Team Chevelle banner

EFI Conversion?

23K views 134 replies 16 participants last post by  phat1972 
#1 ·
I'm extremly close to biting the bullet and doing the Sniper EFI conversion on my 72 Chevelle. I'm tired of fighting with the edelbrock carb and it's to the point of "do I want to throw more money at this to maybe get results?"

It this conversion really as simple as:
1) Buy Sniper EFI Kit
2) Buy new tank
3) Buy new pump
4) Buy new sending unit
5) I've read some threads that say to buy a temp sensor

This just seems too simple.

What does everyone recommend for the fuel line setup? Use stock lines or go buy new lines and run them?

I also have an MSD Distributor and I've read on a couple threads the timing control modification on this might cause issues.

#2 ·
#10 ·
Yes the Sniper the FiTech both have built in regulators.

That line kit will probably come up short on hose. 25 feet isn't enough. You also may want to use 90 degree fittings at the throttle body for air filter clearance.

#3 ·
It is pretty much that simple. You can either get a tank set up for FI, like the one you linked or buy the sniper complete kit that comes with pump, filters, and hoses. Run a return line to the tank, a few wire connections and turn the key.

Depending on how in depth you want to go to have things controlled by the sniper it can be simple or frustrating as posted here many times. I only have it set up for basic system as of now, but still finishing up things on the car so not much driving yet. Seats are at upolustery shop, but still start to keep it fresh. Does seem to run rich right now, but I am sure that is due to lack of time to let it learn.

My personal set up is the tanks inc tank with aeromotive stealth fuel system. I ran Earls ptfe lines. MSD large HEI cap, but I haven't gotten to the point of letting sniper control timing yet.

#4 ·
The self learning systems really are simple. Having been through a couple of fuel systems, I would advise going with a good set up from the start. I used a gravity feed external pump that came with my system but it just seemed like a cheap get the job done system rather than a well though out set up. I ended up buying a new Spectra tank and adding an Aeromotive Phantom 340 in-tank pump and all new hard/braided lines for fuel delivery and return. My system is a TB system and I have found that fuel distribution is quite different to each port so I am in the process of converting to a multi-port system which should help immensely.

#5 ·
I did mine almost 20 years ago the edlebrock pro flow first generation. Still works like new. If I was to do it again I'd look for a used first or second gen I've seen them cheap in the past. You don't need the intake you can drill holes for the injectors and rails so a small block kit can work on a big block up to 450hp with original injectors. It's not as simple as just bolting on these new ones that look like carbs but you would save a lot if you can find a good deal.

#6 ·
Any feedback or recommendations on tanks and pumps? I want an intank pump personally.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Might be helpful to read the installation instructions. I know it's "like cheating" but there is a ton of information in there...

http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf

Holley also has a few, very helpful, videos on their youtube channel!

Andrew

Reactions: ChevelleFan70
#8 ·
I watched the install video and one question I have is they say the power and ground need to hook directly to the batter but mine is located in the trunk so that means I'll have to run the wires all the way back there unless someone has had success with other methods

#9 ·
Holley is adamant that the power leads go directly to the battery and I would not change that, even if someone "got away with it." On my Dominator ECU the power leads were extremely long and I could have easily routed them to a trunk mounted battery. I don't know how long the power leads are on the Sniper kits.

Andrew

#13 ·
I know some carbs only work with certain intakes. Is this the case for these EFI systems also?

#15 ·
Another question....i have a 396 with a mild cam and headers I know the smaller version is good to around 650Hp how many upgrades would it take to cross this line (dollars perspective) I'm trying to figure out if I'd ever cross the line of needing the bigger one

#16 ·
Dustin, that MSD HEI is a real expensive version of the GM HEI. nice piece, has adjustable mechanical and vacuum advance. The module is some MSD gizmo. There's only 4 wires to the module so this not likely ever going to be a computer controlled deal. You could just run it, leave off the computer timing which seems to a place of frustration for many.

That Tanks Inc stuff looks good and is reasonably priced.

#17 ·
I know I've been asking a ton of questions and thanks everyone for the responses so far. I'm leaning more and more towards ordering but still had a couple questions I wanted to iron out....
1) The intake question. I have a edelbroc victor JR (I think) and i'd prefer to save money and not swap if if I can avoid is will this work with the Holley?
2) Walbro 255 VS Aeromotive 340 are there any pros or cons? The Walbro setup from Tanks Inc. seems like a good deal. If I go walbro should I go for at least 255 lph?
3) The HP question (I know it's vague) but I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money on this kit and then re-do it a few years down the road becuase I added a few upgrades but I don't know how hard it will be to cross over that max HP with this car (fairly new to American muscle)

Thanks

#19 ·
Victor Jr will work great...as would any good aluminum intake.

Yes, at least a 255lph Walbro...if yiu think you'd need more, get the Walbro 400lph from TanksInc. I run mid 11's in a 4200# car with the 255lph...and that's at 70% injector duty cycle...so, PLENTY of cushion there with the 255

There is no "upgrade" to the current Sniper TBI...
The next one coming out is an 8 injector unit, which will be a lot more money...the $1000 one, is a four injector unit....that CAN support 680hp...and advertised at 625-650, depending on who's ad you see. The man who designed it, says 680...

#18 ·
Good plans so far.
I used my factory 3/8" steel line as the feed...most use it as the return. I wanted the feed, with its higher pressure, to be the stronger of the 2.
The GPA-4 pump supposedly will feed 630hp, I think it is.
Tanks Inc stuff is nice, and works well.
You will need 2 of the 1/4NPT to -6an adapters
I used 90's @ the throttle body for clearance
Doug Flynn, Holley's EFI guy, said the Sniper will support 680 hp at the maximum....
I tried and (somewhat) successfully used a "regular" small cap MSD distributor with Timing Control, but it was hard to start at times...and seemed to get worse and worse, actually breaking 3 starters...
Swapped to the $430 Holley Dual Sync EFI distributor and starts like a dream now...
There are guys on here who have used a small cap EFI GM distributor for running Timing Control, and some related threads on the how's and what's needed....

The whole "gotta run a single plane intake" BS is just that...BS.
I run a Weiand Stealth dual plane with no problems at.

Runs better than it did with any carb, ever.

Pretty much any situation or problem that you could possibly have, someone here has already had, or done, and can steer you in the right direction.

Looking forward to the install thread

#20 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses please keep them coming. So I just put together a shopping cart to see the total for everything and this is what I got..... Besides fuel line (sounds like about 25 feet to only run one new line and about 50 feet to replace both) am I missing anything else? Ignore the battery cable kit I want to swap out my 4 AWG wire for larger while I'm doing stuff since my battery is in the trunk.

Attachments

#23 ·
In your shopping list, you're probably going to want the Tanks FF-10-KIT, not just FF-10. The kit has included adapters from -6AN to those fittings on the fuel filter.

-Dave

#30 ·
Good catch thanks I thought it was a push the hose on and clamp it style.

That filter isn't going to work. It uses oem style quick disconnects. You could get some hose ends with those I suppose. I'd suggest you get a filter with -6 male ends and get 2 more -6 hose ends.

Rather than wait for the sniper you could get an FiTech 600hp unit today. I don't think there is any real difference between the two, both are good. One bonus of the FiTech is that it works perfectly with any inexpensive small cap HEI distributor if you want to do timing control. You don't need the $400 holley dual synch.

Oh and dual plane intakes are just fine as is the walbro 255 that comes in the tanks in setup. It's a good pump, I use them on everything from turbo subarus to my Chevelle. It's good up to 600 or so N/A.
I've read reviews on FITech's support and I think I'd rather wait. Thanks for the feedback on the fuel pump I've heard good things about the Walbro 255's.

There was a couple possible sources in this thread....

Holley Sniper EFI - Yellow Bullet Forums

There is also a place called EFI System Pro, who gets stuff from Holley, even before Summit/Jegs does...I got my CAN-USB adapter from them. I don't think its even available through Holley themselves yet.

EFI System Pro - Your One-Stop Source for Fuel Injection Systems and Information

I'm the only person on this site who has personally owned both the Fitech and the Holley Sniper...as well as having had to deal with both of their Customer Service Departments/Tech Support, and after doing so....I'd DEFINITELY WAIT...absolutely no question.

They are similar, but dollar for dollar, the better money spent is on the Holley.
Several more standard options
Real-time laptop tuning w/optional cable
Better software
Better support, by FAR....
Made in the USA.
Thank you for the feedback. I place the Holley on back order with Summit and I will call EFI Systems Pro tomorrow to check their availability (and see if they'd match the veteran pricing Summit gave). I've heard the same things about FITech's support and I'm glad someone with first hand experience chimed in.

#24 ·
That filter isn't going to work. It uses oem style quick disconnects. You could get some hose ends with those I suppose. I'd suggest you get a filter with -6 male ends and get 2 more -6 hose ends.

Rather than wait for the sniper you could get an FiTech 600hp unit today. I don't think there is any real difference between the two, both are good. One bonus of the FiTech is that it works perfectly with any inexpensive small cap HEI distributor if you want to do timing control. You don't need the $400 holley dual synch.

Oh and dual plane intakes are just fine as is the walbro 255 that comes in the tanks in setup. It's a good pump, I use them on everything from turbo subarus to my Chevelle. It's good up to 600 or so N/A.

#27 ·
One bonus of the FiTech is that it works perfectly with any inexpensive small cap HEI distributor if you want to do timing control. You don't need the $400 holley dual synch.
Several people on this forum are using the (officially unsupported) small and large cap HEI dizzys with timing control without any problems. Ironically, it's the much more expensive (and officially supported) MSD units that people run into problems with.

#25 ·
In your shopping list, you're probably going to want the Tanks FF-10-KIT, not just FF-10. The kit has included adapters from -6AN to those fittings on the fuel filter. It's a good setup, as you then have a commonly available OEM filter. I've had that setup on my car for a few years.

-Dave

#36 ·
Schwany.....i understand what you're saying and what I meant by defective was something wrong with the unit out of the box not related to installation to where it has to be replaced.

#42 ·
Schwany.....i understand what you're saying and what I meant by defective was something wrong with the unit out of the box not related to installation to where it has to be replaced.
If you understand me, that is a first.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just get the shiny natural finish Holley Sniper if they are available, and I wanted to install and run with it before it starts raining again. As a couple of people have mentioned, you can't really see the throttle body with a 3-inch or larger dropped 14 inch diameter air cleaner unless you get down real close to radiator cap level, or the car is up on 20-inch stands.

#40 ·
FiTech is definitely out of the question for me. Problems with the FCC, more problems with the handheld unit and on top of that, no technical help at all from FiTech… :mad:…no thanks, not for me. :noway:
I much prefer to do what "T_R" said "to wait the whole summer for the Holley". I'm not in a hurry and if I don't do the conversion this summer then fine, I'll just do it next year. Simple as that!
Claude.:)

#47 ·
I guess I need to clarify.

It was 6 weeks from the day it was supposed to be shipped, until the day I finally received it.
Bryce said it was in stock, and that he'd ship it out that day.
The car was barely driven, so about 4 weeks (give or take) later, yet another call and instant amnesia...
Then another 2 weeks, went by before actually getting it.
I verified it worked, then removed the whole setup and sold it...then mailed them back the original, defective handheld.

The actual throttle body itself...I never had an issue with.
Just EVERYTHING else related to it...

Just my opinion, but 2 years later, they're not really a fresh, or beginner start-up company anymore...
I was MORE than patient with them for nearly a year, as many can attest to.
I also fully understood they were a new company, but if they don't figure it out soon, they won't ever be an "old" company, IMO...

#50 ·
Well in that case your 6 week wait is unacceptable. I agree.

I still like their product. I would buy another one and would recommend other buy it. I personally do not need any tech support from them. Perhaps it should be better, but I really don't care. There is actually a lot of good information on their website.

#51 ·
So somethings have changed.... Thanks everyone for the input.

I called EFISystemPro today and they had the Holley in stock. They were unable to match summits pricing ($945 + free shipping + no sales tax) but they did offer me a discount and I ended up at $1001 and they have it in stock so overall I'm happy yes it cost me a little more but I don't have to wait and I supported a smaller business and fellow veteran.

Now I just need to order the rest of the stuff from Summit.

Reactions: rel3rd
#52 ·
OP, I would suggest you add this to your consideration list: Black AEM 50-1005 380LPH -8 an8 8an 6an -6 an6 Fuel Pump 2L surge tank 044 bosch | eBay

When I was following the Sniper/FITech installs threads intently, there was some chatter about problems with some of the fuel injection style gas tanks. I'll be using the Clean Injection tank on my FI install-which took a pretty hard left turn since I was considering Sniper/FITech/FAST systems.

And OP, rel3rd offers excellent experience and guidance here.

Reactions: rel3rd
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.