Car cover or tarp? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Car cover or tarp?

Moloko
Sep 13th, 05, 7:27 AM
Im picking up my 49' this weekend, and I want to store it under something because the windows leak. I've heard to never store a car under a tarp, but I was curious to why? It wont scratch the paint because... well... there isnt any.

mr 4 speed
Sep 13th, 05, 8:40 AM
Tarps scare me.
I've seen plenty of good cars "age" very quickly covered with a tarp..its like a giant moisture trap.

Andy69
Sep 13th, 05, 8:46 AM
Im picking up my 49' this weekend, and I want to store it under something because the windows leak. I've heard to never store a car under a tarp, but I was curious to why? It wont scratch the paint because... well... there isnt any.

You want something that allows the moisture to escape. A good car cover will shed moisture for a while, then start letting it through (i.e. if it rains for a long time), but then it also allows it to evaporate. Moisture from the air will also evaporate after it condenses on the car. Plastic or anything that doesn't breathe will trap humid air under it, and condensation will collect both on the car and on the inside of the tarp. Basically, it traps the car in a giant moisure bath, particularly if you live in an area where it's really humid and the temp drops below the dew point at night (like here in Memphis). Spend an extra $200 and get a car cover - well worth it.

von
Sep 13th, 05, 9:59 AM
You can get "generic fit" car covers that are water repellent, breathe moisture, and (very important) block UV rays as inexpensive as $30 at chain auto parts stores. Or nicer custom fit ones for $140 up from specialty catalogs. If you have leaks, you can seal the leak with plastic sheet at the leak location only, then cover the whole car with the car cover.

docaudio
Sep 13th, 05, 12:12 PM
I your budget allows, there is also the cocoon type enclosure that you roll the car into, is filled with air, and totally seals the car inside. It would need protection from wind if outside, but NOTHING can get in - vermin, insects, etc.

MedicTed
Sep 13th, 05, 6:26 PM
You could invest in one of these (http://www.portablegarageusa.com/index.asp?referrer=GOOGLE_ADWORDS_GARAGEUSA). And then it would be out of the elements. And since they are a "tent", no building permits.

HemiTCoupe
Sep 13th, 05, 7:08 PM
I know people that use those portable garages, and they hold up through pretty strong storms. The guy up the street has had his '68 Camaro in it for years, year round. (Through Mn snow) He even has moved it to different places in his yard a couple of times.

Pat

Davec43
Sep 13th, 05, 7:52 PM
I bought one of those custom fit car covers I love it. But its real important that that its breathable. Like veryone else has said it will trap the moisture under it and sped up rusting and all the bad stuff. My advice would be to spend the 130 dollars on an expensive car cover. How much is a your car worth? Why not spend the money on something to protect it?

Hi-po SS 454
Sep 13th, 05, 11:42 PM
www.calcarcover.com

Dustinyork
Sep 14th, 05, 7:18 AM
oi had a tarp on a car for a few months and it trap so much moisture it ruined the paint and started to rust . after that i boughyt a used cover out of a local swap sheet for 20 dollars

Professor_SS
Sep 14th, 05, 7:46 AM
You could invest in one of these (http://www.portablegarageusa.com/index.asp?referrer=GOOGLE_ADWORDS_GARAGEUSA). And then it would be out of the elements. And since they are a "tent", no building permits.

I've had two of these and both were destroyed by summer thunder storms, one hit by lightening the other flung across the yard and wrapped around a tree, not worth the money in my humble opinion.

Andy69
Sep 14th, 05, 8:51 AM
I've had two of these and both were destroyed by summer thunder storms, one hit by lightening the other flung across the yard and wrapped around a tree, not worth the money in my humble opinion.

hope the car wasn't in it at the time.......... :D

10sec69
Sep 15th, 05, 9:47 AM
My wife bought me a California Car Cover for my birthday this year and it is awesome! It's a custon fit model and they even added a "box" where the blower comes through the hood. Very high quality. FWIW.

Moloko
Sep 15th, 05, 11:24 AM
I have a cali car cover for my 'velle, and it does the job, but I'm not really happy with the quality. As soon as I got it the stitching started coming apart. Any other brands for car covers?