS to have ZDDP. All it means is that they can get away with using cheaper basestocks that will oxidize and form sludge. :(

That is a low grade oil made with cheap basestock and likely a poor additive package. I'd never run it in my cars.

pdq67
Dec 27th, 06, 8:40 AM
I will check deeper into this at work today b/c I think I can find a site that gives the meaning to those ratings in the little circle.

Later.

pdq67

Keith Tedford
Dec 27th, 06, 8:49 AM
Here in Ontario, cars and trucks over twenty years old don't need emissions tests. It wouldn't matter if the cat. converter does clog up. Our '87 S-10 truck still passed the tests last year and had been using all those old oils for all these years. The converter is original. I don't see that the additives were all that much of a problem.

mr 4 speed
Dec 27th, 06, 9:00 AM
Cheapest oil I would run would either be Pep Boys brand (Pro Line) or the Wal Mart Super Tech (or whatever its called..its in the blue bottle)

pdq67
Dec 27th, 06, 10:05 PM
I know SF is obsolete, but I will bet a 6-pack of your favorite "Barley-Pop" to a donut hole that it has ALL sorts of zinc and calcium in it!!

Petrol Engines
Category Status Service
SM Current For all automotive engines presently in use. Introduced in the API service symbol in November 2004
SL Current For all automotive engines presently in use. Introduced in the API service symbol in 1998
SJ Still current but nearly obsolete For all automotive engines presently in use. Introduced in the API service symbol in 1996
SH Obsolete For model year 1996 and older engines.
SG Obsolete For model year 1993 and older engines.
SF Obsolete For model year 1988 and older engines.
SE Obsolete For model year 1979 and older engines.
SD Obsolete For model year 1971 and older engines.
SC Obsolete For model year 1967 and older engines.
SB Obsolete For older engines. Use this only when specifically recommended by the manufacturer.
SA Obsolete For much older engines with no performance requirement. Use this only when specifically recommended by the manufacturer.

pdq67

novaderrik
Dec 28th, 06, 2:39 AM
i don't know if i'd touch the el-cheapo oil, but the Shell Rotella T diesel oil has plenty of zinc and what not in it, and costs like $6 for a 4 quart jug at Wal mart. it's the only non synthetic oil that doesn't turn to sludge in my turbocharged Regal, so it must be ok stuff.
does anyone remember the recycled oil Wal Mart used to sell back in the early 90's for like $.75 a quart? that stuff was nasty.

Rmchevelle
Jun 1st, 10, 9:49 AM
removed by admin:confused:

So, I'm guessing with 3 posts to your username and all in the same thread that you signed up here just to slam this company? You Googled the name of the oil and I guess this is the only place you could find on the internet with a discussion about that oil? You needed to vent.

novaderrik
Jun 1st, 10, 1:08 PM
it might be an old thread, but at least it's an old pdq thread.

SWHEATON
Jun 1st, 10, 4:39 PM
This is old news,i did later test that walmart accell oil approx 3yr back and it had 800ppm zddp when stock mild cams need a minimum of 1200-1300ppm zddp for a normal /longer srv'c life and 800ppm doesnt cut it,esp when perf cams need a little more zddp (depending on cam's perf lvl-lobe design & spring rate being run) for proper/longest srv'c life.

Here ya go again,pick your poison/LOL!!!!

Scott
================================================== ========

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) OIL THAT'S GREAT FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE FLAT TAPPET CAM PROTECTION POST BREAKIN . THIS OIL IS ALSO GOOD FOR BREAKIN OF HIGH PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM'S WHEN USED WITH PROPER OIL ADDITIVE LIKE GM EOS OR LUCAS TB ZINC MENTIONED ABOVE.

SUMMIT'S NEW (SPECTRO RE-PKG) CONVENTIONAL HIGH PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM OIL WITH 1,800PPM ZDDP

LINK TO SPECTRO MOTORGUARD OIL FOR FT CAM/LIFTERS

http://goldenmotorguard.com/cart/index.php?main_page=products_all

* SUM-MGSAE30 (USE WITH OIL ADDITIVE LISTED ABOVE FOR BREAKIN BUT POST BREAKIN THIS OIL CAN BE USED ALONE WITH NO ADDITIVE TO PROTECT ANY HIGH PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM )

* SUM-MG10W40 (USE WITH OIL ADDITIVE LISTED ABOVE FOR BREAKIN BUT POST BREAKIN THIS OIL CAN BE USED ALONE WITH NO ADDITIVE TO PROTECT ANY HIGH PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM)

* SUM-MG20W50 (USE WITH OIL ADDITIVE LISTED ABOVE FOR BREAKIN BUT POST BREAKIN THIS OIL CAN BE USED ALONE WITH NO ADDITIVE TO PROTECT ANY HIGH PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM)

NOTE,THE ABOVE OIL IS ALSO AVAIL IN SEMI BLEND ,SEE SUMMITS SITE FOR DETAILS/PT#'S.

================================================== ===========================
5) ADDITIONAL OIL WITH PROPER ZDDP LVLS FOR FT CAM PROTECTION SOME AVAIL AT STORES WHERE NOTED BUT OTHERS ARE AVAIL ON PERSPECTIVE WEBSITES

* SPECTRO MOTORGUARD SERIES OIL SPECIFICALLY MFG'D FOR FT CAM'D MOTORS,SAME AS SUMMITS NEW HI PERF OIL FOR FT CAM'D MOTORS.

* CEN-PE-CO

* JOE GIBBS HOT ROD OIL

* MOTOR HEAD HI " Z " OIL

* CLASSIC CAR OIL

* VALVOLINES VR1 RACE OIL (AVAIL AT MOST AUTOZONE-AUTO STORES IN GENERAL) (HAS PROPER DETERGENT LVL FOR STREET)

* CHEVRON DELO LE 15W-40 (AVAIL AT MOST STORES/HAS ENOUGH ZINC/PHOS/ZDDP FOR STOCK TO MODERATE LVL PERF CAMS)

* CAM2 RACE OIL

* REDLINE RACE OIL (HAS LOWER DET LVL SO NEEDS MORE FREQUENT OIL CHANGE FOR STREET USE)

* ROYAL PURPLE RACE OIL (CK ZDDP LVL BEFORE BUYING,NOT ALL GRADES HAVE AMPLE ZDDP)

* BRAD PENN RACE OIL

* PENNZOIL 25W-50 GT RACE OIL
=============================================

6)OIL ADDITIVES TO BE USED WITH SM RATED MOTORS OIL NOT HAVING ENOUGH ZDDP WHEN RUNNING FT CAMS. THEY AVAIL ON THIER PERSPECTIVE SITES AND SOME STORES LIKE SUMMIT/JEGS/EASTWOOD

* ZDDPLUS

* CAMSHIELD

* MOTOR HI " Z " ZINC ADDITIVE
=============================================

(7)THESE BELOW MENTIONED CAM/LIFTER BREAKIN ADDITIVES CAN BE USED IN A PINCH ALONG WITH SM RATED OIL WITH LOW ZDDP LVL,PT #'S ARE LISTED ABOVE IN THIS NOTE UNDER #2 OIL ADDITIVES FOR FT CAM BREAKIN

* GM EOS

* CRANE SUPERLUBE BREAKIN CONCENTRATE

* LUCAS TB ZINC BREAKIN LUBE