Street Duty Solid Roller lifters and Tall Deck BBC question? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Street Duty Solid Roller lifters and Tall Deck BBC question?

Shawn Gilbert
May 10th, 06, 6:56 PM
K guys,

I was looking at the selection of lifters that use forced oiling. Like the Endure-X variety from Comp cams and the isky Redzone. I noticed they both come with .300 taller bodies for aftermarket block clearance. Question is since im using a tall deck bbc which is .400 taller than a factory block should i use the .300 roller lifters? It seems to me that would shorten the pushrod length which automatically has to be .400 longer which would make it stronger ect?

any thoughts on this anyone?

Shawn

GOSFAST
May 10th, 06, 7:30 PM
K guys,

I was looking at the selection of lifters that use forced oiling. Like the Endure-X variety from Comp cams and the isky Redzone. I noticed they both come with .300 taller bodies for aftermarket block clearance. Question is since im using a tall deck bbc which is .400 taller than a factory block should i use the .300 roller lifters? It seems to me that would shorten the pushrod length which automatically has to be .400 longer which would make it stronger ect?

any thoughts on this anyone?

Shawn

Hi Shawn, the tall deck, 10.200", BB has no effect on the +.300" tall(er) lifters. The lifters themselves are taller to fit the "raised" lifter bores in most aftermarket blocks, both the 9.800" and the 10.200". We just delivered a number of sets of the new Comp Cams 883-16's and have tested a few sets on the dyno. No problems so far and we don't anticipate any issues. We have no oil pressure changes from past units with non-pin oiled pieces. The readings are identical. Only the body of the lifter is taller, not the pushrod seat location. It has no effect on the pushrod length unlike a hydraulic roller setup!

Due to the fact these new lifters don't use a "captured" link bar we can supply them to a few of our customers who we still build some solid roller 409's for street use. It's a "lay-in" deal using some extended link bars. For a set of these with "direct" pin-oiling that will sell for about $450.00/$475.00 we feel this will be a "hot" seller. Time will tell. One customer here just returned his Crower "Hippo's" after he saw us using the Comp's. He placed them side-by-side and went with Comp. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I want to add here that we have not lost any earlier roller lifters which had the standard oiling system. You still have to pay strict attention to
valve spring fatigue AND temperature. This is going to remain an area of concern even with these new lifters. Up here in the Northeast during the winter months, we make our customers back off the rockers if the unit will be sitting for any extended lengths of time.

TD509EFI
May 10th, 06, 7:55 PM
Shawn,

Interesting question. All the aftermarket blocks that are now available, and the newer Bow Tie block have raised/enlarged lifter bosses that allow .300"taller lifters. The taller lifter bosses reduce side loading on the lifter body.

Aftermarket tall roller lfters have a taller lifter body, but I'm not sure that the pushrod seat is relocated the same amount. In fact, I think the height of the pushrod seat in relation to the centerline of the lifter axle is very close to stock height lifters, but it varies slightly from one company to another.

For example, a 10.2" tall deck block would normally need 8.685"intakes and 9.656" exhuast pushrods. In my case, using a 10.2" Dart block with Crower tall body roller lifters and AFR heads ( which normally require .200"" or slightly longer pushrods) I would nedd something near 8.885 Int and 9.856"exh. If you subtracted the .300"for the taller lifters, it would be 8.585 / 9.556 pushrods. After measuring I actually needed 8.850 intakes, 9.750 exhausts, very close to the original estimate without taking the tller lifter body into account.

John