Dumb: Why does my lower radiator hose keep slipping off? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Dumb: Why does my lower radiator hose keep slipping off?

68Phoenix
Jul 17th, 06, 12:17 AM
This is really bugging me. My old lower rad hose popped off after a long trip, when I parked the car. I reattached it ( band/screw clamp) and figured it was a fluke. It happened again. Then again. Bought a new hose. Same thing.

The radiator outlet has a rubber soft grommet or something up against the tank wall. It's as if the hose is being slowly forced off the end of the outlet. If I really crank down on the clamp, you can already see the end of the hose creeping away from the tank. What the heck is going on? The outlet looked in pretty good condition, but it does seem like it's "loose" inside the rubber grommet that goes through the tank wall. When tightened up, nothing leaks, until it blows!

Does this sound like a blown head gasket? Over pressurizing the coolant system? (please no, please no, please no)

idunno
Jul 17th, 06, 8:48 AM
there should be a wire spring inside the lower rad hose to keep it from collapsing. If its not there it can suck the hose closed then the water pump will pull the hose off.

Dean
Jul 17th, 06, 9:02 AM
There shouldn't be anything on the raditor inlet hose stub other than the lower hose unless it's diameter is too small and it needs a bushing.

Maybe it's too slick, I've heard that the hose will blow off the water pump if painted.

68Phoenix
Jul 17th, 06, 2:30 PM
There shouldn't be anything on the raditor inlet hose stub other than the lower hose unless it's diameter is too small and it needs a bushing.

Maybe it's too slick, I've heard that the hose will blow off the water pump if painted.Maybe it's slick. Ihate to drop that hose again as it's a pain recovering all the coolant from the radiator (the radiator drain plug is even worse!). The old hose was too big, and there was some kind of bushing around the lower radiator opening that was the consistency of tar-paper (at least it was after years of use). The disintegration of that bushing probably caused the first leak. The new hose has the correct 1.5-inch opening. But the soft-rubber grommet has me bewildered... and seems to interfere with the hose end.

Ark68SS
Jul 17th, 06, 2:49 PM
Pete, does the tube on the radiator have a good rolled bead on it? The hose should slip on the fitting far enough that the clamp will be on the front side of the bead so that it can't slip back. If it doesn't have a bead on it, a radiator shop may be able to solder a new fitting into the radiator. And, like Dean said, there shouldn't be anything on the hose tube but the hose.

BillL

no1dc
Jul 17th, 06, 5:37 PM
Maybe it's because your driving to fast :D see other post ;) Pete

Mr.blue
Jul 17th, 06, 7:13 PM
One... no, two words, two clamps.

70 beater
Jul 17th, 06, 7:54 PM
And scuff up the tube with some sandpaper or emory cloth.

68Phoenix
Jul 19th, 06, 4:17 PM
Pete, does the tube on the radiator have a good rolled bead on it? The hose should slip on the fitting far enough that the clamp will be on the front side of the bead so that it can't slip back. If it doesn't have a bead on it, a radiator shop may be able to solder a new fitting into the radiator. And, like Dean said, there shouldn't be anything on the hose tube but the hose.

BillLIt does have a rolled bead Bill, and I try to put the clamp behind the bead. But there's something weird about this grommet-thingy. I am gonna try to get after it again tonight, maybe I can post a picture. I gotta get it running. My daughter needs to drive the crappy minivan, so I'll be FORCED to drive the chevelle for a while :D.

Hal_396
Jul 19th, 06, 7:32 PM
I have the bushing also. Stock 396 rad for 69. I haven't had any issues with mine yet,

Olle
Jul 19th, 06, 7:42 PM
It seems like it would take a lot of force to pull off a hose that has a good and tight hose clamp behind that rolled bead. :confused: Is it really a grommet or is it a sleeve? I have never seen any grommets on the tube, only thing I have seen is a rubber sleeve, where someone had been jury rigging it when using a hose that was too big for the tube. That tar paper you're talking about sounds like a similar contraption.

I haven't seen what it looks like (a picture would be good), but I would say that your best bet is to remove whatever you have got on the tube right now, and then make sure that the hose still fits snugly.

Alwhite00
Jul 19th, 06, 7:57 PM
Can you remove the "grommet-thingy"?

LK

68Phoenix
Jul 20th, 06, 2:24 PM
Well I was going to work on the 'velle last night... instead I was haulin' hay for my daughter's horse.

I didn't want to remove the grommet in case it, well, was a functioning grommet! In which case it should have sealed or protected something.

I'll get a picture of this tonight and I appreciate all the suggestions. .

68Phoenix
Jul 20th, 06, 2:27 PM
Is it really a grommet or is it a sleeve? I have never seen any grommets on the tube, only thing I have seen is a rubber sleeve, where someone had been jury rigging it when using a hose that was too big for the tube. That tar paper you're talking about sounds like a similar contraption.
Exactly what I'm talking about, but that tar-paper sleeve fell apart. The grommet/bushing is soft rubber and up against the tank wall surrounding the fitting. Is this the same as yours AlWhite?

68Phoenix
Jul 21st, 06, 10:16 AM
Here's the picture: From this you can see that whatever it is, it creates a nice slick runway for the hose to slip off. If this looks ldisposable, I'll take it off. Maybe it is just what's left of the original "adapter/sleeve".

jlf60608
Jul 21st, 06, 10:35 AM
Almost looks like an old radiator hose. I would cut it off.

Ark68SS
Jul 21st, 06, 10:52 AM
Here's the picture: From this you can see that whatever it is, it creates a nice slick runway for the hose to slip off. If this looks ldisposable, I'll take it off. Maybe it is just what's left of the original "adapter/sleeve".

I think that's what it is. Cut if off with a razor blade and then use some sandpaper to clean the nipple. If you REALLY want the hose to stay on, go to a parts store & try to find some "Indian Head" gasket shellac. If you spread some of that on the nipple and the hose, then the hose will NEVER come off. I worked for a guy who made us put that mess on every hose job we did, and if you had to remove the hose for another job, you had to cut & grind it off.
BillL

BobFmTyler
Jul 21st, 06, 11:31 AM
Face it Pete, the car is just cursed. :D

Dean
Jul 21st, 06, 11:40 AM
Looks like an old reducer / increaser bushing maybe.
Definately needs to come off, then if the hose is too big you will need either a different hose or a new bushing.
I've used a 2" piece of hose the fits the stub as an increaser before.
You shouldn't need any type of dope or shellac on it.

charbilly2001
Jul 21st, 06, 11:53 AM
#1 Ditch the grommet

#2 If that outlet isn't cylindrical BEHIND the rolled tip then its BAD. If thats true then have your local radiator shop solder a new outlet. No Chevelle ever came with any rubber gromet on any coolant fitting....ever.

Good luck :)

68Phoenix
Jul 21st, 06, 1:26 PM
Face it Pete, the car is just cursed. :DThankfully, we didn't try to put it on your trailer! :p

68Phoenix
Jul 21st, 06, 1:35 PM
#1 Ditch the grommetYeah, that's what I'm gonna do :hurray:.

Thanks for the help. I don't think I'll use any sealant as the new top hose hasn't given me any problems, and I hate finding sealant everywhere when a good cleaning and good technique are all that's needed.

I'm too cautious sometimes (Next up: Helicoils), but with what they pay educators these days :sad:, you have to minimize screw-ups.

Ark68SS
Jul 21st, 06, 2:17 PM
You gotta get that car ready to go to Tulsa in a couple of weeks, email or call me if you need any help. :)

BillL

Chris R
Jul 21st, 06, 11:18 PM
You shouldnt need an adapter like that in the first place. Replace the hose or find a radiator that has the correct outlet if that is not the correct oem radiator.