Will '68 glass panels fit in '69???? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Will '68 glass panels fit in '69????

MikeUCV
Jul 3rd, 06, 11:45 AM
Hello guys.

I recently got my hands on a 69 chevelle without the passenger's side glass panels (door and quarter). Those have been really difficult to find, but looking in the clasf. section I found them for a 68 chevelle. Will they fit in my '69??

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is the begining of my very first retoration project and I'm sure I'll find all the help I need among you guys.

Mike.

Dean
Jul 3rd, 06, 11:47 AM
68's have vent wings and most 69's don't have them so it would depend if your car has them or not.

Bill Rose
Jul 3rd, 06, 12:03 PM
Door/quarter glass for a 69 Chevelle is available from any number of venders. Some even date code them if your looking for correctness. One vender I've used is Auto City Classics. Their prices are reasonable and date coding is available/optional. (http://www.autocityclassics.com/)

TC
Jul 3rd, 06, 12:59 PM
Do yourself a favor and find OE glass, I bought new glass for my 69 from the above vendor and sent it back .
The reason is, the glass I recieved did not have the correct curve in it from front to rear.
If you look at a 69 door you will see it has a curve to it.
They have the curve from top to bottom in the glass, but mine did "not" have a compound curve to it.
After adjusting the glass to the car, I could put a paint stick between the outside door fuzzie and the glass. (not good in the rain)
I sat a metal yard stick on the OE glass and then the repop. from front to rear
The OE glass had a gap in the center, the repop glass didnt.
I found good OE glass for both door's and solved the problem, that showed it wasnt my adjusting, it was the glass.
If you check around you may find some clear glass that fits?
Or mabe another factory is now making the glass?
I also found out that the "DOT" number doesnt have to do with the dept. of trans. it's the factory number where the glass was made.
I posted alot on this at the time I was having this problem, If I remember rite I posted the factory number that made the bad glass?
You may do a search on my user name and find out what number to stay away from? It's been about three years agao?
Hope this helps?
T.C.

Derek69SS
Jul 3rd, 06, 1:33 PM
I'm assuming your car is a 2dr Hardtop... the '68 door glass is different, but the quarter glass is the same.

Bill Rose
Jul 3rd, 06, 1:38 PM
This subject has ben tossed around several times here on TC. I've used their glass on 4 cars now and I' happy with the fit. I've also helped friends do this. The glass in some cases is slightly thinner, but the contour and fit is fine. It takes a bit of adjusting, but thats the way the side glass is designed. There are many adjustments in the doors and quarters to make the fit right. After moving the adjusters several times, it will work. It can be frustrating to do but, mine have all come out nice. If you can't get the new glass to fit, you can always take it to a body shop where they have experienced body guys, and have them tweak it. They do this every day when they replace doors/quarters.

TC
Jul 3rd, 06, 2:31 PM
Not to argue Bill,
Mabe they have fixed the problem?
When I was installing my glass I worked at it for several days, then I had a glass company that does this every day come to my house and they couldnt get the glass to fit.
I then some had bodyshop buddy's come try to adjust them.
It's not the outside shape it's the curve from front to rear.
Also without adjusting anything I installed the OE glass and it solved the problem.
I would guess that you and your friends are getting glass that was made by a different factory than my repo. glass?
I also talked to Auto City Classics and Pilkington about the glass I had and they all agreed it was bad and did not have the correct compound curve to it.
They also (at that time) didnt have any other glass that would work correctly, other than clear.
The OE glass and the repo. glass that "I" had didnt have the same curves.
The companys know they have this problem and I have been told by the owner of ACC that untill the factory decides to correct the problem, thats how it will be, mabe they have corrected the problem?
All I can say is if you buy this glass, do this test:
Take a steel straight edge from front to rear on the inside of the repo. glass.
Now measure the space between the metal edge and the glass about in the center, now do the same with the OE glass.
If you come up with the same measurement, then good for you , you got good glass.
If not you will never get it to seal out the wind,rain, dirt, ect........
My repo. glass was almost flat from front to rear and so was all the glass they had in there wearhouse, the OE glass is not, and all the adjusting in the world wont change the shape of the glass.
T.C.

Bill Rose
Jul 3rd, 06, 3:30 PM
I don't know, maybe they have different suppliers?.... "or one batch" is better than another? Another problem I've fould with the door glass, is that it won't fit/line up with the quarter glass b/c the weather strip on the quarter glass is often too stiff. It doesn't allow the glass to push in far enough to line up. I bought a different quarter glass weather strip off an Ebay guy and it helped a bunch. It's not as stiff and allows the glass to compress it more. Sometimes, we have to "work" with these parts and make them fit the best we can, I guess. :confused:

TC
Jul 3rd, 06, 4:18 PM
Sorry about the doubble post........................
Wasnt trying to do that?
About the supplier's, I think you are rite and thats probably why yours fit and mine didnt.
Thats where the "DOT" numbers come in, the numbers on my repo glass were for a factory in India if I can remember correctly.
The "DOT" numbers on the clear glass they found that had the correct compound curve to it was from Canada,but I needed tinted so that was out.
When the glass guys were at my house one of them pointed out that the windshied in my 1992 Chevy truck was made in Canada, and he showed me the DOT number and how to read it.
After that I ask around and I think the guy at Pilkintion finally told me where my repo. glass was made, he could tell where by the "DOT" number.
I thought it was very interesting, but it didnt get me the correct fitting glass.
Hopefully they have corrected this problem?
I will tell you that AutoCityClassics was more than fair when it came to replacing,refunding and shipping .
I had bought one of there glass kits, it sat in my shed for 3 years before I started to install any glass.
When I found I had a problem they refunded my money or replaced the glass,without an additude.
It wasnt there fault the glass didnt fit, but they took care of the problem, good company to deal with.
T.C.

Tom's 68
Jul 3rd, 06, 4:57 PM
Hello guys.

I recently got my hands on a 69 chevelle without the passenger's side glass panels (door and quarter). Those have been really difficult to find, but looking in the clasf. section I found them for a 68 chevelle. Will they fit in my '69??

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is the begining of my very first retoration project and I'm sure I'll find all the help I need among you guys.

Mike.the glass is different for the door
if you live close to eastern PA - I would be happy to just give you what you need if you could pick it up
I am not sure how hard it would be to ship
I probably have a half dozen drivers and passenger side windows - front and rear
I am sure they would need to be polished though

69ssmike
Jul 3rd, 06, 5:26 PM
I have a couple extras also, in Ohio.

TC
Jul 3rd, 06, 9:20 PM
I wanted really good glass,in finding it, I had four or five pieces shipped UPS with no problems.
Only problem I had was what some people's view of what really nice glass was, it wasnt what my view of really nice was...LOL
I payed for a big brown truck building this car.............
T.C.

69ssmike
Jul 3rd, 06, 9:38 PM
I wanted really good glass,in finding it, I had four or five pieces shipped UPS with no problems.
Only problem I had was what some people's view of what really nice glass was, it wasnt what my view of really nice was...LOL
I payed for a big brown truck building this car.............
T.C.
Ain't that the truth, after buying a couple, I got a REAL nice set from Albert out of his COPO:D

Tom's 68
Jul 3rd, 06, 11:46 PM
I can gaurentee you that the glass I have is real nice (for a driver)
I wouldn't use it in a top dollar resto though
that is why mine is free and for pickup only
I know what you mean about nice glass
even polishing won't make 'em look new
makes 'em look nice enough for a driver though :thumbsup:

MikeUCV
Jul 4th, 06, 9:36 AM
What an interesting thread!!!
Thank you very much all of you. I was a great help.

Mike