Fitech Accel Pump and Temp - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Fitech Accel Pump and Temp

I can't seem to find where to adjust the operating temp. All the settings are based on 20 degrees, 65 and 170. I have a 160 T-stat, so I can't reach the set 170.

Also, what do you guys run for accell pump #'s ? I had some lean popping between shifts and downshifting and Fitech told me to throw some more fuel at the big block.

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (origional out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with Comp Thumper cam (at 050 227 int./241 exh, lift 0.498 int./0.483 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, and 3.73's behind all this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 12:55 PM
T_R
Tech Team
Tom

Re: Fitech Accel Pump and Temp

You can change the temp break points if you wanted to. But keep in mind if you do, it will affect everything, not just accel pump. You really don't have to, the ECU will interpolate based on actual temp. It doesn't just jump for the 65 degree setting to the 170. Also just because you have a 160 stat doesn't mean it actually runs 160 all the time, that is just a minimum once it's warmed up.

Add 10 at a time to the accel pump and see if it gets better. Mine are currently at the default settings and it runs ok. I have tried adding 10 then 20 when chasing another problem and it maybe seemed a tiny bit better all around, but put it back to default and gave up chasing that issue. Adding 30 was too much it rich bogged.

Tom

66 Chevelle crew cab 454 FiTech /TKO 600 5 speed
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 1:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks Tom, I did the same thing. They told me to add 50 to the pump and the popping improved a lot, but I think I'm getting a rich bog like you said.

What T-stat do you have in your 454?

I know these units are set up for a 350. I wish Fitech had a baseline to start for various common motors

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (origional out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with Comp Thumper cam (at 050 227 int./241 exh, lift 0.498 int./0.483 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, and 3.73's behind all this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 1:46 PM
Tech Team

Fuel injection works best with 180 to 200, change out that t-stat
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 10:17 PM
Tech Team
Tj

Also note that the labels may not change for some of the gauges when you change the break points. That threw me at first but the settings were actually changing so its just the labels that stay at the defaults.

Sorry no Chevelle, 73 Cadillac Eldorado - Fairly stock low comp 500cid.
FiTech Go4 600 - Timing control via gutted 7 pin large cap HEI - Fuel RobbMc Powersurge with returns.
Previous system was Megasquirt w/Holley TBI so I am not new to DIY EFI
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 11:23 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelgado View Post
I can't seem to find where to adjust the operating temp. All the settings are based on 20 degrees, 65 and 170. I have a 160 T-stat, so I can't reach the set 170.

Also, what do you guys run for accell pump #'s ? I had some lean popping between shifts and downshifting and Fitech told me to throw some more fuel at the big block.
You can change the High Temp Breakpoint in the Breakpoints sub menu, under Pro Tuning menu. The advatange to doing this, is the system will add a percentage of fuel until it hits the "high temp" setting.

So by lean popping, you're popping out the intake?

You have a manual car, have you lowered your DFCO settings yet? I find the defaults way to high for a manual car. And suggest changing the DFCO cut map to 16, and DFCO Return map to 18, as a starting point. I find this can help the popping, as default DFCO can sometimes kick in when the clutch is engaged.

1968 Skylark Convertible
383 Stroker, Turbo 350, 3.73 Posi
FiTech GoEFI4 600
RobbMC PowerSurge 500
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 11:25 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Eldo View Post
Also note that the labels may not change for some of the gauges when you change the break points. That threw me at first but the settings were actually changing so its just the labels that stay at the defaults.
Correct. The menu labels are hard coded into the Cal_info .inf and Mon_info .inf files. If you were going to permanently adjust a setting, you could edit those .inf files to reflect the new setting. Or just remember that it's not stock setting lol

1968 Skylark Convertible
FiTech GoEFI4 600
RobbMC PowerSurge 500
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 8:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabors View Post
You can change the High Temp Breakpoint in the Breakpoints sub menu, under Pro Tuning menu. The advatange to doing this, is the system will add a percentage of fuel until it hits the "high temp" setting.

So by lean popping, you're popping out the intake?

You have a manual car, have you lowered your DFCO settings yet? I find the defaults way to high for a manual car. And suggest changing the DFCO cut map to 16, and DFCO Return map to 18, as a starting point. I find this can help the popping, as default DFCO can sometimes kick in when the clutch is engaged.
Oh no, it's popping through the exhaust when down shifting and between shifts on hard accelleration.

Here's where I'm at right now

[/URL]

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 11:01 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelgado View Post
Oh no, it's popping through the exhaust when down shifting and between shifts on hard accelleration.

Here's where I'm at right now

[/URL]
That's what I figured. Drop the Cut MAP and Return MAP by 10 each. And I bet that will mostly go away.

1968 Skylark Convertible
FiTech GoEFI4 600
RobbMC PowerSurge 500
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 11:10 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

High jacking question

Marty (Nabors)

Do you know if DFCO Return Fuel gets modified by the fuel learn function? Mine is at 40, and I cant remember why or if I ever changed it from the default value of 65.

Mike,
I run a 160 stat in my motor and the only time it runs near 160 is when I'm moving over 30 mph. It generally sits at around 178 until I get stuck in traffic, then it'll go as high as 200 if I sit still long enough in hot weather. I think my situation is goofy though. I still run a belt driven fan, and I might have air trapped in the motor somewhere. It gurgles sometimes when I jack the front end up.

I fooled around with my temperature breakpoints trying to force a faster learn (yet another mistaken theory I came up with), but I think the defaults are probably better for the engine. If your motor really stays at 160 fully warmed up, you probably want the fuel to remain slightly richer. Once the motor hits your high temp value, a small percentage of fuel gets taken out. A cooler motor usually likes more fuel.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/350+, 700R4
FiTech GoEFI 4 600HP Fuel Injection
Wannabe Pro Cruzer
'68 P-11 Norton
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks Marty, i'll try lowering those #'s

Steve, that's odd about the gurgling. Did you drill a small hole in your T-stat to let it bleed?

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 11:07 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
High jacking question

Marty (Nabors)

Do you know if DFCO Return Fuel gets modified by the fuel learn function? Mine is at 40, and I cant remember why or if I ever changed it from the default value of 65.
While I can't say for certain. I don't see anything that would indicate it will change that on it's own.

1968 Skylark Convertible
FiTech GoEFI4 600
RobbMC PowerSurge 500
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 11:12 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
While I can't say for certain. I don't see anything that would indicate it will change that on it's own.
I figured it out not too long after posting that. I couldn't delete it cuz I was driving somewhere, and then forgot about it later.

On my car if I leave DFCO Return Fuel at the default of 65, idle does not settle quickly when I let off the throttle. That is why I changed it to 40 and bumped up Dry Ring Fill PW a little. Doh!

'65 Chev El Camino
350/350+, 700R4
Wannabe Pro Cruzer
'68 P-11 Norton
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 1:38 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
I figured it out not too long after posting that. I couldn't delete it cuz I was driving somewhere, and then forgot about it later.

On my car if I leave DFCO Return Fuel at the default of 65, idle does not settle quickly when I let off the throttle. That is why I changed it to 40 and bumped up Dry Ring Fill PW a little. Doh!
That shouldn't affect it that much. At least not at much as lowering the Decel Open IAC value. But if it worked I'll have to file it away in the memory banks.

1968 Skylark Convertible
FiTech GoEFI4 600
RobbMC PowerSurge 500
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 7:17 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
That shouldn't affect it that much. At least not at much as lowering the Decel Open IAC value. But if it worked I'll have to file it away in the memory banks.
Big difference with no load on my engine in park for some reason. There could have been be something else going on though, sticky throttle for a couple of blips perhaps, but it was noticeable when I let off the throttle after trying 65 and then putting it back to my previous 40. I know I didn't change the Decel Open IAC, which does do what it is supposed to do.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/350+, 700R4
Wannabe Pro Cruzer
'68 P-11 Norton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.