Did my '65 300 come with antenna?? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Did my '65 300 come with antenna??

68start
Nov 22nd, 05, 3:51 PM
Is there a way to know if my car came with an antenna or not? I have a í65 basic 300. The car came with no radio, but a radio block off plate (in box of stuff), and an antenna on the passenger side. By looking at the antenna hole, I cannot tell if someone hacked a hole there, or if itís a factory/dealer hole. Iím thinking about welding it up for the clean original basic look, and using a hidden electronic type antenna for a hidden stereo system.

Thanks,
MJ

Tom Hendricks
Nov 22nd, 05, 4:15 PM
I'm no 65 expert, but I'd say if your car had no radio, it had no antenna.

The gurus will be able to tell you if there was an antenna package only available, but I doubt it.

DaleM
Nov 22nd, 05, 4:53 PM
If 65s are anything like the 67s, look for other tell-tale signs like mulitple engine grounding straps and/or condenser on the voltage regulator. I've been told by knowledgable 67 guys that if there was no radio ordered (on 67s anyway), these grounding straps wouldn't be present.

Tom Hendricks
Nov 22nd, 05, 4:56 PM
I don't know how original your car is. It may be a radio delete car with a factory antenna hole if the fender came off of another car !!

68start
Nov 22nd, 05, 5:49 PM
The car "was" complete with original motor and all mechanics. Shows it's age, but solid, uncut, and a great start. I had the front clip off for paint and engine bay detailing, prior to dropping in a big block. The front end looks original to car with no replacement metal or signs of wrecks. I took LOTS of original disassembly pictures, so I'll look through them for ground straps. I've not yet seen a car as stripped as mine yet, absolutly no options. I can only assume the antenna was put on later, but wanted to make sure before filling in a hole.

Thanks,

MJ

Cam
Nov 22nd, 05, 6:02 PM
I think the previous poster that mentioned group straps was right on.

A possible exception might be on a Police car where RF interference would hamper 2-way radio. I rather doubt you have a Police car (they did actually make B02 Chevelles in '65 but they are very rare). Also later year GM cars did offer a 'radio accomodation kit' as an RPO.