COPO Stands for what? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: COPO Stands for what?

1968Chevelle300Deluxe
Oct 22nd, 06, 12:46 PM
Out of all my years of seeing and having chevelles i have wondered what COPO really stands for i ask people at car shows and they are wondering what it means to if somebody can help me out that would be great thanks.

djw
Oct 22nd, 06, 1:51 PM
Central Office Production Order ???

Keith Tedford
Oct 22nd, 06, 1:53 PM
Near the front of my GM parts catalogue it says Central Office Production Order. There is even a separate COPO catalogue, mostly truck stuff, but there is no mention of the COPO cars at all. Strange. COPO was used mostly for truck and fleet stuff such as odd ball taxi or police combinations. GM already had the L72 427 so it was no big deal for them to put it in a Chevelle or Camaro. Same went for the LT1 for the 1970 Novas. Most all of the car stuff was off the shelf.
Danny's el Camino has a real COPO look to it.

joe58
Oct 22nd, 06, 7:56 PM
It is easy to get confused with the term “COPO” because many magazines and web sites use the term “COPO Chevelle” to mean a factory built 427 425hp Chevelle but there could be all kinds of non high performance Chevelles with a COPO option. As Keith said there were many COPO options so the term “COPO” should be used with its code number and description to tell what the option is.
COPO just means Central Office Production Order, which is a way to order an option that could not be ordered by RPO (Regular Production Order). For example a Chevelle with the option RPO L78 is a 396 375hp engine which you could have ordered through the normal dealer process but the option COPO 9562 is a 427 425hp high performance Chevelle that needed a special order process and approval to build. There were COPO option code numbers for all kinds of equipment for special vehicle builds. I have seen a police car build sheet that had a COPO code for a special alternator and wire harness. Most COPO options were not for high performance vehicles but that is what gets all the attention.

djw
Oct 23rd, 06, 3:33 PM
....Danny's el Camino has a real COPO look to it.

:thumbsup: Thank you, sir! That was the original intention. Plus, since they never made a COPO elky, I couldn't be accused of trying to make a "clone" of one. ;)

Here it is at CB04 with ralleys, no 454 emblems, etc.

http://www.djwool.com/phaseiv/phaseiv11.jpg

Keith Tedford
Oct 23rd, 06, 6:55 PM
We're going with the silver paint and COPO look with our el Camino as well. The blacked out grille and tail end, along with the SS hood and wheels just give such a nice clean look. The red sure looks great.

1968Chevelle300Deluxe
Oct 27th, 06, 8:44 PM
Thank you!

von
Oct 28th, 06, 7:40 AM
You mean you couldn't "special order" a 427 hemi with aluminum heads in a '69 Chevelle? A guy at a cruise told me you could.:D

Resq302
Oct 29th, 06, 11:44 AM
I think you mean 426. lol

Doug Garland
Oct 29th, 06, 7:41 PM
:thumbsup: Thank you, sir! That was the original intention. Plus, since they never made a COPO elky, I couldn't be accused of trying to make a "clone" of one. ;)

http://www.djwool.com/phaseiv/phaseiv11.jpg

Actually , I'm sure they made several. Any special paint order, or special engine had to go through the channels, and ended up in C.O.P.O for approval. My dad has a 1986 4x4 truck , that is a C.O.P.O, as it was ordered in a special color.

ChevyMopar
Oct 30th, 06, 4:49 AM
I hope he meant a 426 Hemi and I also hope he meant in a 69 Charger :P

djw
Oct 30th, 06, 8:54 AM
Actually , I'm sure they made several. Any special paint order, or special engine had to go through the channels, and ended up in C.O.P.O for approval.........

You're exactly right, Doug. Should have said "an elky with the COPO 9562 package". ;)

wannarun70
Nov 8th, 06, 4:41 PM
How Would It Read On Your Build Sheet Or Cowl Tag As A Copo. I Have A #0382 In The Lower Right Corner Of My Cowl Tag And It Is On My Build Sheet In The Upper Right Hand Corner. No One Seems To Know What It Means. Someone Once Told Me That It Meant Some Type Of Special Order. Does Anyone Know Thanks

joe58
Nov 8th, 06, 5:33 PM
There were many COPO option code numbers (not all high perf options) that would appear on the build sheet with the other options.
If you can post a picture of your build sheet maybe some on here can help.

Keith Tedford
Nov 8th, 06, 7:03 PM
A COPO Chevelle build sheet will show the MP or MQ engine and KQ 4.10 rearend. The COPO option code eg. 9566AA will show up in the lower area with the other options.

wannarun70
Nov 8th, 06, 10:35 PM
thanks for the info. any idea about the 0382 on cowl tag and build sheet???

wannarun70
Nov 8th, 06, 11:33 PM
ill try to post a picture thanks

wannarun70
Nov 11th, 06, 1:23 PM
Camera Is Not Working But Here Is How It Looks On Cowl Tag Body By Fisher 5 St70 13637 B 102876 Bdy Tr756 1919pnt 04c B 0382 The Number 0382 And 5 Is What I Dont Know Any Help??

djw
Nov 11th, 06, 3:42 PM
Post the question and info over in the Tag Team area. Bet someone that watches that area can help you.:thumbsup:

BIGBLOCK70Z
Nov 13th, 06, 9:20 PM
Central Office Production Order ???I HAVE A 70 LS6 2DR IT IS A COPO STRIPE DELETE NO HOOD PINS DOOR PANELS HAVE MALIBU EMBLEMS AND IT IS CODE 53 NUGGET/CAMARO GOLD WHICH WAS NOT A CHEVELLE COLOR. THAT TOOK SOME DOOOOING. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN IN MY FAMILY SINCE IT WAS DROVE OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR.:D I'M RICH FILTHY STINKING RICH

BIGBLOCK70Z
Nov 13th, 06, 9:26 PM
You're exactly right, Doug. Should have said "an elky with the COPO 9562 package". ;)YOU SEEM TO KNOW ALOT, SO HELP ME IF YOU CAN. WHAT IS THE NUMBER FOR STRIPE DELETE AND NOT A CHEVELLE COLOR. THANKS FOR THE HELP. OH YEAH, A DIVORCE IN 1973 LOST ALL THE IMPORTANT PAPERWORK:sad: BUT I STILL HAVE THE CAR WITH ALL THE ORIGINAL PARTS AND NUMBERS:D

chevydog66
Nov 13th, 06, 11:53 PM
I'm just curious, I have never laid eyes on a real COPO car in real life, that I can remember. Would a real COPO car have the word COPO on the build sheet?

djw
Nov 14th, 06, 11:29 AM
Go to this website for lots of good COPO info.

http://www.copo.com/

Brambles
Dec 10th, 06, 8:15 PM
Go to this website for lots of good COPO info.

http://www.copo.com/

They no longer exist!!

I'm curious about the COPO designation, is there any tags on the car that would specify COPO instead of RPO.

The reason I'm asking, some of you may have read in the engine forum that I am currently looking at a car that the owner says is a Factory LT-1 1970 chevelle. Apparently these arn't suppose to exist, I'm in the process of getting to the bottom of this mystery

djw
Dec 10th, 06, 8:22 PM
Check around http://www.yenko.net/ . Might find the info you need there. They also have a message board section with lot's of COPO owners around.

alss
Dec 10th, 06, 11:48 PM
They no longer exist!!

I'm curious about the COPO designation, is there any tags on the car that would specify COPO instead of RPO.

The reason I'm asking, some of you may have read in the engine forum that I am currently looking at a car that the owner says is a Factory LT-1 1970 chevelle. Apparently these arn't suppose to exist, I'm in the process of getting to the bottom of this mystery

No COPO on the buildsheet just numbers..do you have a pic of the trim tag...I may be able to help.

ALbert

Brambles
Dec 11th, 06, 2:02 AM
No COPO on the buildsheet just numbers..do you have a pic of the trim tag...I may be able to help.

ALbert

No picture of the trim tag but I'll go talk to the guy again and see if I can get a solid story about the car, maybe if I can snap a picture of the trim tag then I will.

joe58
Dec 11th, 06, 8:07 AM
Does this car have SS emblems on it or 12 bolt rear or disk brakes?

Brambles
Dec 11th, 06, 11:05 AM
Does this car have SS emblems on it or 12 bolt rear or disk brakes?

No SS emblems, not sure about the 12 bolt, and the front brakes are drums

Keith Tedford
Dec 11th, 06, 11:18 AM
If that '70 "LT1 Chevelle" is Canadian, then the information can be had from GM for about $50. No mystery there. 1-905-644-5843. Call George Zapora. He enjoys documenting the rare stuff. Also check www.yenko.net

Brambles
Dec 12th, 06, 5:53 PM
Turns out the guy was a complete moron and is misrepresenting the car, he thought and still thinks the 300 hp engine is an LT-1.

Oh well

joe58
Dec 13th, 06, 11:40 AM
I had a feeling that would happen but was curious because I have heard of a few cars where people would buy 350 300hp 4 sp 12bolt disk brake Chevelle Camaro Nova with all the SS type options they could get without buying an SS. Then would ad Z/28 carb intake cam and a set of headers. This combo is said to have run pretty well. It was similar to a non SS L79 (327 350hp) package that was a hot small block engine Chevelle Nova from 66-68. I know of a 69 Chevelle that was set up this way back in the 70s.

alss
Dec 13th, 06, 11:46 AM
Turns out the guy was a complete moron and is misrepresenting the car, he thought and still thinks the 300 hp engine is an LT-1.

Oh well

Sorry to hear that///still have to chase all the tips down..I finally did get lucky and found my COPO.

ALbert