old edelbrock intake question [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: old edelbrock intake question

sschevellefan
Dec 21st, 05, 4:44 PM
I`ve got a old Edelbrock Scorpion intake and I was wondering if anyone knew what the power range was? I contaced Edelbrock but they told me 6000-8500rpms and that it was a full race intake but I had this on my street car and it ran fine from about 2500 up. It looks like a Vic. JR with the air gap under the runners but the runners are straight like a old torker and have NOS bosses cast into the runners. Any info would be great. It works great but I`m just looking to find out the rpm range. Thanks.

GOSFAST
Dec 21st, 05, 5:01 PM
I`ve got a old Edelbrock Scorpion intake and I was wondering if anyone knew what the power range was? I contaced Edelbrock but they told me 6000-8500rpms and that it was a full race intake but I had this on my street car and it ran fine from about 2500 up. It looks like a Vic. JR with the air gap under the runners but the runners are straight like a old torker and have NOS bosses cast into the runners. Any info would be great. It works great but I`m just looking to find out the rpm range. Thanks.

The RPM range depends entirely on the unit under it. The photo below shows one we tested actally a short time ago. It made 436+ HP (peak) @ 5700 RPM with ease on a base 383 stroker unit. Good intake, sits reasonably low also, good hood clearance. You can see it fairly clear in the photo. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/GOSFAST/PES%20Engines/th_148GEdelbrock.jpg (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/GOSFAST/PES%20Engines/148GEdelbrock.jpg)

sschevellefan
Dec 21st, 05, 7:01 PM
Thanks Gary. I`m going to use it on my next motor since I`ve already got it and I can`t see spending money on another intake untill I at least try this one. It`s already been ported buy the guy who did my old fuelie heads so it`s not stock and should flow pretty decent. Thanks again.

pdq67
Dec 21st, 05, 7:09 PM
I figure it would have a power band like that on a hopped up 283/292 motor of old..

And, I think it is about the best of the old single plane intakes b/c guys have said it runs not quite/almost as good as a the Victor Jr. up top.

pdq67

sschevellefan
Dec 21st, 05, 9:04 PM
It pulled great up to 7500 on my old 327. I think it could use a 1" spacer on a bigger motor.

Hippie
Dec 22nd, 05, 9:38 PM
Back in the day an acquaintance had a '63 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup with a stock 283, he threw a Scorpion intake on it with a Rochester 4GC. To our total disbelief it actually worked........ He drove 50 miles a day like that for 2 years!

bryce_gagne
Apr 22nd, 06, 7:21 AM
I'm currently running the same intake on my 383,and like you said seems to run good after 2500 rpm,under that the car wants to chuck,not sure if its the intake or carb set up,trying to work out the bugs.Its a brand new rebuild and I'm trying to take it easy with it but all its wants to do is GO!! no that I mind that.

pdq67
Apr 22nd, 06, 10:24 PM
He, He!!

And you can get a little-bitty bottle of bright red fingernail polish and paint the Scorpion red!

Didn't E-brock cast up a TM-1 single plane for Smokey after the Scorpion intake came out and before the Victor Jr. started??

Or is it a single 4-barrel crossram intake??

pdq67

64CDNSS
Apr 22nd, 06, 10:45 PM
The single quad cross ram was SY1 AKA The Smokey Ram.
Here is a good link on Edelbrock intakes.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/edel.htm

Smokey1961
Apr 22nd, 06, 11:01 PM
I had a TM-1 years ago IIRC I thought it was called a Tarantula? Had it on a 311 sm. blk in our 132" dragster about 1980 ish. Ran a Reed cam and twisted it around 8500.
Jeff