Heavy Chvey On Ebay...something Just Isnt Right. [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Heavy Chvey On Ebay...something Just Isnt Right.

Sk8punk
Sep 20th, 06, 2:38 AM
I was scanning ebay this evening and came across a superb example of a heavy chevy resto. Concours quality. After spending about a half hour looking at the 30-40 pics, something just didnt seem right. Then it finally hit me. The carpet inside this particular model isnt correct. It isnt a malibu but the base chevelle. The base chevelle model came with moulded rubber mats and simulated wood trim in the interior. The Malibu interior would have only been available on the chevelle malibu that was ordered with the heavy chevy package. I was also intrigued by the supposed "original build sheet" that was supposed to be found above the gas tank. The build sheet looks phony and like it might have been a well done replica. I also noticed that the wheels are not correct and are actually "SS" wheels.

Here is the link if anyone here can look at the build sheet for flaws. I dont mean to sound picky but I just hate the thought of someone buying something that they think is authentic when it isnt. If this car is indeed authentic then I stand corrected. My gut tells me otherwise.

Anyone here care to decode the build sheet and find any flaws?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Chevelle-SHOW-WINNER-1971-CHEVROLET-CHEVELLE-HEAVY-CHEVY-PILOT-CAR-FRAME-OFF_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6164QQihZ016QQitemZ 260031646857QQrdZ1

Chris R
Sep 20th, 06, 2:50 AM
I saw that the other day also. Im not an expert on heavys so I cant comment on the accuracy but it sure looks like a nice car.

DaleM
Sep 20th, 06, 4:04 AM
You'd think if they're going to do a complete restoration like this of the supposedly 1st Heavy Chevy built, they'd have painted the original color of Lime Green and put the interior back original as well. But it done come with emblem delete, whatever that is. :clonk:

oldtimebaseballfan
Sep 20th, 06, 10:06 AM
There are numerous items which make me doubt the car being legit.
To start with the Trim Tag, the date is 02D (Feb. 4th week). It is my understanding from a couple of source books the Heavy Chevy didn't debut until 04A. It is hard to believe the first Heavy would roll off the line in Feb. and then the rest of them wouldn't start until April.

His build sheet doesn't have anything that ties it in with the car such as VIN or Body #.

His build sheet shows E78-14 tires. I know the SS wheels he has is incorrect because they are 15 inch.

The Heavy pkg. did not include bright moldings on the wheel well lips.

The build sheet shows many U options. The Heavy pkg could not have certain lighting options so I think this would be incorrect also.

As mentioned before, it should not have carpet.

As Dale mentioned, if this was the first pilot car, it would have more value to keep it the correct colors. He changed the exterior and interior.

All of these inconsistencies make me say, fraud.

I am going to send him a message asking about the build date and the build sheet.

Mr Chevelle
Sep 20th, 06, 10:30 AM
Shouldn't the build sheet have YF3 Heavy Chevy RPO code listed at bottom?

Sk8punk
Sep 20th, 06, 12:07 PM
There are numerous items which make me doubt the car being legit.
To start with the Trim Tag, the date is 02D (Feb. 4th week). It is my understanding from a couple of source books the Heavy Chevy didn't debut until 04A. It is hard to believe the first Heavy would roll off the line in Feb. and then the rest of them wouldn't start until April.

His build sheet doesn't have anything that ties it in with the car such as VIN or Body #.

His build sheet shows E78-14 tires. I know the SS wheels he has is incorrect because they are 15 inch.

The Heavy pkg. did not include bright moldings on the wheel well lips.

The build sheet shows many U options. The Heavy pkg could not have certain lighting options so I think this would be incorrect also.

As mentioned before, it should not have carpet.

As Dale mentioned, if this was the first pilot car, it would have more value to keep it the correct colors. He changed the exterior and interior.

All of these inconsistencies make me say, fraud.

I am going to send him a message asking about the build date and the build sheet.

The funny thign about Heavy Chevys is that you could order just about any style or package you wanted in addition to the YF3/VF8 packages. I say this because of my Malibu Heavy Chevy which is documented from GM Canada. Refer to my pics in my other recent post and you will see what I mean. I wasnt meaning to pick this other persons car apart but it just seemed like something just wasnt quite right. I know original build sheets can be faked and as you said about the paint, why would someone paint it a different colour other then original green if they go to all the trouble of trying to make it concours quality????? It just doesnt make sense. My car came with chrome fender trim and rocker trim as well. Mine also came with the Malibu interior which includes everything you would have received with a plain chevelle. My car does have some things that need correcting. Steering wheel is not original, rims are from a Corvette, I installed a mirror on the passenger side for better visibility for me while driving, etc etc etc. Some things I will work on fixing while others are just fine. I dont want to make my car concours quality as it is a daily driver in the summer. I have had some people pick my car apart and call it a clone, but I have the documentation to prove. One book I have says that there were Heavy Chevy Malibus built, while another says that none were built. Then theres my documentation which proves there was. To bad the US didnt keep as detailed records as GM canada did.

Mr Chevelle
Sep 20th, 06, 12:18 PM
I say this because of my Malibu Heavy Chevy which is documented from GM Canada.

What kind of documentation do you get from GM of Canada?

Sk8punk
Sep 20th, 06, 12:48 PM
You give them the Vin # from your car and they send you a list of all the options and items your car was originally ordered with. It will cost you though...around 70 bucks. I guess its kind of like build sheet.

Mr Chevelle
Sep 20th, 06, 1:07 PM
I owned a 72 HC with original documentation until recently. I have always thought the HC option was only offered on the plain Chevelle model so this may take some getting used to.

FYI - below is information offered here at TC in Tech Archives and Resto Shop.

How were Heavy Chevy’s different from Chevelle SS ?
http://www.chevelles.com/archive/files/heavych.htm (http://www.chevelles.com/archive/files/heavych.htm)

Chevelle SS Identification
http://www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html (http://www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html)

Quote from Chevelle SS Identification above:

“New for '71 was a "Heavy Chevy" package which featured special decals and some SS equipment. While the SS was based upon the Malibu, the Heavy Chevy was based upon the base Chevelle model, which had less trim. The Heavy Chevy could be ordered with any V8 engine except a 454. Like the Malibu 400 cars, many Heavy Chevys have been converted to SS clones. The VIN on a '71 Heavy Chevy starts with 13437, while the VIN on a V8 Malibu or SS coupe starts with 13637.”

PS - I checked out your post w/pictures....nice car....I think your fan shroud is BB. All the SB's I've seen have three rings like the one in the ebay link above.

Professor_SS
Sep 20th, 06, 1:34 PM
since the door panels are not available, (at least to my knowledge) he may have used the Malibu interior. You're correct the Heavy used the 300 interior door panels. Carpet was not included in the Heavy base model but many of them had it dealer installed before delivery. A good friend of mine bought one new in 71 and it had carpeting in it.

cuisinartvette
Sep 20th, 06, 1:44 PM
Boy, you guys know your stuff...Id never be able to spot things like that :thumbsup:

Dean
Sep 20th, 06, 1:52 PM
I can't find the post but I remember someone here a few years ago (or maybe more than a few) saying he thought he had the first Heavy Chevy because it said "1st YF3" on the build sheet, must be the same car.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90685&highlight=1st+YF3

Cam
Sep 20th, 06, 4:45 PM
I do believe that it is the pilot Heavy Chevy. That car was discussed in a previous thread back in May of 2005 (see Dean's link above) In that thread I pasted the information and single photo of the car from a January 2001 ad.(the car is no longer found at the link to racingjunk.com)

Today the car sure looks nice. The ad copy does contain the usual hype, such as ‘no expense spared’. Yes it does look like it received an extensive restoration. Some deviations from stock include Malibu door panels, seats and carpet. The correct rubber floor covering up until recently was nearly impossible to replace. For seat upholstery you would have to dig deeper into that ‘no expense spared :p ’ restoration budget to pay for NOS seat material, plus the door panels would either have to be reused & refurbished, or replaced with donor door panels. It is usually difficult and expensive to pull off a correct base Chevelle interior restoration. Besides that, most people traditionally favor the upscale Malibu interior with its additional padding on the seats, added insulation, carpeting (rubber floor covering can actually accelerate floor rot if water gets underneath). Personally I would’ve really tried to stay with the stripped interior that it came with.

Other deviations from stock on that car include the colour change to Mulsanne Blue. Given that it is the pilot car I myself would’ve gone stock and as original, but then it’s not my car is it? Mulsanne Blue is a great choice regardless. The 15x7 SS 5-spokes look great on the car and are a worthwhile upgrade over the 14x6 6-slot Rally Wheels without trim rings that it would have come with originally. The wheel opening moldings are not original to that model, but they do brighten up and accentuate the car.

They kept the drivetrain stock, adding only dual exhausts. Starting on the ’71 Chevelles, if the engine came standard with a single exhaust system, there was no upgrade to duals as there had been in previous years with some engines. I can’t blame them for wanting duals. The look is stock anyway, without the rectangular tips that are commonly owner-added from the SS454. The 2.56 rear ratio is the stock ratio for the L65 / M38 combo. Slow off the line but probably economical for cruising.

As for all the lighting options shown on the build sheet (which looks perfectly legit to me), they are all offered as option ZJ9 – Auxiliary Lighting. That option can be added to base Chevelles or upscale Malibus. It adds more lights to models that don’t already come with things like a glovebox light (Malibu) or courtesy lights (convertible).

The Custom Steering Wheel is a seldom seen option, giving a soft rim in place of the hard one, plus a unique shroud.

All in all I think it is a beautiful restoration. If it were me I’d have left the stock colour and interior, and wheels. I’d probably have difficulty leaving the single exhaust system on it unless it was a total trailer queen.

Thanks for the heads-up, Sk8punk! BTW your car looks great too! :thumbsup: I see also that we are neighbors in this big city of ours.:waving:

Dave Birdwell
Sep 20th, 06, 7:44 PM
The build sheet is legit. The emblem delete is for the malibu emblems, as the heavy chevy used decals, therefore there is no need for the emblem holes. The right hand side of the build sheet appears to be MIA, but I would bet that the car has ZJ9 lighting package on it. Being a supposed numbers matching car, I would have painted it back to the original color as well. I fretted over what to do with my '70 442, White is kind of a dull color, but it is 95% numbers matching car, so I went back to white.

oldtimebaseballfan
Sep 20th, 06, 9:57 PM
Can anyone explain the Trim Tag date being almost 2 months before the Heavy Chevy pkg. was released?

prefectca
Sep 20th, 06, 10:13 PM
Does anybody know what came with the Heavy Chevy package? Was it just a stripe kit? I hear people saying that ALL Heavy Chevies have... and a list of stuff like a 12 bolt disc brakes etc. In the late seventies one of the customers at the garage where I worked had a Heavy Chevy and it was a 307 auto with a ten bolt and drum brakes all around. It was well used up then and went to the crusher in the very early eighties. It was light green with green bench interior and rubber mats.
Paul

Rainer
Sep 20th, 06, 10:20 PM
Can anyone explain the Trim Tag date being almost 2 months before the Heavy Chevy pkg. was released?

The reason for time difference is because of the pilot car status. From what I understand about pilot cars, this car would not have been built and offered to the general public, but was probably driven by a GM exec. The pilot cars were built to give GM a chance to "shake out" the bugs in their new models before officially releasing them to the public.

Re: legitimacy, this car is indeed real. It was owned a few years ago by a former TCer in CA, and he confirmed that this is in fact his old car which he posted about years ago here.

Brotherjoe
Sep 20th, 06, 10:52 PM
I was took a look at the auction and I wonder why its a "PRIVATE" auction? Why does the high bidders name need to be private? Also, this might really be nit picking but what the hell, if this is such a high level resto, why is there no needle on the gas guage?

Bomber '67
Sep 20th, 06, 11:06 PM
I am impressed that a '71 with a 2 bbl 350 originally with a single exhaust, TH350 and 2.56 rear, etc has made bids that high!

One curiousity for me is why, if it is a pilot car, was it delivered to a regular dealership that wasn't even the closest one to the assembly plant? I would have expected the build sheet to reflect that it was billed to the local corporate office. I would then expect that after corporate had given it their blessing that it would be reinvoiced to the lucky dealership - but they would not have changed out a build sheet to reflect that change.

Thomas

70RatRocket
Sep 20th, 06, 11:39 PM
Seems like someone always assumes every build sheet shown here is a fake. Yes, there are some fake ones out there but probaly more real ones out there than you think. My 72 Heavy build sheet (yes, it's an original build sheet) shows a BW1-Delete RR ORN and the ZJ9 Lighting group that includes the UF1 Mirror Lamp, U25 Trunk Lite, Ash tray light, courtesy light, glove box light, and underhood light.

Chevy fan attic
Sep 20th, 06, 11:48 PM
Hey Dale M What were Heavy Chevys ?

Dean
Sep 20th, 06, 11:52 PM
The wheels LOOK correct to me, except maybe for the center caps.
If I remember correctly, these had "HC" on them.
http://macc.chevelles.net/images/rim00002.jpg

Cam
Sep 21st, 06, 12:04 AM
Does anybody know what came with the Heavy Chevy package? Was it just a stripe kit? I hear people saying that ALL Heavy Chevies have... and a list of stuff like a 12 bolt disc brakes etc. In the late seventies one of the customers at the garage where I worked had a Heavy Chevy and it was a 307 auto with a ten bolt and drum brakes all around. It was well used up then and went to the crusher in the very early eighties. It was light green with green bench interior and rubber mats.
Paul

Here's a little something I threw into the '71 showroom for everyone's benefit: clickable link: (http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/508/71optionsPg6_Cam_.jpg) It is just one page from a fleet ordering guide for 1971. Note the date on the bottom of the page. Also notice the presence of the LS6, albeit without a price.

1970SS396&1967
Sep 21st, 06, 3:52 AM
What kind of documentation do you get from GM of Canada?

Lots!!!!