Lifters seem to bleed down overnight? Clackin in the morning, everytime? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Lifters seem to bleed down overnight? Clackin in the morning, everytime?

stacey honn
Feb 11th, 06, 10:25 AM
I built a new 454, new everything eccept I use an old 268 cam and lifter set. Oil pressure is 50 at startup but seems to take about 30 seconds for the valve train to quiet up. The only thing I can think of is the springs are a bit stronger on this build by a few lbs. but still in spec. Everything sounds great after warmin up. Any thoughts? Anything to worry about? Stacey

SWHEATON
Feb 11th, 06, 12:30 PM
If the lifters do not have a lot of miles on them i would bet a few are out of adj which is usually the case when the lifters quiet down 30 seconds after startup.

Just re-adjust them 1/4-1/2 turn down from zero lashs either adjsuting them using the static method or doing it with the motor running at low idle (motor warmed up)and you should be fine. Use rocker arm clips or Al foil to stop the oil if doing valve adj with motor running. Also only adj 1 side at a time to reduce oil mess.

Scott

Mike Feudo
Feb 11th, 06, 12:39 PM
I've had some BBs do that. It's air trapped in the oil passage. The best cure it to either change the front two galley plugs to ones with .040 holes in them or drill yours. An added benefit is it oils the back of the cam gear.

Philip
Feb 11th, 06, 1:08 PM
Some oil filters will also cause this. If your filter is orange it could be the problem. Try a WIX (NAPA Gold) or an AC DELCO.

Xtreme70SS396
Feb 11th, 06, 1:30 PM
What oil are you using? It's also friggin COLD out, and if you're using conventional oil that's 30wt or so it takes a little time for it to circulate and thin out.

bubba68ss
Feb 11th, 06, 4:07 PM
Stacey, i have the same porblem. I got rid of my FRAM filter becasuse people say they allow the oil to bleed back down because of a poor design. You might change that if you have a FRAM.

Mike Feudo
Feb 11th, 06, 4:41 PM
If the oil filter is setting vertical it can't allow any oil to bleed back because it is always full. My old 6 had a problem of bleed back because the filter sat at an angle. Even a PH-5 cured the problem.

Buzzbomb
Feb 11th, 06, 5:15 PM
If the oil filter is setting vertical it can't allow any oil to bleed back because it is always full. My old 6 had a problem of bleed back because the filter sat at an angle. Even a PH-5 cured the problem.

That is exactly what I was thinking about using the orange filters and Chevrolet v'8s! Now I WILL say that I DON'T use ***m, but that has more to do with all the cardboard in it than anything else. I USED to use those filters on my Datsun truck, and had the same problem. HOWEVER- The filter sits directly sideways, and I can see just how a useless anti-drainback valve could cause this in my truck. On the other hand, I also used to use the orange filters in my '70 Nova w/350, and never had any ticking at start up0 and this was driving it elsewhere in 20 degree weather. The oil would have to somehow be siphoned out of the filter, right? As I said earlier, I changed to other filters mainly because I felt the quality was better. I personally like Purolator or Motorcraft. They are the same things, I have heard.

I would bet the problem is like an earlier poster stated- it just takes a little bit for the oil to thin out from cold weather.

SWHEATON
Feb 11th, 06, 5:33 PM
If the oil or oil filters turn out to not be the problem i would bet your valve adj is off as i mentioned above and thats why you get lifter clack for only 30 seconds after startup until oil pressure builds up and fills the lifters.

If the hyd lifters are adj correctly they should not clatter on startup untill oil pressure comes up.

You state the motor is new so it's very likely 1 or more lifters are slightly out of adj on the loosed side causing the startup clatter which i have seen happen after breakin of cam @ motor on rblt motors. Nobody is perfect and they can make a mistake on a lifter or 2 while doing valve adj getting them a little too loose which is what i think happened to you.

Again,this is assuming you have already checked to ensure you have not started to wipe out a cam lobe or 2 or have something like a rocker stud pulling out or comming loose.

Scott

stacey honn
Feb 11th, 06, 8:55 PM
Lifter preload is half turn on all. Few hundred miles on rebuild. Ran 1/4 turn for ring breakin. Re adjusted after oil change. running 10-30 and still get chatter for 30 seconds or so. Not a new cam here guys, used cam with used numbered lifters. cam isn't going bad . I just seem to have bleed down over night. now if your saying I should try and readjust them all, OK. Don't see why I need to. I broke engine, (rings), in with 1/4 turn on lifters, then after oil change I gave them all a readjustment to 1/2 turn. For some odd reason I'm just feeling like a major leak down? I'm going to try a wix. My confession is I run a Fram. But my defence is I've always run cheaper filters and this is the first time I've experienced a lifter leak down.

stacey honn
Feb 12th, 06, 9:07 AM
Any more thoughts?

SWHEATON
Feb 13th, 06, 3:02 PM
Defective lifter/s or out of adjustment lifter/s or a combination of those things.

Scott

Busted Knuckles
Feb 13th, 06, 5:40 PM
I had a 4.3L V-6 that did it at about 150K miles. Tried adjusting them but nothing seemed to work. I finally replaced the lifters and it's quiet at start-up now and seems to have more power.