71 Chevelle Fake Vin #???? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 71 Chevelle Fake Vin #????

Chevelle402ss
Jun 22nd, 06, 12:07 AM
I was browsing eBay and found this chevelle. To me, this vin number looks exteremely fake, the letters are stamped not embossed? Not even close to being right??? Isn't this illegal???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4633272851&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

67 GTO
Jun 22nd, 06, 12:40 AM
Yikes! and it's been bid to $31,000!

http://i8.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/b3/48/53_3.JPG

350_Malibu
Jun 22nd, 06, 1:45 AM
Could be real vin, just restamped or fake and a rip off. My guess is the rip off...

ACES-70
Jun 22nd, 06, 8:46 AM
If Im not mistaken ,the numbers on the VIN plate are raised numbers, not stamped. I think sumtin smells bad with that VIN tag.

huffhuff
Jun 22nd, 06, 9:07 AM
to me they look like they are raised but have had the paint scuffed for easy reading but shouldn't the numbers line up straighter?

Chevelle402ss
Jun 22nd, 06, 9:46 AM
Well, I've seen many vin tags before, and this one's font doesn't even come close to all of the original ones I've seen. It looks to me like a piece of metal that's been stamped aftermarket somehow.....

Rapid
Jun 22nd, 06, 7:34 PM
Look at the cowl tag. It has a different vin# on it.

Quote" The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith. " ????

furball8994
Jun 22nd, 06, 7:44 PM
Chevrolet : Chevelle Chevelle
1971 Chevelle SS LS5 Frame Off matching Numbers,67,70
Does this mean it has matching numbers from a 71 as well as 67 and 70?

RAMBO
Jun 22nd, 06, 7:44 PM
Look at the cowl tag. It has a different vin# on it.

Quote" The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith. " ????

body tag sequence and VIN sequence are always different, they represnet different things. But the first several Numbers which designate brand & model should be the same.. and in this case they are.

Still doesn't answer why it has a home made VIN tag, or weather or not its the real number.

Andy69
Jun 22nd, 06, 7:46 PM
Just for grins I decided to stick my nose in where it didn't belong and tried to email both the seller and the buyer and Ebay's system wouldn't let me. Protecting against spam, they said. Outstanding. Oh well, I'm guessing the buyer will find out soon enough.

Do you guys think this thing might be stolen and a different VIN tag added?

Rapid
Jun 22nd, 06, 8:59 PM
body tag sequence and VIN sequence are always different, they represnet different things. But the first several Numbers which designate brand & model should be the same.. and in this case they are.

Still doesn't answer why it has a home made VIN tag, or weather or not its the real number.

Thanks Ben.

I did not realize that. I checked on my wifes 71 and saw that it was different also. Sorry I'm used to mopars that also have the vin on the tag.

prefectca
Jun 22nd, 06, 9:25 PM
The vin tag on my car has an "8" in the vin number and it is not shaped like a regular number 8. I think it is to discourage people from trying to make false numbers. The tag in this post is definately a fake.

yellowride
Jun 22nd, 06, 9:59 PM
I can not understand how someone can get away with this.

I can not understand why someone would bid on this car.It can not be a real vin tag.

Chevelle402ss
Jun 22nd, 06, 10:06 PM
Exactly. Why would someone bid on this?? Could some of the "bidders" possibly be buddies of the seller trying to encourage others to bid? I have no idea. This is just wrong though. I see no point in having a new vin tag made. In 71, why would they want to take the tag off in the first place? It's not like 72 where a 72 vin tag gives a letter code for engine size????????

That's the only reason I can think of to the car being a stolen car, or possibly someone bought it from a junk yard and someone took the tags off for some reason, who knows!

JWagner
Jun 22nd, 06, 10:53 PM
I like the description of the car as "restored" but with a ton of modifications. Definitely something fishy here.

BACK FROM THE DEAD
Jun 23rd, 06, 3:01 AM
ya that VIN looks nothing like my 13637 ,71 chevelle. love those totally modified RESTORED cars.

newmexguy
Jun 23rd, 06, 1:01 PM
the car may have had a rusted out lower windsheild channel, that also took out the VIN, that is one thing that should be disclosed to any potential buyer.

dcarr
Jun 24th, 06, 1:35 AM
Yes, I think the most likely scenario is that the original VIN tag was rusted away.

The original color scheme on this car was Placer Gold with a Black vinyl top.

Chevelle402ss
Jun 24th, 06, 10:25 AM
Ok, that is fine that it was rusted out so they put a "new" tag on it. Now, try convincing people who know and see that tag is fake of that story, how many will believe you? I guess some believed the guy's story since it sold for $30k