Selling my parts car..got suspicious email [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Selling my parts car..got suspicious email

7DSS
Aug 2nd, 06, 3:13 AM
Okay, so I'm selling what's left of my parts car on ebay. It's just the shell and rolling chassis. I get an question from a potential buyer asking if the car had a title (no, but, thats ok) and also asked if it still had the cowl and VIN tags. Keep in mind that the body is shot, and not restorable in my opinion (body mounts shot, rockers shot, qtrs shot, trunk shot, half the body missing in the rear, etc). Am I reading too much into this? Why do I keep thinking that this may be the start of some tag swapping? I can't think of why anyone would want to transfer the tags from a "run-of-the-mill" Malibu base model to another car. Maybe I'm just being too suspicious and they want to try and fix it up.

This is a first for me. What do you think. I don't want to be a part in anything like that, or provide anything to the cause.

undee70ss
Aug 2nd, 06, 3:46 AM
Why do I keep thinking that this may be the start of some tag swapping? I can't think of why anyone would want to transfer the tags from a "run-of-the-mill" Malibu base model to another car. Maybe I'm just being too suspicious and they want to try and fix it up.

That is very possible. There are so many clones out there, I don't think it makes a difference if it comes from a "run-of-the-mill" Malibu base model. Then again someone may need something off it to repair their car, maybe a wreck. You just never know.

MidLife72
Aug 2nd, 06, 8:40 AM
Or maybe they want to cover up a stolen vehicle.......

66 Buick Special
Aug 2nd, 06, 9:38 AM
I was thinking what mid life said... or another possibility is...

They might be trying to pass off a car that has a salvage title from being totalled. If your car has never officially been totalled, by swapping tags and applying for a title... no more repaired wreck, just a nice clean restored Chevelle.

7DSS
Aug 2nd, 06, 10:27 AM
I guess there's no way for me to know. I will have no idea what is done with the car when it leaves here.

Chris R
Aug 2nd, 06, 12:56 PM
I would almost go as far as to say to just take the tags off. But if someone really did want to put that car back on the road, that would make it difficult for them to do so. But it sounds like whats left is in bad shape so I would still consider it anyways. Just because of the reason alone for what Mid-life mentioned. That tag wont help with making a clone for that year anyways.

1968SS427
Aug 2nd, 06, 1:18 PM
As a retired Sergeant from NYPD I had friend who were in the Auto crime unit, and I was told that the pros had access to NOS vin tag rivets. This was back in the '70s & 80's where cars were stolen, vins changed and the cars shipped overseas for BIG $$$$$. I would guess this scam has made a full cycle due the high value of restored muscle cars..............It's daja-vu all over again.. :sad:

MidLife72
Aug 2nd, 06, 1:45 PM
I looked at your ebay ad and if someone was interested in restoring your car, they have more time, money, and energy than I. But any car that is sold that is good for "parts only" can have the tags pulled for all the wrong reasons. About the only good I could think of doing would be making a circle track racer out of it.

Brotherjoe
Aug 2nd, 06, 3:15 PM
I was selling a parts car on ebay and I got emails asking if I would sell them just the title and the vin tags.....I told them all "heck no"

7DSS
Aug 2nd, 06, 3:42 PM
Thanks for the opinions and background. I have to figure out away to not contribute to this kind of activity (if it is in fact what I think it is). If i pull the cowl tag and VIN tag, am I not in a sense "breaking the law" by doing that? If someone was honestly going to attempt to restore it, wouldn't they just ask about a title. I guess I could block bids from the guy that sent the email. Any other ideas?

cop
Aug 2nd, 06, 4:42 PM
what about these (NEW) camaros? they dont come with a vin tag. i am talking about the 67,68,69 new bodys you can buy. are they making chevelles yet. maby someone is getting there tags first for when they do start making the chevelle.

LateNight72
Aug 2nd, 06, 5:27 PM
cop, Their only making '69 'Maro bodies. They are trying to produce a '70-'72 Chevelle body aswell.. (Yikes! :sad: )

-Todd

Professor_SS
Aug 2nd, 06, 8:02 PM
maybe he wanted to know if you had the vin and title because he wanted to make sure you didn't steal it somewhere. Just playing the devils advocate.

JWagner
Aug 2nd, 06, 10:52 PM
Removing the VIN tag is actually a federal offense, so do not do it. Why anyone would want a partial rusted vehicle with no title is a mystery to me. They must have a contact that can take the VIN tag info and make a new fake title?

DaleM
Aug 3rd, 06, 1:23 AM
what about these (NEW) camaros? they dont come with a vin tag. i am talking about the 67,68,69 new bodys you can buy. are they making chevelles yet. maby someone is getting there tags first for when they do start making the chevelle.

They are assigned a VIN by the state just as any reproduction body, chassis, engine, etc. (ala [pick a year] Ford coupe/roadster) or if the VIN plate is missing' for whatever reason. I've seen several 60s Chevelles with state issued VIN plates. I can see two reasons someone would want to buy just a title and VIN plates. (1) They're too lazy to get a state-issued VIN for a car they currently have or (2) as Mid Life '72 said, they want to cover up a currently stolen vehicle. An inquiry as to whether you had a valid title and VIN plates could be just to cover them that they're not buying something suspicious.

CRUZN69
Aug 3rd, 06, 2:35 AM
Whats the item number on ebay?

7DSS
Aug 3rd, 06, 3:22 AM