Anyone Using a Lenco Trans? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Anyone Using a Lenco Trans?

Steves65
Apr 6th, 06, 12:19 PM
I was wondering if it is feasable to use a Lenco 6 speed in a car that is mostly strip and a little street...? Any what the change-over would entail from a 700R4 to the Lenco.

Any Ideas?

Steve

69 Ratt Vette
Apr 6th, 06, 12:21 PM
Check out the ST1200. They have them in four or five speeds. Good for 1200 hp. The main problem is the lenght of the tranny and the shifter handles. Check Lenco's web site

kjett
Apr 6th, 06, 1:41 PM
Any what the change-over would entail

Unforunately, it will entail a VERY large hole in your tranny tunnel to accomodate the linkage/shifter handles. My '66 is originally a stick car and I looked into a number of aftermarket transmission before finally giving in and going to an automatic. IMHO, the Jerico transmission is one of the only strong aftermarket trannies that can be installed without really having to butcher the car. The problem with the Jerico is that, despite a plethera of gear choices, it's not an overdrive transmission. Therefore using one may prove to be a compromise for a street/strip car. The G-Force 5 speed is a very nice tranny, but a bit larger than the Jerico. I got a number of references from both companies and spoke to people actually using them in both street/strip applications. The "slider" design (lack of synchronizors) of the gears makes these transmissions a little less street friendly as they're not really designed for downshifting, but they can be made to work. It's really a matter of what you're willing to put up with.

Harold Sutton
Apr 6th, 06, 3:03 PM
Unforunately, it will entail a VERY large hole in your tranny tunnel to accomodate the linkage/shifter handles. My '66 is originally a stick car and I looked into a number of aftermarket transmission before finally giving in and going to an automatic. IMHO, the Jerico transmission is one of the only strong aftermarket trannies that can be installed without really having to butcher the car. The problem with the Jerico is that, despite a plethera of gear choices, it's not an overdrive transmission. Therefore using one may prove to be a compromise for a street/strip car. The G-Force 5 speed is a very nice tranny, but a bit larger than the Jerico. I got a number of references from both companies and spoke to people actually using them in both street/strip applications. The "slider" design (lack of synchronizors) of the gears makes these transmissions a little less street friendly as they're not really designed for downshifting, but they can be made to work. It's really a matter of what you're willing to put up with. G Force also makes a four speed that would be a bolt-in i think as the case resembles a Muncie or B-W Super T-10, but niether of these would be an overdrive. A TKO 600 would probably go in with a little massaging of the tunnel and should be strong enough. The Viper 6 speed could be made to fit but is quite a bit heavier. Rockland Standard Gear has several new T-56 transmissions that are rated at 1200 H.P. and 1000 lb.-ft. of torque. Information on this tranny can be found on page 140 of the May '06 Hot Rod Magazine. Lenco has a street model as Ken pointed out but it would most likely require some heavy modifications to install it.

Da_chevyman
Apr 6th, 06, 5:42 PM
I had a buddy around here the was running one of those lenco street 5 speeds in his blown/nitrious mustang on the street.
All those lightining rods looked wicked inside of the car. But they really had to work the trans tunnel to get the tranny in.
The only problem that he really had, that ended up to be a major problem was the input shaft being to short and not getting into the pilot bearing good this lead to something tearing up on the trans input shaft.

He and Lenco kept going back and forth on the measurements for the input shaft. I dont think he could get the problem resolved. He ended up putting the tranny for sale before he moved.

kstanbach
Apr 7th, 06, 1:15 AM
Unforunately, it will entail a VERY large hole in your tranny tunnel to accomodate the linkage/shifter handles. My '66 is originally a stick car and I looked into a number of aftermarket transmission before finally giving in and going to an automatic. IMHO, the Jerico transmission is one of the only strong aftermarket trannies that can be installed without really having to butcher the car. The problem with the Jerico is that, despite a plethera of gear choices, it's not an overdrive transmission. Therefore using one may prove to be a compromise for a street/strip car. The G-Force 5 speed is a very nice tranny, but a bit larger than the Jerico. I got a number of references from both companies and spoke to people actually using them in both street/strip applications. The "slider" design (lack of synchronizors) of the gears makes these transmissions a little less street friendly as they're not really designed for downshifting, but they can be made to work. It's really a matter of what you're willing to put up with.

I love my jerico, yes you have to goose the throttle a little before you downshift(which you should do with any trans illregardless). I love the noise too, which really isn't that bad.